Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293685 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2010, 12:06:58 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Galena, 309

Gods, when things go nuts, they really go nuts.  Catten Kolesis the Axedwarf has finally started building something in the mechanic’s workshop she claimed.  She seems possessed and keeps muttering about Xest that beast we saw in the caves.  That’s a rather frightening prospect.

Kivish Sibrekad is slowly climbing his way out of the mines.  He finally let someone carry him up to the hospital.  I think he had some idea about toughing it out, but with that many injuries it would have taken him months to get there.  It’s a miracle he survived that fall. 

We’re still working at cleaning up from the sabotage.  Still no hints about who might be responsible. 

I got a rather obscure note from Syntic today.  I’ll refrain from writing anything further here; he’s made me a bit more paranoid.  I’ll try to meet up with him in a few weeks.  There’s just no way to slip off until after the dang human diplomat goes away. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Galena, 309

Well she built a rather impressive mechanism.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’m not sure what the significance of it but I’m concerned about her constant mutterings about Xest while she was building it.  Catten Kolesis has no recollection of what caused the possession.  The last thing she remembers is cleaning up the blood in the flooded hallway.  I’ve had it checked over but there are no signs of what might have caused the problem. 

The diplomat is still following me around.  I’ve got a lot to do before I can have that meeting though. 

Medical Chart for Kivish Sidrekadek, Miner - 22nd of Galena, 309

The patient suffered severe injuries from a fall caused by a cave in on the 14th of Galena 309.  After diagnosis, the following injuries are noted: 

The following sets of treatments are scheduled: 

This will be an extensive job.  Since he has survived this long, the biggest worry at this point is infection. 

OOC: @Syntic: Cog is currently being chased around by the diplomat and won’t be able to meet with Syntic until next month sometime.  But what you’ve posted is a decent and obvious solution.  I think you’re right about the tasks of the fortress guard but we’ll find out when we get there.  I’ll have to get a jail in place before I promote you though; there are a couple of violated production orders on the books that are potential targets for an inquisition.  I’d hate to have those turned into beatings. 

@bayar: At the moment the hospital is as makeshift as the rest of the core fortress.  That’s a simple result of putting all the forts resources into the dining hall project.  Half the original dormitory was converted into a hospital after a particularly nasty battle. 

Also, you have one staff member named Mistem Stinthadam.  She’s got very similar skills and the two of you take turns at the jobs. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:12:58 am by Battlecat »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:14 am »

Cog’s Journal, 25th of Galena, 309

Today we had a clear sign of just how long we have been living and working here at Towersoared.  The oldest daughter of Amsel and Vucar came of age at 12 today. She is no long a child but an adult with all responsibilities that come with it! 

For now she gets to start as a hauler but she may be promoted to additional responsibilities in the future.  In a couple more years the first children actually born in Towersoared will come of age. 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Galena, 309

Apparently Shorast Isoneral is back on his feet.  Amazingly despite his extensive injuries our most injury prone Hammerdwarf was back in training this morning.  That’s fantastic news and it helps clear my mind after spending 10 hours with the human diplomat yammering in my ear.  I wish the man would just stop coming he really doesn’t say anything useful. 

At least the traders are useful.  Along with the normal stuff, I stocked up heavily on thread to ensure we have enough stock to put our dwarves back together. 

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Limestone, 309

One down, one to go.  I hope Derm likes this one. 

I haven’t gotten the cinnabar statue on the schedule yet.  The masons have had their hands full replacing various materials that were destroyed.  We should finally be caught up by the end of the month and then I’ll get some statues queued up using cinnabar. 

On another note, I’d like to congratulate Syntic on his initiative for suggesting we start a fortress guard to help guard against acts of sabotage in the future.  It’s a sensible suggestion and one that I was already considering.  I’ll be assigning Syntic as the Captain of the Guard as soon as the interim jail is finished. 

While the grand plan for the jail will take more time that we have, I feel that a temporary jail that will be completely cut off from the fort when the caves are sealed will be fairly unsettling for our local criminals.

OOC:

@Derm: Your first statue is completed above.  Hope you like it! 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:14:44 am by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2010, 10:26:52 am »

:D 8)

Now to get one of my more legendary enemies on a cinnabar statue so people can see my prowess and leadership-even though i always seem to do things solo.

Anyway-

Derm canceles post: Playing Mass Effect 1.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2010, 03:07:13 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 27th of Limestone, 309

This is horrible.  Today I was forced to order the destruction of 30 beds, 20 barrels several bins of leather and other miscellaneous items.  All were damaged beyond usability.  Now they’re just taking up space.  They’ll all be destroyed in the magma over the next few weeks.  Our woodworkers will not be pleased though, some of the beds were masterwork quality.

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Sandstone, 309

I saw the most amazing thing today.  Kivish lives! 

