Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UK Emergency Budget = A Mess  (Read 1342 times)

Pathos

UK Emergency Budget = A Mess
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:27:01 am »

Source
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: In Short (click to show/hide)

Well, for everyone who isn't ridiculously rich, we're fucked. Lib Dems have sold out to get their proportional representation (LOL YEAH RIGHT AS IF THAT'S GONNA HAPPEN), and this has just hamstringed all benefits. Nevermind the massive unemployment from public sector cuts, lack of proportional taxation (this is taxation across the board? Good fucking job) etc etc.

Fucking ridiculous.

To everyone who voted Tory: You're an idiot.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: UK Emergency Budget = A Mess
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:38:30 am »

Why dont they just stop paying people for living in caravans and being a lesbian?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:41:17 am »

My reactions so far -

*Sees thread* UK Budget problems eh?  Maybe I'll get around to reading this later...
Why dont they just stop paying people for living in caravans and being a lesbian?
Okay, now I'm interested.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:11 am »

My reactions so far -

*Sees thread* UK Budget problems eh?  Maybe I'll get around to reading this later...
Okay, now I'm interested.

Note: My only knowledge on this matter is that my friends mom said if she ever lost her job (as a joke) she would cut off her leg, have another child, move in with the pikeys, become a butch lesbian and turn into a paki. (Not I am quoting her, I am sorry if her language offended anyone) So she could just reap the benefits, could someone who hasnt lived in England for more than half a year please explain it more?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:58:06 am »

I can tell you without the slightest shadow of a doubt that she is, y'know, joking.

Pathos

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:00:03 pm »

I can tell you without the slightest shadow of a doubt that she is, y'know, joking.

I don't know. Minorities DO have a higher chance of getting a job, if they're qualified, simply due to the lack of them and the possibility that the company could get sued if it seems they don't hire them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:01:31 pm »

Sued by who?

Pathos

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »

Sued by who?

By the people who get rejected for jobs and can claim it's due to racial prejudice.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:15:28 pm »

It is a horribly regressive set of moves being called progressive by, frankly, liars.

There are two progressive elements;

- Capital gains tax increase for those in the highest tax band.
- Income tax personal allowance increase by £1000, worth £170 per year in taxes saved.

The first is actually a sensible revenue stream. Thing is, the Lib Dems had pushed for a higher rate than this. Compare the new 28% to the top band income tax of 50% on earnings over $150,000. [EDIT: The increase will apply to those on the higher rate of 40%, incomes over £37,401. I don't disagree with this part, but it's that the increased capital gains are still only taxed at <2/3 of income that doesn't make sense.] Add in the £10,100 exemption before the capital gains kick in and the tax here is pretty soft for individuals who see most of their income through capital gains. So while this is largely progressive, it's still fairly minimal and I don't see it offsetting the other changes.

The personal income tax allowance is also nice, and if their 880,000 figure is true (the number of people who will stop having to pay tax) then a solid progressive step. However, it leaves a few holes.

1) This is a personal allowance. Single income households will be hurt in comparison with those on two incomes.
2) Income tax already only covers 62% of the population. The rest won't benefit at all from this, being on the lowest incomes and being hit hardest by the decreased benefits and increased VAT.

That VAT increase really hurts when combined with that above fact. VAT is hugely regressive. The takeaway numbers for VAT;
The richest 10% pay one in every 25 pounds of their income in VAT; the poorest 10% pay one in every seven pounds as VAT
And that is before the increase, which will only push the numbers up. Those who are hurt most are those who gain least (if anything) from the income tax allowance.

And again, the income tax allowance is a watered down version of a Lib Dem goal to push the allowance to £10,000.

The benefits cuts are even worse than they look at first glance, and there are only a couple of other silver linings out there, which aren't exactly applicable across the board. Going to have to try to dig out some more analysis.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:04:37 pm by palsch »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 12:19:45 pm »

By the people who get rejected for jobs and can claim it's due to racial prejudice.
Mind quoting a source of someone suing a company simply for being rejected, without evidence of actual racism being demonstrated?

The main thing about the budget seems to be that it's comically short sighted.  Its only aim is to reduce expenditure this year... and nothing else, apparently.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »

There's also this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/22/uk-tax-relief-for-game-developers-scrapped/
Hardly a surprise. It's a Tory government and last time I looked a lot of game companies had moved to Scotland. Since when have the Tories cared about them?

[/halfjoking]

Pathos

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »

Mind quoting a source of someone suing a company simply for being rejected, without evidence of actual racism being demonstrated?

I'm not against it, trust me, but it doesn't stop it being there. It annoys me that it's still there, but saddens me that without it we'd probably have a lot of racial minorities being unemployed.

I can't find any sources, but I remember a semi-famous one of a trucking company rejecting one of their loaders for the job of truck driver. He accused them of racial prejudice, the government checked what ethnicity the truckers were and it turned out they were around 95% white. Naturally, he won the case and about £40,000.

The main thing about the budget seems to be that it's comically short sighted.  Its only aim is to reduce expenditure this year... and nothing else, apparently.

Pretty much. Tories are just sloppy sloppy choppy choppy.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »

THERE WILL BE VAT ON BOOKS.
I MUST HAVE HIS BLOOOOOOOOOD.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 12:53:07 pm »

THERE WILL BE VAT ON BOOKS.
I MUST HAVE HIS BLOOOOOOOOOD.
Nope.
Pages: [1] 2