Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Arizona Bill Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children  (Read 11202 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Bill Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »

Fenrif, I know what I _see_.  you show me a source like that and I have to ask where they're getting the raw data from.  being a computer repair tech has taught me not to trust anyone else's estimation of a problem if I'm going to be putting effort into fixing it.  I've seen enough 'studies' and 'surveys' where the numbers were manipulated or massaged to take them with a grain of salt, especially when it doesn't match the reality I see around me every day.  If you wish to believe me ignorant because I'm unwilling to blindly accept a potentially biased study when I have eyes to see and ears to hear, then by all means, do so.

Redking, I'm afraid you misunderstand.  I'm not taking the moral high ground, I'm saying that by fixing this problem we make ourselves better as a people and a nation, not by allowing it to continue.

You asked where I got the info from in a way that lead me to believe you hadn't even read the post it was in, let alone clicked the link and read the source yourself. But whatever, if you want to pretend you'd read it before hand feel free. I don't believe you ignorant because you don't accept the data, I believe you ignorant because you blatantly just commented on the last page of the discussion without reading through the other 10 pages. BTW the source I'm referring too is from a paper in the peer reviewed Tax Lawyer journal from the American Bar Association. But whatever, I mean, you haven't personally encountered this, and if a computer repair man doesn't know something about immigration, I don't know who will!

Being a computer repair tech should've taught you that you can't fix complicated socio-political issues like immigration. It also should've taught you not to put effort into something that you can't in any real way interact with. But again; if you want to pretend you can fix immigration then feel free.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »

Being a scientist has taught me that regardless of whether the paper is peer reviewed or not, if it doesn't make sense, you should check their methods to see if they screwed anything up.  Intentionally or by accident.  Because there have been a lot of scientific papers published that are either complete fabrications or subtle misinterpretation of the facts.

And since the link you provided is only to the abstract, its awfully hard to check out their methods. 

However a few things mentioned in the abstract are not entirely true. 

"undocumented immigrants are barred from almost all government benefits"

This is how the law is written, but in many areas you do not need to prove your status in order to collect these benefits.  In many "sanctuary" cities and states, the local government has even prohibitted local officials from enforcing federal regulations.

Here is an example from New Mexico.

The state gives out full ride scholarships to in-state high school graduates.  Guess who is elegible?  Thats right.  Illegal immigrants.

Additionally the article fails to mention the many other societal benefits that the immigrants recieve, but are paid for by taxes.  Good roads, infrastructure, safer communities than where they came, etc.

"Undocumented immigrants, like all U.S. citizens and residents, are required to pay taxes"

Some taxes, yes.  Others, no.  Many illegal immigrants work for cash.  This is becoming even more prevalent due to laws requiring employers to check for legal residency/citizenship.  Therefore they avoid many taxes associated with payroll.  The article alleges hundreds of thousands file tax returns, but with around 12 million illegal immigrants in the country, thats a drop in the bucket.

"undocumented immigrants (except in rare and unusual cases) have not enjoyed the right to vote "

Well they can in New Mexico.  And in most other states.  Mind you, its technically illegal, but since the only penalty is deportation, many do vote for politicians who will vote favorably to them.  Many states do not require proof of citizenship to register to vote, just proof of residency and an ID.  In New Mexico, illigal immigrants are given drivers licenses for free, while citizens have to pay for them.

And as they count in the Census, states with high numbers of illegal immigrants can even have the number of representative they send to Congress boosted above what it should be.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2010, 03:12:05 pm »

Zifnab, you are awfully short sighted.
The illegal immigrants are there to respond to a demand : low salaries workforce.
It's a very badly kept secret which industry employ them. Here you know that you will find them in construction, restoration gardening and housekeeping. You can probably cite several establishment employing them, and if you can anyone can.

Yes, being a poor subgroup of the urban population, they are especially subject to drug usage and criminality.
But if you get rid of them, or if they become wealthier you will have hire native at way higher wage. If anyone want of these jobs a all.

