Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Arizona Bill Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children  (Read 11131 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/15/arizona.immigration.children/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Can't say this suprises me, but its dishearting all the same. Given what happened last time Arizona passed immigration laws, I suspect the other states will be less than pleased.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:48:19 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pathos

Re: Arizona To-Be-Law Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:14:17 am »

...Isn't that illegal? I'm fairly certain every country in the world gives citizenship to the children of immigrants, at least if they've been born in the country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:27:05 am »

The status of illegal immigrant children has never been set in stone. Its assumed that they are, but people are always out there to rock the boat. There has only been one conclucive ruling on the matter, and Arizona has not violated its terms with this law. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wong_Kim_Ark

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:44:38 am »

...Isn't that illegal? I'm fairly certain every country in the world gives citizenship to the children of immigrants, at least if they've been born in the country.

Every country in the world? No.  Far from it.
US is one of the few that gives automatic citizenship to people born on its soil and boats(?).  From last I check anyways, a few years ago, so my memory could be inaccurate.

So, yea, at this point, it'll take another Supreme Court battle to fight the legality and legitimacy or otherwise of this new law.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Pathos

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »

Every country in the world? No.  Far from it.
US is one of the few that gives automatic citizenship to people born on its soil and boats(?).  From last I check anyways, a few years ago, so my memory could be inaccurate.

So, yea, at this point, it'll take another Supreme Court battle to fight the legality and legitimacy or otherwise of this new law.

Well, the ones capable of enforcing it do, at the least. It's a standard in the EU.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:45:50 pm »

Look at it from Arizona's point of view:

Arizona, Texas, California, and New Mexico have to pay billions of dollars a year to deal with catching, deporting, and all the other costs that go with illegal immigrants without any funding from the federal government.

It's not a state issue, it's a national issue, and they want EVERYONE to help pay for it instead of just them. So these laws are to put pressure on the Obama administration and the legislature to pass immigration reform laws.

The citizenship of children is one of the big reasons for coming here and it's a big problem because a lot of these children will attend school, even though their parents don't submit a census form so they don't receive enough funding for schools etc.

In Tuscon Arizona, with a population of over 500,000 people, there is ONE emergency room. They can't stay in business because they can't refuse treatment to people without insurance, and illegal immigrants receive medical care there and leave without ever paying.

Arizona has every right to crack down on illegal immigrants.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:16:19 pm »

Look at it from Arizona's point of view:

Arizona, Texas, California, and New Mexico have to pay billions of dollars a year to deal with catching, deporting, and all the other costs that go with illegal immigrants without any funding from the federal government.

It's not a state issue, it's a national issue, and they want EVERYONE to help pay for it instead of just them. So these laws are to put pressure on the Obama administration and the legislature to pass immigration reform laws.

The citizenship of children is one of the big reasons for coming here and it's a big problem because a lot of these children will attend school, even though their parents don't submit a census form so they don't receive enough funding for schools etc.

In Tuscon Arizona, with a population of over 500,000 people, there is ONE emergency room. They can't stay in business because they can't refuse treatment to people without insurance, and illegal immigrants receive medical care there and leave without ever paying.

Something is wrong there...  how much of that population is 'illegal'? 400,000?

What is the emergency room ratio to population anyways?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Pathos

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 01:31:03 pm »

I do find it funny, though, how a country made of immigrants is one of the most aggressive towards immigrants.

After all, it's such a terrible thing that parents want a better life for their children.

(It sounds like that's Arizona's fault. Maybe if they put a bit more funding towards emergency rooms?)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:59 pm »

That's the whole point, they want the system to be reformed so more people can become legal citizens.

Honestly nobody wants to pay more money so non-tax-payers can receive medical care for free

Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:35:25 pm »

We are against illegal immigrants. There is a system for some reasons.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 01:40:26 pm »

Historically Americans have been pretty anti-immigrant...

Know Nothing party, Ku Klux Klan, Immigration Act of 1924...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 01:52:05 pm »

Historically Americans have been pretty anti-immigrant...

Know Nothing party, Ku Klux Klan, Immigration Act of 1924...

I always find it odd how anti-immigration so many Americans are, while simultaniously every American I've ever met has got some wierd obsession with where their ancestors originally came from. Italian-American, Irish-American, etc.

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 02:01:40 pm »

We are all illegal immigrants on the native's land

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 02:03:04 pm »

I always find it odd how anti-immigration so many Americans are, while simultaniously every American I've ever met has got some wierd obsession with where their ancestors originally came from. Italian-American, Irish-American, etc.
Yeah I think it's stupid.

Also frustrating =/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 02:04:28 pm »

That's the whole point, they want the system to be reformed so more people can become legal citizens.

Honestly nobody wants to pay more money so non-tax-payers can receive medical care for free

Actually, they do pay taxes if they work in 'legit' places with fake information.  They don't get other public services, but they pay into it.

Though anyone, legal or not can work under the table.

Its pretty easy to ignore inconvenient things, especially when you are the government.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15