Good natured teasing aside, he still seems a bit faint from blood loss, but he was ready and eager to get back to work.  I hope he isn’t jumping the gun on this so I’ve asked him to just relax for a few more weeks at least.

I also took a minute to check in on the cinnabar statue project for Derm the Soulchopper.  Let’s just say that after all this time the only statue that even comes close is one of a different battle back in 304.  And it shows a goblin being killed by a different member of the squad.  The project shall continue. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Sandstone, 309

To help clear my mind from the chaos of the past few weeks, I took a walk around the fortress and up into the nearby hills to help clear my mind.  Nothing says inspiration like seeing projects nearing completion.  I brought some colored chalks with me and took a moment to sketch some pictures of our home.

I first went up into the hills above the future location of our main entrance hall.  The dining hall is nearing completion.  The glass for the stained glass windows isn’t in place yet but you can see where they will be in the future. 

On my way back down the hill I wandered past the pyramid.  It’s about the same height as the dining hall. 

This image was sketched standing at the far end of the upper edge of the construction site looking down into the depths.  Again, the future site of the window is visible from here.  The golden bowl is also visible from here, attached to the wall about halfway down the wall at the far end.  I’m looking forward to finishing the project associated with this. 

I made a brief stop in the entrance dome.  It’s not easy to capture this space yet since there’s nowhere to stand to get a good view.  Once the entrance hall is done it should be easier to see.  But this should help convey the scale of the dome.

Last but not least I made a brief stop at the floor of the dining hall.  Standing under the gold bowl, the spiral stair is a dominant feature of the far end of the hall.

It’ll look even better once it’s done.  All in good time though, there are still many things left to accomplish. 

OOC:  The 3D visualizer called Fortress Overseer is coming along nicely.  It’s nice to finally get a peek at the appearance of Towersoared in 3D.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:16:59 am by Battlecat »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2010, 06:41:43 pm »

I can haz stonesense?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2010, 11:23:28 pm »

I can haz stonesense?
No. but i will concede a cheezburger
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »

nnCog’s Journal, 12th of Timber, 309

It appears my earlier celebration was premature.  I’m sorry to have to report that Kivish passed away this morning from a severe infection.  Apparently despite the best efforts of our doctors, one of his injuries got infected.  It overcame him this morning as he was making his way upstairs to eat.    Gone but not forgotten, he was a fine worker, well liked by many in the fortress. 

So everyone raise a glass to Kivish, the dwarf who survived a collapse and an 11 story fall. 

Events of the 16th of Timber, 309

Zastit Udibstakud the Mason was busily working away at this slightly unpleasant request from Derm the Soulchopper and Cog.  He certainly didn’t have any issue with working with stone and he certainly appreciated the works of Derm the Soulchopper.  But why did it have to be cinnabar, the poison stone? 

It certainly didn’t help that the creation of a statue was an organic process.  Even when the request was specific, once work began on a given statue, the characteristics of the stone would drive the design in a particular direction.  Cinnabar was particularly frustrating to work with.  But, as he put the final polish on his latest work, he realized he had finally accomplished his goal. 

Maybe he could finally get back to working with nicer stones like marble now. 

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Moonstone, 309

Finally I have small moment to myself.  Apparently Ushrir Bomrekurol the Glassmaker started babbling madly as he was walking out to the glassworks.  It caught the attention of the Liaison and he left me to go see what was going on for a moment.  Hopefully I’ll be around to find out what he makes, this dolt from mountainhomes is making me envy Kivish.  The liaisons seems to get dumber every year. 

Crap, he’s coming back. 

Cog’s Journal, 11th of Moonstone, 309

This idiot just wouldn’t stop talking.  2 and half weeks stuck talking with this idiot and he couldn’t even answer a simple question like “why haven’t we seen any new migrants in the past couple years?”  Bah. 

On a brighter note Ushrir finished up his artifact.  That’s one snazzy bracelet.

Now that the idiot liaison is finally gone, it’s time to get on to more unpleasant duties.  I’ve got a small list of criminals that I’ll be handing to Syntic when I appoint him to the position of Captain of the Guard in the next couple days.

OOC: 

@breadbocks: Yup, I’ll still be using that as well.  I just wanted to take Overseer for a test drive as well.  I’m eagerly waiting for the next release of stonesense, especially if it makes the glass actually green again.  I’ll post some fresh shots when it comes out. 

@Dermonster: At long last, I think this should do.  I’ll let you know if anything epic comes along in other materials.   

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2010, 12:32:57 pm »

I would have preffered the forgotten beast or the giantesses or the GCS but this is more generic and i suppose i do more of that anyway.

IN MY ROOM IT GOES!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »

Kivish lives!