That law is an awesome example of hypocrisy, because they are selling you this law as a deterrent for illegal immigration (of course it won't work), when it actually about ensuring that the migrant stay poor and helpless.   
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2010, 02:44:07 am »

The illegal immigrants are there to respond to a demand : low salaries workforce.
It's a very badly kept secret which industry employ them. Here you know that you will find them in construction, restoration gardening and housekeeping. You can probably cite several establishment employing them, and if you can anyone can.

Yes, being a poor subgroup of the urban population, they are especially subject to drug usage and criminality.
But if you get rid of them, or if they become wealthier you will have hire native at way higher wage. If anyone want of these jobs a all.

That law is an awesome example of hypocrisy, because they are selling you this law as a deterrent for illegal immigration (of course it won't work), when it actually about ensuring that the migrant stay poor and helpless.

Then lower the minimum wage and expand the legal alien work permit programs.  All it would take is a couple of pages of legislation.

Of course for this to work right, the government would have to get out of the housing markets and let home prices adjust to demand so that the people that would be working at the now lower minimum wage could find somewhere to live.

And if you didn't change the minimum wage, and industries couldn't exist paying legal salaries, is this really so bad?  It would create demand for new technologies to revolutionize their industries.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2010, 05:21:42 am »

Then lower the minimum wage and expand the legal alien work permit programs.  All it would take is a couple of pages of legislation.

Of course for this to work right, the government would have to get out of the housing markets and let home prices adjust to demand so that the people that would be working at the now lower minimum wage could find somewhere to live.

And if you didn't change the minimum wage, and industries couldn't exist paying legal salaries, is this really so bad?  It would create demand for new technologies to revolutionize their industries.

There are two problems to this that I see. The first is that lowering the minimum wage would be unpopular and also wouldn't help many people other than the companies who employ large numbers of minimum wage employees, like McDonalds or other large corporations. Also, the minimum wagers would have less money to spend on luxury items, which would have an effect on the economy, however small, which would even hurt the places like McDonalds so it's a sword with a sharp handle.

The second and more important reason is that the illegal immigrant is not protected by the minimum wage as you mentioned. Here is the way under the table jobs work, at least where I live. Basically instead of being paid $7.50 or whatever with the tax taken out, you are paid $5 under the table which pretty much works out to about the same wage without taxes. In this way the minimum wage is more of a guideline as to how much you can pay your workers while avoiding taxes without them informing the government. Illegals wouldn't be able to talk to the government out of fear of deportation. I'd imagine there is even more incentive to pay under the table when your workers can't complain to the government, and to pay even less than you would to someone who can choose to tell the government. I've worked in roofing and cement before, and I was always paid under the table. The same with any temp job I've had for the summer, like running go-karts or selling fresh produce. The problem with relying on a certain number of alien work permits is that whoever is in charge of it can keep the number issued low enough to be ineffective, so that illegals will still come over anyways and be unprotected by minimum wage law. I agree with your statement that more legal work permits should be issued. The problem that will likely keep it from functioning correctly is that it would ruin this nice little system that provides cheap labor while stirring up the emotions of the people in the favor of a certain political party that is tied to the companies who benefit from the cheap labor.

Basically what I foresee happening is the people of Arizona becoming more and more bewildered as to why the hell the plan isn't working, while illegals still take the jobs building houses for half the wage paid to a legal citizen. In this way government, the native, and the immigrant are all taken advantage of by business and the politicians they control while the voting base is mislead into believing that the harsher one is on immigration, the more effective. As long as it isn't free and easy to become a legal immigrant, they will be taking your jobs due to being unprotected by the minimum wage, as strange as that may sound, while not making enough money to consume goods in a way that will enable the wages paid to the illegal immigrant to make as large a benefit on the economy, as well as not paying taxes.

From an economic view, it seems to me in the long run having a larger customer base would be a good thing for Arizona. The downside is on the individual level, namely that natives have to compete with immigrant people for jobs. This is what many people seem to focus on, without considering the fact that a Mexican paid minimum wage will probably consume just as much as a native while contributing to the expansion of the economy through that consumerism, eventually creating more jobs to service the new people. Immigration has had a huge effect in making regions powerful and to make their economies expand if it is handled correctly. New York City is still the largest city in the US, LA is large in part due to the California gold rush, and I'm sure there's other examples in US history.

