Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289205 times)

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #525 on: March 02, 2011, 10:45:51 am »

YAY!!!  It's back!!!!!

@Everyone: I’ve searched through the entire thread three times and I can’t find this.  Someone, someday in the past requested a dwarf from the next migration wave.  That request came in well after I’d ensured there would be no more migrants for some time.  I made a note of the request which has since vanished into the Ether.  Assuming the game runs well, I’ll be raising the cap so I get one more wave in the near future so if you know which page the request was on please let me know. 

I think that was me.  If you happen to get another wave of migrants, I'll take a dwarf, any dwarf.  Doesn't much matter who.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 02, 2011, 02:38:12 pm »

OOC:  WARNING!  This post is very long and has lots of images. 

There are a lot of named military dwarves now:

Derm the Soulchopper
Catten the Boneminer
Adker the Marksdwarf
Lars the Sworddwarf
Rifotangrir the Hammerdwarf
Bennet the Hammerdwarf (formerly Shorast the Unlucky)

That's all for the setup, here we go . . .

Events of the 20th of Galena, 314

The first siege in 2 years had Derm the Soulchopper excited.  The last one had occurred in 312, a seeming eternity ago.  But now, thanks to him being out to watch over the arriving Human caravan standing among the remains of previous sieges, he had a chance to exercise his skills once again.  He raised Akmeshitat and sounded the alarm.  Then he turned to his squad: “You stay here and cover the last of this caravan.  I need to go check what’s going on in the hills.  There aren’t nearly enough goblins down here in the lowlands; I think they’re trying to flank us.”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bennet and Rifotangrir were up on the hills watching over the excavation site.  They were mostly bored since the miners had all gone back down to the fortress to help haul items to the depot.  But then they saw the goblins coming over the hills.  At first the thought was they could reposition to intercept the goblins as they came around the trench.  Then suddenly they noticed a small problem. 

There were still a couple ramps that hadn’t been removed during construction.  Somehow they had been missed until now.  The goblins would slip past them if they didn’t hurry.  Rifotangrir called the charge.  Bennet was quietly hopeful that he could get through this battle without injury.  Then they saw Derm charging up the hill towards the first goblin squad.  A squad of goblin archers was following close behind.  Bennet went charging off into battle, somehow missing the comment from Rifotangrir swinging around the outside edge of the fortress to catch a different squad on the valley bottom . . .   

Derm: Derm charged in to the squad up on the hillside.  He had been correct when he overheard the miners saying a few ramps still needed to be removed.  Ordinarily he would have left things to the hammerdwarves but they were stationed quite far out and with civilians at risk he didn't want to take any chances. 

He tore the eye right out of a goblin with his first swing and then a goblin took a kick at Derm's mouth.  Derm responded by biting the goblin on the foot, and then with a sharp jerk of his head he pulled the goblin over.  The goblin screamed in pain as Derm nearly yanked the goblins leg right off with the force of the swing.  The goblins leg went limp and it collapsed to the ground.  Derm finished it off with a couple of swings of Akmeshitat and turned to the remaining goblins.

The next goblin chose to charge at Derm swinging it’s hammer madly.  Derm simply stood his ground and watched in amusement as the goblin collided with him and fell to the ground.  He taunted the goblin by simply poking it with the pommel of Akmeshitat an act which drove the goblin into a rage.  Derm responded by knocking a few teeth out of his mouth with Akmeshitat before chopping the goblin to pieces.  Several more goblins fell to the swing of his axe. 

The next several minutes could be simply described as a spray of blood and body parts as Derm proceeded to dismantle the first squad.  Several more goblins attempted charging Derm as he fought but Derm simply stood his ground and laughed as the goblins bounced off him.  Derm had diversified his skills over the past two years.  In addition to severing limbs with Akmeshitat, he bashed the goblins on the head with the pommel of Akmeshitat, he shattered arms with his feet and damaged eyes with his fists. 

He even shattered the arm of one goblin with the flat side of Akmeshitat, just because he could.   

Then he noticed Bennet in combat nearby and he started fighting his way over to them. 

Bennet: Bennet charged into battle and quickly found himself surrounded by 4 goblins.  He started to swing with his hammer, blocking shots with his shield.  But for one horrible moment it appeared his luck was still betraying him.  Bennet tripped and found himself on his back with goblins pummeling him from every side.  He fought to his feet and swung out with his shield intending to block, but instead he struck the goblin solidly in the chest causing a rib to break.  As he considered this, he was knocked down once again. 