Kivish passed away

D:

Reports of Michael Theateryawn, MD:

Well, we finished up the unpleasant task of conducting an autopsy on Kivish. Apparently, a nasty case of infection lead to his death. The cause of infection is still unknown. It could have been from cleaning water used to prepare the operations, it could be the close proximity of the hospital to the sleeping quarters (like real close, sharing the room without even a wall between them), it could be from the working conditions or something else entirely. But one thing is clear. We cannot afford to screw up again. I'll go talk to Cog about securing a private well for the new hospital once it will be constructed, to avoid cross-contamination with the fortress's drinking wells.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »

Martini barges into Cog's office in a deep rage.

M: What have you done?

C: What do you mean?

M: The damn "Fortress Guard" Syntic! That's what I mean. Can't you see what he's been trying to do? He's been sowing chaos in you. Look at yourself! You're a damn mess. He's got you jumping at shadows! Nothings! Why? Because he got you thinking Derm would turn on us! If he does, no questions, we're screwed. What reason do you have to believe that scumbag? If he's going to be arresting criminals, he needs to start with himself for treason! Snap out of it, Cog! He made you so paranoid, everything makes you miserable. And how do you punish the sick fuck? You put him in a position to stop people who want to stop him from pushing you over the edge.  End this now Cog.

Martini crashes out of the room, leaving a visibly shaken Cog

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

Something concerns me, I've so far I've only been being most private with my desires, as well as my concerns. But today I heard from someone that there was yelling going on in Cog's Office between him and someone else that is a normally fairly relaxed individual. The topic of conversation was about myself, my desires and my concerns. Now considering that I've only spoken to Cog about these things in private and in writing, that suggests to me that my concerns are very well founded. Someone is listening in on Cog's Office or reading his or my own private notes.

Personally, I don't believe that the person that was yelling at Cog has played any part in those actions, but I suspect that whomever has been acting as a spy has also been spreading rumors. Likely leaving out important bits of information or twisting things to suit their own needs. So that begs the question, what would be my best course of action at this point. It's obvious that someone is trying to keep me from being in charge of the guard, by getting people to dislike the idea even before any public announcement has been made.

I could go talk with the angry individual personally, but he's likely to think that I bare him ill will if I bring up the conversation. I could go talk to talk to Cog about the conversation, but all that would likely do is increase his paranoia and make him believe that I was trying to manipulate him. No my best bet at this time will be simply to carry on doing various tasks like normal until Cog makes the official announcement or decides to change his mind. Until then, should this angry individual decide to focus his anger towards me I believe I will be simply ready to challenge him to a drinking contest for his insult to my honor.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:07 am »

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Moonstone, 309

The prison is done such as it is.  There are beds for all the rooms.  It’s a punishment, but if I was sentenced by a duke for something, I’d still want somewhere comfortable to sleep.  Being confined in a 3x3 room so close to the caves should be more than sufficient punishment. 

I had a rather unpleasant visit from Martini recently.  I'm going to leave aside the fact that he somehow found out about the private conversation between Syntic and myself.  I’m more taken aback and surprised that Martini actually reacted with something other than a cheerful drugged stupor.  This is obviously very important to him and certainly has made me sit back and think about this plan at least a bit.

It’s readily obvious to me that Martini wasn’t spying on me.  It’s fairly apparent he only has partial information based on his ranting.  He called me paranoid, certainly that’s a hard thing to deny given everything that has happened since I left Mountainhome.  To see so many fine crafts destroyed is hard enough.  To have our nobility back home go out of their way to try and stop me is truly painful.  Is it really paranoia when you have absolute evidence that someone is out to get you?  Sadly, I have to do something, doing nothing would be the worst possible reaction to such horrible sabotage. 

So, it’s time for a solution that won’t please anybody entirely.  I’ve called Syntic and Martini into my office today.  They should be here shortly. 

Syntic will be promoted to Captain of the Guard due to his initiative in suggesting solutions to the problem of sabotage within Towersoared.  I’m going to ask Martini to join the guard as Syntic’s deputy to ensure that all are treated fairly and that there is no abuse of the responsibility. 

This assignment is non-negotiable.  I’m still putting him on the roster to ensure some balance even if Martini decides to completely ignore the assignment.  Besides, if he’s this concerned and passionate about how Syntic will behave as a guard, this seems like a reasonable solution.  Also, Martini might have some idea about who he heard about my conversation with Syntic from.  This should be an interesting meeting.  Heh, very interesting indeed. 

