Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289207 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #510 on: February 24, 2011, 01:43:45 pm »

Not entirely alive yet but not dead by any stretch of the imagination.

This is really hard for me to write simply due to the length of time since my last post.  I owe you all a very sincere and embarrassed apology for failing to post for so long.  Without getting into too many details, suffice to say that a combination of Real Life, computer woes and general depression ate any ability I might have had to play the game.  But I don't have any good reason for not at least letting you all know that life was getting in the way.  For worrying you and for my silence, I sincerely apologize.  I won't let it happen again.

Life still doesn't afford me much time, but my new computer may improve things once I get Dwarf Fortress copied over from my old system.

Rest assured Towersoared is safe, sound and backed up ready for when I have some spare time to invest in it.  I'm hopeful that will occur within the next few weeks.  In the meantime, I'll be going through the thread over the next several weeks to make a note of any dorfings, requests and suggestions I may have lost track of. 

Once again, I'm sorry for taking so long to communicate, I'll try to make it up to you all soon.

Sincerely,

Battlecat

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 24, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »

It's not dead! sound the bells the day of rejoicing has come!

DERM HAS RETURNED! In a few weeks or so BUT STILL!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 24, 2011, 04:46:05 pm »

It's not dead! sound the bells the day of rejoicing has come!

DERM HAS RETURNED! In a few weeks or so BUT STILL!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 24, 2011, 05:03:48 pm »

YES.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 24, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »

So I can exit panic mode now?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 25, 2011, 02:40:45 pm »

seems like it.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 26, 2011, 02:29:43 pm »

Yay for the Battlecat!
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2011, 01:29:04 pm »

OOC: Ok, before I get started, first thing on the agenda is a bit of long overdue housekeeping. 

First off, we have some dorf requests laying in wait.  I’ll make this short and add some additional notes in Cog’s Journal. 

@Bennet, Abyss, Holder of Light: I contacted each of you prior to this update to confirm you dwarf choices since it’s been such a long time.  The details about your chosen characters are in the journal posting below. 

@Everyone: I’ve searched through the entire thread three times and I can’t find this.  Someone, someday in the past requested a dwarf from the next migration wave.  That request came in well after I’d ensured there would be no more migrants for some time.  I made a note of the request which has since vanished into the Ether.  Assuming the game runs well, I’ll be raising the cap so I get one more wave in the near future so if you know which page the request was on please let me know. 

Next up, for your information I’ll be upgrading to V18 assuming nothing goes horribly wrong.  V19 looks like a pretty big quantum leap and I’d like to get re-acquainted with the game before diving in to a multitude of new features.  I’ve got the game backed up in case something goes wrong but I’m pretty sure everything will be fine.  Now then, on with the return. 

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Hematite, 314

It’s an odd tradition, but many dwarves seem to like reinventing themselves by choosing new names.  Such is the case with Shorast the Unlucky, wounded many times in battle yet surviving injuries that would have killed a weaker dwarf such as myself.  Shorast is no more; instead we have Bennet the Hammerdwarf.  I wish him great luck with his new lease on life.

Spoiler: Bennet the Hammerdwarf (click to show/hide)

Additionally, one of the newest glassmakers has concluded that a new name would be appropriate to stand out in the fortress.  Abyss is an interesting choice considering what lies below.
Spoiler: Abyss the Glassmaker (click to show/hide)

Today marks an exciting day.  Under the watchful eye of our soldiers, the miners will be further securing the outer edge of our territory so we can expand our project further.  A trench which will be a future moat is going to be carved into the hillside.  It's a dangerous task, but I hope it will go smoothly.  It'll probably be done sometime next year since I'm not allowing the miners to work outside during late fall and winter this year. 

Events of the 15th of Malachite, 314

Stukos Avuztath the miner wiped his brow as he walked up into the highlands above Towersoared.  He gazed down at the glass dome in the valley below, taking in the view that few in the fortress had enjoyed.  His work would ensure that other could safely do the same without the watchful eye of Derm and his soldiers. 

He walked over to the edge of the magma vent that lead to the depths of the earth.  His orders today were to start clearing the next phase of the defensive trench that would provide rudimentary protection to the fort and highland.  Kib Ogfath had arrived and was already digging.  He started swinging his pick at the stone at the edge of the magma vent when suddenly he felt the ground under him start to move.

He dove back from the edge of the vent as the thin rim of rock around the edge gave way, threatening to dump him into the fiery depths.  As the dust settled, he looked around.  To his horror, he realized that Kib was nowhere to be seen.  He ran to the edge of the magma vent, but he had already accepted the worst.  Indeed, Kib was gone, lost in the fires below.

He sighed and shouldered his pick.  Of all the workers in Towersoared, more miners had died than any other discipline.  Even when compared with the military which was a truly amazing thing.  He carefully checked the edge of the vent for other weak spots and returned to his work.  What else could he do? 

OOC: Not a perfect start but I think I’ve managed to pick up where I left off.  It still hasn’t been terribly exciting of late but I think things will start getting more interesting soon! 

