stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31595 times)

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 01:58:42 am »

voting "other". you should really add the FPS:0 option to the poll.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2010, 03:05:21 am »

Framerate, or goblin sieges mostly. I've been struggling getting the new military up and running, since I used to have about 30-50% marksdwarves in my army. Now that my military works, my fortress with triple depth in the worldgen settings is suffering. Down to 10 fps during combats, about 40 otherwise. I'm worried for a few more years down the line. I've got 130 dwarves and only the first cavern breached so far.

- ops

edit: A goblin ambush of entirely axemen just wiped out 6 dwarves, including 2 of my original 7. Looks like it's tantrum time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:10:04 am by opsneakie »
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2010, 06:56:07 am »

Yeah, the non-flesh FBs spell "fortress over", being quite unkillable. I had a giant FB made of Amber, slowly harassing my people after being broken in all body parts. And being in Genesis mod, the paralysis-breath dwarf's breath suffocated 90% of my 30 war dogs. (Deleted firebreath/webber/paralysisbreath from dwarves after that.)

Yeah, they're more trouble than worth since you can't even use their remains in some artifact. At the moment, at least.

Anyway, Ost had one thing that made him even more "OH GOD NO". All the hits my military did glanced away. They were all equipped with steel axes. Ost didn't get even one scratch during the fight he had with the soldiers. Every other inorganic FB I've met had limbs chopped off be it vomit or clear glass or fire that they were made of, but Ost was different.

To keep this somewhat ontopic:

When making a hermit fort, and you're designing a magma-drop trap in the arctic hell that is your home and your's alone, be careful when walking close to magma if there are sudden design failures that require rebuilding, it's really easy to melt just by standing at the wrong(worst) place.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44:54 am »

Continous goblin sieges, underground threaths, titans and forgotten beasts slowly gnawing away my military strength and morale until things just fall down into pieces.

When Goblin siege arrives, with their civilizations General leading the charge, with TENS AND TENS of goblins, including swordmasters, elite marksgoblins and other elite soldiers, all riding these dudes as mounts:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Jabberer
And big bunch of trolls following their lead..
..when that happens, I know my fortress's lifespan is nearing it's end. This siege usually is the thing that destroys all military strength I have left. I've survived this at least couple of times, but even then all my veterans die or something, and I get depressed by their deaths and abondon the fortress. Luckily a real-life tantrum spiral has been avoided this far.

No, I won't just "raise the bridge and seal myself in". That's not what real dwarves do!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:53:41 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:28 am »

Boredom and FPS. The two banes of dwarven life.

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2010, 11:31:28 am »

I hesitate to say starvation, but when you come down to it, it's true. With my forts, no matter what happens- be it a siege, a berserker or a tantrum spiral- starvation is always what ends up getting my forts. I pull through every other problem, but after them, I have no food. I generally play conservatively, so no digging for forgotten beasts or turning elf merchants into a fine paste. In the end, it's a failure, one way or another, to meet such a base need that brings down my fortresses. Not an enemy without or within, nor a major flaw in planning or a catastrophic accident. They may be a part of it, but what ends up taking me down is always hunger.

10x10 farm plots, dude.

Those feed a fuckton of dwarves...

I usually have too MUCH food.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »

I usually have too MUCH food.

Me too. I frequently run out of stockpile space for it and have to dig more, while excess food rots in the kitchen...
Also barrels for drinks are much bigger problem that drinks themselves.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2010, 01:40:44 pm »

mine got lost because of a berserk carpenter and woodcutter that grabed a hold of a adamantine axe she managed to mown down my military and two champion before of proced to paint the wall whit body parst of everything inside of the fort
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2010, 01:58:08 pm »

I've got a fair collection of "other" for myself: New versions, low FPS caused by waterfall, low FPS lowered more by a cavern waterfall, no traders due to my home civ being without significant leaders, etcetera. I probably would have continued my last fort for a bit longer if it weren't that stuff piling up.

For other forts, it's a mix of things, including a bit of OCD as well as training: I still think of myself as new, and I tend to get a place started, learn from mistakes, and start a new fort with earlier lessons in mind. I also plan further and further ahead, figuring out a modular system I can apply to the fortress on a larger scale. Currently, I've got a hexagonal grid in mind.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:32 pm »

Lots of people are voting.  I am a terrible manager and have not gotten a fort with good food and water supply yet.  Starving is my choice. 

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:46 pm »

Goblins once or twice, Demons once or twice, FPS alot, flying megabeast once, Think a cavespider nearly did in one fort, HD implosion once.
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2010, 04:39:38 pm »

The only fort that has crumbled to its end has been from demons, in the end before all i had left was a high skilled woodcutter and the the only frog demon not set on vandalism chased him so long that the game should have started playing yakety sax.
Every other fort has just been abandoned to boredom or new ideas.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »

Most of the time its that temporal disaster, dubbed as 'FPS' by Urist McPhilosopher.

In 31.x i also lost forts to: 1) goblins, 2) FBs, 3) FBs' bio-chemical warfare.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2010, 07:20:43 pm »

I have a tendency to Make Economic/Science based forts.

I ignore my military and rely on a comprehensive defense grid to keep my dorfs safe (that fails from time to time, hence me picking goblins as the main cause of death.)

surprisingly my science doesn't  explode disastrously nearly as much as I'd like, I feel like I'm doing it wrong somehow.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2010, 07:51:54 pm »

Most of my forts die within the first year, because I get bored of digging out stockpiles and crap.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15