Also, how is the government in the housing market? I don't have too much knowledge in the area, but I have a hard time believing it's mostly due to the government that house prices in the free market system rise or fall. My guess is it is tied to speculators, AKA real estate firms, buying up anything reasonably priced and charging 25-40% markup on it from what they paid. If those prices are raised too high through speculation, then the bottom falls out like what happened in that housing bubble that had such a bad effect on the economy.

Finally, how would it benefit the government to have it's people be unable to buy a house without a soul crushing loan to pay off? That sounds more like the realm of private business to me.

Also, when I say native, I mean a non-immigrant whether white, red, or brown, no offense meant.

Zifnab, just out of curiosity because I never hear anyone speak about it, what are the American Indian's goals? Are the efforts separated by tribe or is there a sort of confederation among them all working towards a common goal? Also, what goal is that and is it supported by the majority or is it fringe groups?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:24:17 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2010, 12:22:14 pm »

The housing market is inflated with low-quality loans required by government mandate.  That means that is the government ordered the banks to make a cetain number of loans that the banks would not have granted because they were too risky.  This allows a lot more people into the housing market, driving up prices.  Furthermore, the extremely low interest rates  set by Fed Chairman Greenspan after the dot com crash led to even more people getting into the market, and increased speculation by those buyers looking for investments rather than homes.

The benefit to the government is higher property taxes.  Higher property price = more tax $ = government benefit

Of course lowering the minimum wage would be unpopular.  Doesn't mean its not right.  And I know the minimum wage does not affect illegal immigrants.  Thats why lowering it would make legal workers more competative with illegal workers.

And in many areas of the country, illegal immigrants do not make up the primary low-wage workforce.  So I do not believe that these industries will fall apart if illegal immigrants can no longer work there.  And if a construction company is willing to break a law regarding employment, it makes me wonder what other laws they are breaking while building my house, such as those governing safety.

I'd also like to see a harsh crackdown on employers of illegal immigrants.  Maybe a three strikes situation.  First strike getting caught employing illegals, a big fine.  Second strike, your buisiness shut down for a week of the government's choosing and a big fine.  Third strike, permanent loss of buisiness license and primary owner banned from getting a business license for 10 years.

I have no idea what native americans' view on the subject are.  I would imagine that they are as wide ranging as the views of the rest of us.  The native americans I have spent a lot of time around are either completely normal americans or are involved with efforts to protect tribal sovereignty.  Or are drug addicts.  I grew up just outside one of the poorest reservations in the country, and there were a lot of people that turned to alcohol and meth to deal with their lives.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2010, 02:01:37 pm »

The housing market is inflated with low-quality loans required by government mandate.  That means that is the government ordered the banks to make a cetain number of loans that the banks would not have granted because they were too risky.  This allows a lot more people into the housing market, driving up prices.  Furthermore, the extremely low interest rates  set by Fed Chairman Greenspan after the dot com crash led to even more people getting into the market, and increased speculation by those buyers looking for investments rather than homes.

The benefit to the government is higher property taxes.  Higher property price = more tax $ = government benefit

Of course lowering the minimum wage would be unpopular.  Doesn't mean its not right.  And I know the minimum wage does not affect illegal immigrants.  Thats why lowering it would make legal workers more competative with illegal workers.

And in many areas of the country, illegal immigrants do not make up the primary low-wage workforce.  So I do not believe that these industries will fall apart if illegal immigrants can no longer work there.  And if a construction company is willing to break a law regarding employment, it makes me wonder what other laws they are breaking while building my house, such as those governing safety.

I'd also like to see a harsh crackdown on employers of illegal immigrants.  Maybe a three strikes situation.  First strike getting caught employing illegals, a big fine.  Second strike, your buisiness shut down for a week of the government's choosing and a big fine.  Third strike, permanent loss of buisiness license and primary owner banned from getting a business license for 10 years.

