Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1597305 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4470 on: April 14, 2011, 05:39:22 pm »

Well we are here on something i think. Many citys has its own creatures - good and evil. New York has its crocodiles (and daleks), Prague has skeletons walking certain streets not to mention the Golem, my hometown has (among others) a demonic Monk, a headless Gravedigger, and a restless smith. It doesnt has to be megabeasts but some trolls and asorted creatures and beings might be neat. It would be neat thought if some were still made up hehe.

edit: And dont forget Ankou on every graveyard.

A titan that has a religious following living in a city, or better yet, a temple built to that titan?  Good idea for some city flavor.

People building their city on top of a titan's front doorstep, so that the instant a player starts a game in a random city, he's in the middle of a titan's rampage?  Obvious bug.

Actually, I read a story that was kind of like that, though. The story starts with the town under attack by a monster that had been living under the town for centuries.  So it could definitely make an interesting start to an adventure.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: April 14, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »

Huh. Usually when Toady updates the devlog the posting rate in this thread accelerates for the next day or so.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:18 pm »

he didn't post pictures.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37:12 pm »

Storm drains are interresting nut i am not sure if the concept is that old. But its a good start for sewers and honestly guys storm drains think about it! This means there will be floods of onbe or another kind! Floods are back!

edit: Japa each new avatar of yours is creeper then the last.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:44:30 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: April 14, 2011, 09:41:17 pm »

Just because the storm drains exist doesn't necessarily mean they will have an actual function yet.  But it is something to look forward to.

I miss losing 3 or 4 dwarves a year to the cave river flooding.

P.S.  It doesn't sound out of time to me, didn't the Romans have storm drains after all?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:43:30 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: April 14, 2011, 09:55:11 pm »

Well, a little google-fu reveals this:  http://en.allexperts.com/q/General-History-674/Sewers.htm

First, the Romans did not invent sewers.  Many ancient civilizations, including the Babylonians had them.  There have even been some evidence of small sewer systems in Scotland dating back to 3000 BC. 

The Roman system was not always underground.  The first sewers were simply open trenches that led to the Tiber River.  It was not until around 300 BC that the first underground sewers were built.  The main purpose at that time was to carry away runoff rain water from storms.  Romans still through their waste into the streets.  However, regular street cleanings washed the waste down into the sewers and kept things relatively clean.

After the Empire collapsed, the sewers, which were basically just rock enclosed river beds, continued to be used for centuries.  It was not until the 1840's that they began to get updated in any serious way.  However, most of the ancient system remained in continuous use.

Many of the larger medieval cities of Europe had some sort of sewage system.  Even though they did not understand the health issues, the smell of human sewage was enough to encourage such systems wherever large numbers of people lived together.  Paris, for example, had a sewage system by the 1200's and built its first underground system in the 1370's.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: April 14, 2011, 11:06:13 pm »

Although I can't be bothered to look up my references (I have them somewhere) I once ran a brief DnD game set in Ancient Greece where this came up- from what I recall just about all cities had, at the very least, some kind of storm drain to handle rain runoff- if you drop stone and paving blocks all over and then don't put in a drain, you end up with flooded basements. That said, for the most part they were small, cramped filthy things you could barely wriggle through, much less adventure through. But I don't need to harp on about Absurdly Spacious Sewers, I think- not to a crowd of gamers.

That said, re-purposed catacombs would be cool, and hopefully DF will one day model those, and it would be sweet if you could crawl through the filth and grime to sneak in/out of places even if it is nowhere you'd want to fight.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: April 15, 2011, 12:16:49 am »

I guess the trenches, channels and tunnels will made in a way that it makes atleast some sense. But we will see hehe maybe these things connect to the caverns too.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: April 15, 2011, 04:34:29 am »

Not sure if toady reads these things, but it sure seems like he did infact read some suggestions in response to his cities (the sewers) and so i'd like to say how kick ass you are toady! Can't wait to see where you go with this feature. I look forward to this release!
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: April 15, 2011, 06:51:49 am »

Just keeps getting better and better :)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: April 15, 2011, 07:02:43 am »

storm sewers would make it harder for a player to close up the city wall and flood a city, but i suppose we could just wall up the outflow.

I do hope we get seasonal flooding in DF at some point
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: April 15, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »

storm sewers would make it harder for a player to close up the city wall and flood a city, but i suppose we could just wall up the outflow.

We have magma, that will probably do it.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: April 15, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »

-House In River
Does it count as a prediction if it already happens?

Yes, I didn't report this on the bug tracker, since I figured that the current rewrites would likely obsolete the report. This is actually one "arm" of a river spring that this house was built in.

Z and X will be occasionally swapped, causing horizontal cities

Castlevania 2? Will we need to get silk bags from the graveyard duck?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: April 15, 2011, 01:53:07 pm »

Only those truely worthy can live there

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: April 15, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »

We have sewers!

Fortunately storm sewers.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 342