Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293706 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »

I say we get a REALLY FANCY throne for cog made of platinum and studded with 152 bones.
the way to do that would be to make a one unit stockpile for just thrones (and if possible, platinum) build a craftsdorf shop next to it, and set the stub with bone on repeat.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »

Notes: "Is Cog jealous of other's achievements that he wants them displayed behind glass?" was, I had hoped, obviously, a joke more than anything.

Adker would really been happy with just an extra bed in his room instead of asking for a room for his kids from Cog.

Regardless, I am very fond of the story and await what happens next. I will post Adker's opinion on the beast being butchered and his daughter's craftsdwarfship tomorrow.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:36 pm »

The only Axe that I will ever name will either be Adamantine or an artifact.

Might i suggest we breach the second layer for more live combat? Or for just no reason at all.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2010, 09:55:05 am »

Just wanted to drop in and tell you guys how awesome this is!

I only just started playing Dwarf Fortress, and after reading this story I can see just how grand and epic this game can get!  I look forward to future installments.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:35 am »

Journal of Adker Rithasas, Marksdwarf. 30th of Slate:

So I went and asked the bone carvers and it turns out they had to break the giant monster's shell into pieces. I saw them and they said that there's 34 of them in there. They are still as big as shields! I mean the shell pieces not the bonecarvers (although they are also not much bigger than a shield)

4th of Felsite, 311:
I can't find Tulon anywhere! I asked my neibor and she said that Tulon was running around babbeling! I'd ask Mr Cog, but he's already so busy and I must solove this problem myself.

6th of Felsite, 311
Tulon apparently took over a bonecarver's workshop. It seems she got into an odd mood and wanted to make something. I hope she will do OK. Most dwarfs who get these moods make something very epic, but she's so little and might hurt herself.

12th of Felsite, 311
Tulon came back! I was about to tell Mr Cog that giving my kids an extra room is just too much trouble but not that my little girl did this maybe she's earned her own room. Vucar says that she only made a simple hammer and its no big deal but I say that anyone this young who makes a warhammer that any dwarf'd say is good quality is a jenius. Mr Cog said that this hammer is going to one of our elite hammerdwarfs, even though they already had steel hammers, so it's gotta be good.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2010, 12:11:22 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 10th of Hematite, 311

Today I began design and installation of the first pumps in our planned pump stacks that will eventually provide water to the surface and power facility.  It’s a most exciting turn of events because once we have power, all sorts of other interesting things become possible.  It’s going to take a long time to finish this up though but it’s nice to get started.

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Malachite, 311

Well apparently the Elves were a bit more stoned than usual.  They departed through the caves rather than our front entrance like normal people.  Today we found the body of one merchant next to the corpse of a large horned troll.  The Elf had a hole the size of the troll’s horn in it head and the Troll’s head was caved in from what looked like a horses hoof.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That would have been an interesting fight to see.

Cog’s Journal, 12th of Malachite, 311

Zasit Bibanedem is the second child of Asmel and Vucar.  He recently came of age at 12 years old.  Shortly after he came of age there was apparently an election and he beat out his sister for the position of mayor this time.  I only found out because he came by to let me know that he would like a bucket made. 

I guess he’ll need an office and private dining room as per usual. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Malachite, 311

Apparently Erith Sigunesmul really likes his shield:

I think it’s the only iron shield still being used by our military.  When asked, he said he felt rather attached to it and didn’t want to give it up for a steel shield. 

OOC: Apparently all sorts of things can get named by our military dwarves.  I’m really glad they show up as a different color in the artifacts list. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Probably not a bad bet to make at least some bolts.  Maybe I can get started on the training of marksdwarves again. 

@breadbocks: That’s pretty nuts.  While I probably won’t use all 152 bones on this, I’ll certainly see about doing an excessive amount of decoration on a platinum throne. 

@ushilzagith:  Sounds good, the statement could be been taken as a criticism as well.  :)  No worries at all!  Adker has his extra bed for now, but I do like to assign separate rooms to children as soon as possible so the space is earmarked when they hit adulthood.  Thanks kindly, glad you like the story.  I’ve been enjoying Adker’s journal entries as well.

@dermonster: It would be pretty cool if your dwarf simply refused on those grounds.  As it is, I have no idea what the criteria are for naming a weapon, as indicated by the naming of the shield above.  As for the next layer of caves, I’m down with that plan.  I’ll dispatch a group of miners as soon as they finish up their current projects. 