I have no idea what native americans' view on the subject are.  I would imagine that they are as wide ranging as the views of the rest of us.  The native americans I have spent a lot of time around are either completely normal americans or are involved with efforts to protect tribal sovereignty.  Or are drug addicts.  I grew up just outside one of the poorest reservations in the country, and there were a lot of people that turned to alcohol and meth to deal with their lives.

Lowering minimum wage wouldn't lower the cost of living. You'd just be putting countless families out of their homes and throwing them below the poverty line. Plus it still wouldn't stop people emplying illegal immigrants from paying them lower wages than minimum wage. All it'd accomplish would be everyone getting paid less while the cost of living increases. In a country like the US where a single doctors bill can bankrupt an otherwise financially OK family you'd end up with riots in the streets.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2010, 02:13:00 pm »

The housing market is inflated with low-quality loans required by government mandate.  That means that is the government ordered the banks to make a cetain number of loans that the banks would not have granted because they were too risky.  This allows a lot more people into the housing market, driving up prices.

I really wish people would stop repeating this blatant lie, just because it's so much easier to blame everything on the government.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »

The housing market is inflated with low-quality loans required by government mandate.  That means that is the government ordered the banks to make a cetain number of loans that the banks would not have granted because they were too risky.  This allows a lot more people into the housing market, driving up prices.

I really wish people would stop repeating this blatant lie, just because it's so much easier to blame everything on the government.

But the poor banks! They were forced by the mean greedy government to screw people over for huge profits!

It's a sad day when noone will spare a moments thought for the bank executives and all the piles of cash they've been forced to make by the malicious and evil politicians. :P

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2010, 02:38:41 pm »

EDIT:: Also, the "They're stealing our jobs!" argument is stupid, and racist. Most jobs they do no one else wants, and that statement implies that they are different, and inferior to an American.

Are you serious? It's purely economic. Unemployment is high. This years graduates are competing for jobs with last years graduates, and middle aged men who have been laid off.

More unestablished people = more job competition = lower standard of living.

Mexicans were brought over to work on farms and such up through the 1920's because there was a need for labor, once the depression started, people wanted the boarder closed up. It's been that way ever since.

Please tell me how that's racist.
EDIT: and/or stupid.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:49:27 pm by AtomicPaperclip »
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2010, 02:57:52 pm »

I dont understand how people are even getting angry at this, they're illegal immigrants, so it doesnt make any sense. Can someone please explain this to me, how you can get mad at this?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2010, 05:34:13 pm »

Since the illegal immigrants are about 95% Hispanic, it is assumed anyone against illegal immigration is a filthy white redneck racist.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

Since the illegal immigrants are about 95% Hispanic, it is assumed anyone against illegal immigration is a filthy white redneck racist.

Ohhh strawman-showdown is it? Lets play!

Since a law was passed stating that anyone who looks like they might be a filthy immigrant must be stopped and asked for their ID and papers (and as nikov said, 95% of illegal immigrants are hispanic) institutionalised racism exists in Arizona.

Your turn. :D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:48 pm »

This discussion is getting into dumbfuck squabbling. Back in your court.

As in: Pettiness is seeping in. Plug the holes within the grocery store.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:29:56 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2010, 07:34:00 pm »

I live in Arizona, so I am sick of all these people bitching about oh thats racist. YOU DON'T LIVE WHERE WE HAVE ILLEGALS EVERYWHERE! Our crime rates have gone up, and when I turn on the news and find out some lady was raped or 5 people where shot dead by Illegals who fled back it really grinds my gears. Our hospitols and E.R.s are packed with illegals who don't have to pay a dime to get free treatment from a country they don't have citizenship too. Guys, this is not an issue of law.. ILLEGALS HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER UNITED STATES LAW BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT US CITIZENS! I am sick of them walking around the town crowding up places trying to get work, stealing the jobs from people who need them and are legal citizens, its just a bunch of bull. People that don't live in a border state or town can yammer all they want but they don't live where the problem is and see it every day.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15