Then, it came to him.  Bennet rose to his feet once more, ignoring the blows of his enemies.  And he began swinging his shield as his primary weapon while blocking with his hammer.  He fell into a martial trance and swung his shield as hard as he could; shattering the defenses of his opponent.  Finally, the goblin fell unconscious as a blow from Bennet's his shield crushed its skull. 

Now he felt truly like he could be called a Hammerlord even if he was fighting with his shield.  He held his ground against one charging goblin and while it stunned him for a moment, he still managed to take down his enemy easily.  Finally it seemed like he had found his style for combat. 

He managed to take down two more opponents before Derm carved through the enemies to reach him.  Derm then ordered Bennet down to the front gate saying, “These archers are MINE.”  Bennet accepted those orders and made his way down to rejoin his squad, pleased that his curse seemed to be lifted. 

Derm: Derm charged the archers with great ferocity.  His first target was the Axelord.  He dodged through a wall of arrows and quickly tore into the goblin.  The air was filling with arrows, but Derm managed to dodge or block every single one.  In the process he had to slam into the nearby stone wall.  As he recovered, through the air thick with arrows came a charging axelord.  The impact knocked Derm right off his feet.  As Derm stood up, the axelord tried to take a chunk out of Derm, but Derm Deftly dodged backwards and took of the Axelord’s hand.  As the axelord looked at his hand in surpise, Derm charged and returned the favor, knocking the axelord down before taking his head. 

The rest of the archers increased their rate of fire, but none of them came even close to hurting him.  He continued the fight and managed to behead one more archer.  But then he sensed a presence at his back.  He turned just in time to see several trolls emerging from the moat to charge him.  The arrows continued to fly around him as he braced himself for the impact. 

The troll colloided solidly sending Derm flying.  He tumbled backwards with a shout of defiance at the troll . . .

Catten, Adker and Lars: The sworddwarf and marksdwarf squads had been off duty in the dining hall when the shouts about a siege were heard.  They quickly gathered their gear and ran for the surface.  When they got there, there were just a few goblins left at the front gate.  They got a few swings in but they were too late for the main battle. 

Then they saw Bennet coming towards them from the hills, completely unhurt.  'Derm's taking care of a few up in the mountains, he told me to come down and check on things here.” he said.  They listened and hear the sounds of pitched battle up in the hills and screams of terror and fury.

“Maybe we had better go check up on him . . .” 

Derm: Derm was enjoying himself:

Derm was just wiping off his brow when the military got to the top of the hill.  He looked over at them.  “Any injuries?” he asked with a satisfied smile. 

Cog's Journal, 21st of Galena, 314

Well here is the aftermath of our latest siege: 

Derm the Soulchopper: 21 goblins, 4 Trolls
Catten the Boneminer: No new kills
Adker the Marksdwarf: No new kills
Lars the Sworddwarf: 1 Goblin
Rifotangrir the Hammerdwarf: 3 Goblins
Bennet the Hammerdwarf: 3Goblins

And no injuries!

As for the human merchants, they brought lots of materials but not a lot that we could actually use.  We bought food and metal from them and then gave them several crates of fine stone crafts as a thank you for the reliable trading they've given us all this time.  Even if they still haven't sent a trading representative. 
On another note, I've ordered the construction of a rock crusher at the bottom of the grand spiral stairway.  We need to get rid of some of these rocks and that's a fairly central location to dump them. 

Cog's Journal, 22nd of Galena, 314

Apparently two more dwarves have been inspired to adopt new names as a result of Bennet's success in the latest battle.  Considering his unprecedented lack of injuries, I can't say I blame them. 

First one of our Sworddwarves decided to try and stand out better.  There are only three sword dwarves in Catten's squad who haven't adopted new names (included Catten herself, although she does go by Boneminer now).  I suppose they're trying to find themselves among Derms unbelievable fighting prowess.  I have altered his file to his new name, Rashem the Sworddwarf.

Spoiler: Rashem the Sworddwarf (click to show/hide)

Thent we have one of our miners.  I suspect this dwarf was also moved by the death of Kib.  Adopting a human style name will certainly make him stand out a bit more in the history books.  I have altered his file to read Flint the Miner. 

Spoiler: Flint the Miner (click to show/hide)

It's always nice to see dwarves trying to stand out a bit more.  We seem to get that a lot around here.

OOC: Whew, that was a long one to write up.  I really wanted to get more of the military dwarves involved in this but by the time I realized how many of the goblins were up on the hill, Derm had it all sewn up solo.  He went in a completely different direction than I ordered him, probably due to the trench digging.  Did the combat system get tweaked recently?  This is much more creative and diverse combat than I remember from the past. 