One last thing to commit to paper.  I’m not worried about Derm the Soulchopper turning against us or losing his mind.  That would be like worrying that an earthquake is going to flatten our home.  It might happen but there’s no use in worrying about something beyond our control.  If it happens, our military might be able to stop him or they might side with him.  That's beyond my control, so the idea mostly just amuses me.  A bit grim, but it's even more entertaining when I picture Derm going nuts back at mountainhome with a large supply of idiot nobles to dismantle. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Moonstone, 309

Michael Theateryawn came by my office with some suggestions about the future hospital.  I hadn’t even considered the importance of a dedicated water supply and isolation for the hospital.  I’ll add that to the design.  With only a couple more floors to excavate in the dining hall, the new hospital will be the next project assigned to mining crew one.  I'm also going to examine obtaining a cleaner water supply.  The only water we have right now is from those surface ponds that are of suspect quality. 

OOC: Interesting times are ahead!

@dermonster: Yeah, I would have preferred that as well, but after more than 20 statues that don’t fit the mandate, I was happy to get even one!

@bayar: Noted and planned.  The biggest problem with the hospital right now seems to be a bug in the game.  Namely that the doctors stand around idle for ages in game before taking care of the next task.   

@breadbocks: Congratulations, Martini has volunteered himself for the fortress guard.  He’s got some spare time considering our constant shortage of bone.  I’ll take him out if you think Martini would completely ignore this assignment. 

@Syntic: Heh, rumors are pretty likely since someone is obviously spying.  This should be an interesting pairing. 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2010, 04:11:22 pm »

Martini had no informant. He saw you getting more troubled and decided to follow you to see what the problem was.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2010, 11:19:46 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

I was down to the freshly cut out cells today and I must say that they are rather nice. Though, I might not have built them so spacious myself or had the walls and floors smoothed. But I do suppose there are two schools of thought of imprisonment. One way being to have cells that look dark and damp in the hopes of striking fear into the criminal, and the other being cells that look to be well built and secure, so that the criminal knows they have no chance of escape. It's clear that Cog has decided to go the second route, and looking at all the traps along the hallway to the caverns, I think it does a good job.

So far I haven't heard any more complaints from Martini, though that might be due to his new position. Hopefully as time goes by he sees that I've only ever been concerned about the growth and safety of Towersoared.

As I right that, I wonder if Cog has an epic tower planned for the surface. Humans tend to get confused by the concept of underground towers, and might endlessly ask future generations "But why call it Towersoared if there is no tower?" Would solve those questions if we built a good sized tower on the surface. Of course I want to see the the grand dining hall at least to a point where we can start having meals there before the next epic project is started.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2010, 01:51:05 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Opal, 309

Martini immediately told me he didn’t have an informant, he was just following me out of concern for my mental state.  I certainly appreciate his honesty and I’m quite comfortable with the idea of keeping him in the guard for now assuming he has no issues with the idea. 

Here is the list of noted criminals and their assigned sentences identified by Syntic and Martini: 

Ilral Nisgakfikod – 26 Days
   Limul Asmellular – 26 Days
   Mebzuth Onulgigin – 51 Days
   Zan Limululzetst – 101 Days

All of these are dwarves who have violated critical production orders in the past couple years.  Additionally, some of their recent activities make me suspect they were involved in the sabotage of 309.  Zan Limululzetst has apparently been noted as the ringleader having been seen organizing several dwarves and sneaking off the job on occasion.  A few months in jail should dampen their interest in causing trouble. 

I really hope we’ve seen the end of this.  It’s time to get on with finishing the dining hall and laying the groundwork for new projects.  I’ve given new orders to the glassmakers.  The production of green glass tubes and corkscrews has begun.  Soon the mechanics will have a huge amount of work ahead as well.

Events of the 16th of Obsidian, 309

Alath Zanoronul was the youngest miner in the fortress.  Indeed, having only come of age a few months earlier she was the youngest adult in the fortress.  She had been resigned to many years as a hauler before the opportunity to take on a trade would come around.  But instead she was handed a pick 3 months after coming of age.  Already she was quite competent as a miner and she was getting better by the day.

Unfortunately, it meant that she got the short straw when it was time to breach the magma channel to flood the area around the spiral stairway.   At least this area would be comparatively safe.  The magma was quite sluggish this far from the magma pipe.  Still, she had heard stories about the danger, and Cog was insisting on a clean cut which meant she had to work down in the channel rather than from above. 

She swung her pick several times at the first breach.  Sluggishly, the magma flowed forth, leaving her plenty of time to get clear.  She moved on to the second point right near the exit and swung her pick again.  The stone quickly gave way and the magma surged out, nearly cutting off her route.  She dodge back and then around the rapidly spreading flood and through the door.  She quickly slammed and locked the door behind her. 

That was close but it went far better than she had expected.  The magma would make a lovely decorative ring around the entrance hallway once everything was channeled out. 

OOC:

@breadbocks: Fair enough, I think Cog is still comfortable with having you in the guard if you would like.  I don’t have them on training shifts, so it seems you pretty much you just do your usual work. 

@Syntic: An epic Tower is on the books but it’ll be a while before I get it going. 
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 118