@Crifmer:  Thanks!  A lot of it comes down to interpretation of events.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:35:31 am by Battlecat »

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »

I am a snarky bastard. While when new to a forum, I try to keep it down, I am used to and comfortable with people being wholly aware of this trait of mine. I quite like writing for Adker, actually most of the non-bit-part characters I tend to write tend to be intelligent, or at least of the sort who believe themselves to be smarter than average. A simple little guy who is wholly aware of being a simple little guy is... refreshing.

PS: This has probably been suggested before and I just missed it, but maybe the naming has got to do with item preferences? If Derm likes neither axes nor steel, he would have less of a chance to name his axe? Do those axedwarves who have named their weapons have more reason to like them than those who haven't?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2010, 02:30:15 pm »

check that dwarf's inventory he might be using his shield as a weapon... yea better than a backpack i suppose  ::)
(see Headshoots)
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »

If I recall correctly, that epic handbag was capable of tearing apart foes who wore full adamantium armour.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »

god it was awesome
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

TinReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:43 pm »

can i claim a dorf?

Dorf name: tin reaper
prefrence to Liking swords and male

Siege operator and engineer. doesnt need to start with the skill, they can be trained

Sudgestion: siege engine defenses for the caves? 700+ bolts to kill one forgottern beast seems excesive. mabe a few balista or catapaults? for the more dagerous creatures.

another project: siege engine training area. specialy to get rid of the excess stone.

i'll make up some designs for a kill tunnel later

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2010, 11:34:13 pm »

Ballistae, definitely. Battlecat, what have I been doing recently?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:57 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 26th of Malachite, 311

Somehow I don’t think Derm will be disappointed about not fighting the eight legged turtle for long.

This should be interesting.  Of course while I was contemplating this, another member of our hauling crew tapped me on the shoulder looking to change professions.  Tin Reaper is apparently interested in getting some siege weaponry together to help defend the caves against large beasts. 

I had to point out that he had no experience in siege engineering at all.  He countered that nobody else in the fortress did either so why shouldn't he get the chance.  Fair enough I suppose.  I’ll see about getting some facilities set up soon.

Events of the 1st of Galena, 311

Derm the Soulchopper was waiting patiently out front by the time the Giant arrived.  As it rounded the corner, it bellowed, “Behold puny Dwarves, I Moguk Sculptedcomets the Absolute Power of Fliers have come to make this place my home and to avenge the deaths of my two wives.  Flee before my fury!” 

Derm sighed and responded, “You’ll have to get through me first fatso.  Your two wives didn’t do too well with that.  Leave now or face my blade.” 

Moguk roared with fury and charged straight at Derm.  Derm responded in kind.  They charged straight at each other.  Derm ducked under the giant’s grasping hand s and quickly swung his axe one, two three four times into the giant’s body.  His fourth swing connected solidly with the giant’s head with a loud cruch.

He swung again and again, never letting the giant regain its footing.  The giant tumbled over as Derm continued venting his frustration about not getting to fight the last two forgotten beasts.  Finally, he finished up by lopping the giant’s head off. 

Derm looked at the body of the giant and sighed.  What a disappointing encounter.  The giant didn’t even seem to be really trying all that hard, he just gave up after a few cuts.  Oh well, that still put a third giant notch in his axe.  But what to call it, what name to give his loyal axe?  The possibilities were endless but the choice still eluded him. 

Events of the 4th of Galena, 311

Catten Umbafol had been out observing Derm’s fight against the giant when she noticed the loose camels in the fortress area.  The wild animals in the area had often been trouble and these camels were no exception.  They had been quite aggressive with the mechanics coming to reload the cage traps. 

Besides, they could be added to the menu if the butchers got out here fast enough.

She quickly charged out and tore into the two camels.  They didn’t put up much of a fight and they certainly wouldn’t count as notable kills but it was a good test of her skill.  In fact, her sword went through the camels like butter. 

She felt far more confident about her skills as a soldier now.   

OOC: Derm does it again.  And Catten got her first trial thanks to an opportunity with a pair of camels in the wrong place at the right time.  I suspect Catten will be getting her first trial against goblins soon. 

@ushilzagith: Heh!  Nothing wrong with being a bit snarky or sarcastic.  I always take things on the light side in forums since there aren’t any visual cues to indicate sarcasm.  Well except for smilies of course.  I find it makes surfing the internet far more relaxing!

On the note of item preference, the naming doesn’t seem to be linked to metal preference.  None of the dwarves who have named items have a particular preference for either steel or axes.  I think it must just been related to how long they’ve used it.