On a separate note, I'm planning on going through the list of named dwarves soon to give you all a feel for how things are going.  That will include a post showing your bio and skills if necessary.  I'll post a few each update starting soon. 

@dermonster: No such luck with finding any goblin spirits.  I hope tearing off a couple of limbs with your teeth will make up for it.  :D  I suppose you'll have a bit leftover for with your ale as a result.

@Urist Imiknorris: Heh, murDermed.  I approve!

@Crifmer: Ahah!  Now I’ve tracked down your original post as well and it was you indeed.  Thanks for posting again, glad to hear you’re still interested.  I need another migration soon so you'll be dorfed pretty quick now. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:17:32 pm by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:53 pm »

Oh my god.

Words fail me.

THREE CHEERS FOR DERM

HIP HIP!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:46 pm »

Oh my god.

Words fail me.

THREE CHEERS FOR DERM

HIP HIP!
!!HUZZAH!!
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 02, 2011, 03:46:51 pm »

HIP HIP!
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 02, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »

HUZZAH!

Did the combat system get tweaked recently?  This is much more creative and diverse combat than I remember from the past.
The combat system was revised for 31.17.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 02, 2011, 04:52:41 pm »

HIP HIP!

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:14 pm »

HUZZAH !

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 02, 2011, 05:16:16 pm »

And thus is the Cheer complete.

Come my friends! Lift a glass of ale to Derm, Most badass Dwarf Of DF2010!

*Chug Chug Chug*

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 03, 2011, 05:39:34 am »

And thus is the Cheer complete.

Come my friends! Lift a glass of ale to Derm, Most badass Dwarf Of DF2010!

*Chug Chug Chug*

*drinks a barrel of sewer brew*

MORE CHEERS FOR THE SOULCHOPPER!
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 03, 2011, 11:39:45 am »

Cog's Journal, 6th of Limestone, 314

Mebzuth one of our Armorsmiths began babbling insanely today and charged off towards the workshops.  I'm hopeful that this will be an artifact and not another death due to lack of materials.

Cog's Journal, 9th of Limestone, 314

Well that was fast.  Granted it helps that all the material he wanted was down in the industrial quarter rather than up in Old Towersoared.  It’s not a terribly exciting creation but at it is still impressive! 

I wonder if anyone from the military would like it or if we should just put it in the museum. 

Events of the 13th of Limestone, 314

Erush Shorastothos the Gem Cutter was heading down to the depths of the world.  The surprisingly peaceful deep caves.  A lazy miner had excavated some chrysoberyl and the lazy haulers had yet to bring it up to the surface.  He was just about to enter the caves when he heard it.  A loud hissing sound, like water being poured onto magma. 

He looked out over the underground sea and then he spotted it.  The surface of the water was roiling and boiling with the heat of some unseen force.  He turned and began the long run back up to the fortress screaming. “Odna has come, the forgotten beast Odna is here!”

Cog's Journal, 13th of Limestone, 314

How dangerous is a beast made of fire?  Can Derm take it?  He's heading for the depths alone as usual.  I fear for him this time. 
T
[OOC:  Decision Time!  Does Derm take on the beast of fire at risk of injury or death?  Or does he pull back and let the archers do their work?  I'll take all opinions into consideration but dermonster gets the final say.  What would Derm do?  Personally I think his odds are fairly good but I think choices are always nice to have on occasion. 

@Dermonster: Derm is still the single most dangerous dwarf I've ever had in a fortress. 

@Urist Imiknorris:  That would explain the changes.  I approve! 

@Abyss, Holder of Light: I believe that might be arranged depending on dermonsters feelings about this battle. 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 03, 2011, 12:19:36 pm »

Derm fears no human, no goblin! Nothing will stop me! Not weapons! Not Armor! And certainly not some pansy ass fire elemental!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:12:38 pm by dermonster »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 03, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »

How is my guy doing? Still being a loner I hope?

Also, GO FOR IT DERM!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 03, 2011, 02:13:17 pm »

I wonder what would happen if you trapped this monster in a room that could be filled with water at will. I mean as long as you didn't drown it, you would have an unlimited supply of steam. You could then devise some sort of steam vent system to give the the fortress a steam sauna. I mean that would be some serious bragging rights there, having a sauna heated by a forgotten beast.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 03, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »

I wonder what would happen if you trapped this monster in a room that could be filled with water at will. I mean as long as you didn't drown it, you would have an unlimited supply of steam. You could then devise some sort of steam vent system to give the the fortress a steam sauna. I mean that would be some serious bragging rights there, having a sauna heated by a forgotten beast.
If Derm is fine with it, LET IT BE DONE!
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 118