@dermonster:  Or possibly even sooner.  :)  Soulchopping should commence soon now that I have a version with sieges fixed. 

@Scaraban: :)

@Urist Imiknorris: Yes indeed!

@Syntic, and Ahra: Yes I believe that would be reasonable. 

@Abyss, Holder of Light: Glad to be back.  Your claimed dwarf is above.  He's sitting around Adept level and is the lowest skill glassmaker. 

One last thing to wrap up the day.  I intend to try to update once per week at the absolute minimum.  If something comes up that will take longer, I’ll let you know and I fully expect to be able to update more regularly that that.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:14:52 pm by Battlecat »

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2011, 03:14:32 pm »

Spoiler: Abyss the Glassmaker (click to show/hide)

...Wow, he resembles me IRL!

Diary Thoughts of Abyss, 15th of Malachite, 314
Well, there I was, just drinking my grog, marveling the Great Dining Room in all of it's glory then something outside had crashed. Seems that the miners have done a miscalculation on their moat project.

-A few minutes later-

Also, it seems that someone has fallen down the mouth of the volcano. Kib, Kib Ogfath, was it? A painful loss. A very painful loss. *drinks long* Well, can't dwell on the dead, back to work.
-piece of rope reed parchment falls down-
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:18:32 pm by Abyss, Holder of Light »
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 28, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »

Woot! Upgrading to V18 is good news! Very good news indeed.

I haven't played V19 much, or at all really, so I will enjoy seeing what you make of it :)
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21:42 am »

:o Great, loved reading up on this fort when I first discovered Dwarf Fortress. Been wanting to be dorfed for some time, between the story and the Legend that is Derm you guys have inspired me. If you have no migrants coming for some time then I would humbly ask for a non-named dwarf.

Sex:Male preferably
Name: Rashem
Job: Sword-dwarf/hauling when not on duty

Personality: Quite doesn't talk much to anyone, few friends if any. Grew up in the stuffy Mountain Homes and came to Towersoared first chance he got. Always wanted to learn the sword. Obeys most commands without question, lest he thinks he sees a better/safer way.
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 01, 2011, 06:47:36 pm »

Great writing enjoying this alot.

Name: Flint
Job: Miner

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 01, 2011, 09:36:28 pm »

Cog's Journal, 16th of Malachite, 314

I held a small moment of silence in memory of Kib Ogfath today the miner who tragically died by falling into the magma vent during an accident.  We will remember him well, as we do all the fallen dwarves in this fortress. 

The defensive trench is coming along nicely.  I don't think we'll finish it this season, but it should be complete in the New Year, leaving us free to pursue surface projects in relative safety. 

On another note, we have a new named item in the fortress.  Fikod Dodokalath the Axedwarf has bestowed the name Id Bithit, The Rocks of Shearing on her steel shield. 

It has been in her hands for so many years now, I can't say I blame her. 

Cog's Journal, 17th of Galena, 314

Excellent, the human caravan has arrived!  And they’ve got a vast quantity of trade goods this year.  We'll have to be picky about what materials we buy, we're oversupplied on just about everything these days.  I think we’ll give them as many crafts as they can carry regardless of how much we buy.  It would be nice to reduce our stock a bit.  I'll be dispatching Derm and his soldiers out just in case they have any entertainment stalking them. 

Also, the second phase of the defensive trench is completed.  The north approach to our fortress is now blocked.  Only the west side needs to be secured and we will be safer than ever!  Except for the risk of creatures from the sky of course.  Fall is fast approaching though. I’ll be switching the miners to indoor work in a just a few short weeks to prevent any injuries due to frostbite. 

Cog's Journal, 18th of Galena, 314

Figures . . .

I don't think I've ever regretted sending the soldiers to the surface "Just in case". 

At least Derm will be enjoying himself.  I hope any miners working outside can get inside before the goblins catch them. 

OOC: Up next, the siege.  It's just going to take me a bit of time to sort though the awesome and write it up. 

@Abyss: Interesting coincidence.  :-)

@dermonster:  I'm going to hold off on V19+ for a while while the bugs get fixed.  From the list being posted there are still a lot!  But V18 seems to be a good spot to hold for a bit.

@Rashemd: Thanks very much, glad you've enjoyed it.  I still haven't decided on migrants due to the fps but a sworddwarf isn't a problem.  Sadly, I've already gone through the siege so sadly your dwarf won't have a combat log.  I'll have your dwarf picked out and noted at the end of the next update and I'm expecting a lot more military action in the coming years. 

Actually, there's a pretty good reason based on what I'm seeing in the combat logs.  You'll all see why next time! 

@Flintus10: Thank!  As with Rashemd, I'll have your dwarf picked out and listed with a bio for the next update which should be tomorrow sometime.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:18:52 pm by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 01, 2011, 09:39:38 pm »

Hoo yeah more goblines to the soulchopper. Maybe this time I shall find where the metaphysical representation of ones pure spiritual being is so I can chop it into teeny little bits and eat it over some ale.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 01, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »

More goblins come to be murDermed, as it should always be.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 118