@Scaraban: I checked, that particular dwarf is actually using both a named shield and a named axe.  That would have been pretty cool though.  Headshoots is a great read. 

@Tin Reaper: Welcome aboard, your dwarf is in the first entry above.  I’d forgotten about the catapult system for removing stone, good idea.  I’ll probably set up a training area quite close to the dining hall. 

@dragonshardz:  Your dwarf has been working very hard.  The entire floor of the dining hall is smoothed as well as the power plant, the start of several bedrooms plus the helix ramp entrance walls.  You’ve been putting together a lot of masterwork engravings in the spiral ramp case. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:37:42 am by Battlecat »

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »

Bit of an odd request today for you... do you know any way to control what dwarf does an engraving? I'm thinking something to do with setting a burrow with the only dwarf with permission to go there being the dwarf you want to do the work. But perhaps there is some other way.

In any event, I was thinking as Syntic should still be a jack of all trades considering crime is fairly low, that he should engrave the floor for his own room. Not the walls though as that would affect his neighbors too, and they might not enjoy his artwork as much as they would of someone with better engraving skills.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:59 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Galena, 311

The human caravan has once again been spotted coming over the hills towards our fortress.  I’ve dispatched the axedwarves as usual in case of an ambush. 

Cog’s Journal, 9th of Limestone, 311

It’s been a quite few weeks.  Trading with the humans was uneventful.  They brought lots of metal bars but no raw logs which was disappointing.  I’m still tired of this business of them sending a useless diplomat with no authority to execute trade agreements.  Zastit had to conduct the meeting in the dining hall because his office wasn’t ready yet.  He found it a bit embarrassing but the diplomat certainly seemed suitable awed. 

The prototype water reactor is completed and charged up with water.  Several dwarves worked quite hard to pump enough water up to fill the system.  I’m just waiting for the safety grate to be installed before firing it up for a test run.  I really hope this works!

Events of the 15th of Limestone, 311

Nobody in Towersoared was particularly enthusiastic about being the guinea pig to fire up the first water reactor.  The dangers of working around water were well known and nobody really wanted their name associated with a failed test.  In the end it was Bomrek Mishakuris, a Tanner turned hauler who drew the short stick.  And so he headed reluctantly down to the reactor room. 

The green glass monstrosity with a pair of waterwheels tacked onto it was lurking in the depths, waiting.  He gave each waterwheel a push, they moved sluggishly due to the stagnant water below.   He took a deep breath, grabbed the pumping handle and started turning it.  Slowly at first but then faster as the pump gained momentum, water began spilling out the back and flowing over the edges. 

For a few moments it looked like the system had failed.  But then suddenly the machine began to tug on his arms.  The waterwheels began to spin as the water below began to flow.  With a surprisingly pleasant hum, the reactor began to operate.  Even more surprisingly, he heard the sounds of the gears overhead beginning to turn. 

Bomrek examined the system.  From the looks of things, the entire mini pump stack that provided water to the reactor was running with power to spare.  Cog was going to be thrilled.  Come to thing of it, so was he.  This was pretty incredible; the water reactor design was an absolute success. 

Cog’s Journal, 26th of Sandstone, 311

Construction of the pump stack and expanded power plant is proceeding quickly now.  Half the stack to the level of the dining hall is finished and another power generator is almost ready to fire up.  I won’t even have to get a dwarf to prime this one.  Since the system is already powered up, engaging the gear will prime the reactor instantly. 

Cog’s Journal, 11th of Timber, 311

Another steel battleaxe was named today, this time by Erith Sigunesmul.  His battle axe is now known as Uz Nalish, The Growls of Forever.  Certainly an interesting choice of names.  That’s 3 of the 5 battleaxes named now. 

OOC: Power plant online!  I'm thrilled to see that it works.  I know it’s a well known technology, but the concept of a perpetual motion machine still breaks my brain! 

@Syntic: Shouldn’t be a problem at all.  Crime is indeed extremely low so you’ve been busily helping with everything from pump design and installation to smelting ore.  You certainly seem to prefer engraving though, you’re up to Talented. 

Burrows are actually inclusive not exclusionary.  As far as I can tell, the burrows only say “This is where you are allowed to work.”  It doesn’t say that other can’t enter.  However, it should be pretty easy to set up.  If you’re in a hurry, I can set up a personal burrow for Syntic that makes him engrave his room in a big hurry.  If you’re in less of a hurry, I’ll set up a burrow that keeps all the other engravers out of your room.  Then you’ll just engrave your room when you feel inclined. 

Let me know which you prefer!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:38:58 am by Battlecat »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 118