stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31583 times)

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 10:13:54 am »

Sounds like both miners have to die, and quickly.  Draft everyone else and dogpile them. 

Then, instead of going down to the caverns, you could either collapse a surface section with food and plants, or release your pets onto the surface as sacrificial bait before sending a few dwarves out to retrieve supplies.

Orris

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 10:16:32 am »

my own goddamn sense of perfection

what.. oh shit! that one room five floors down does not ALIGN TO THE MAIN STAIRCASE! NOOOOO!

This, this, a THOUSAND TIMES this.

I restarted a year-old fort because I realized my meeting hall was one tile off from being symmetrical to a workshop room half the fort away.

I am so goddamn messy in real life, why do my forts have to be completely and utterly perfect?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:56 am »

oh also, crying and pleading for the caravan to come because my cistern wasn't full enough to have a well when the winter freeze came.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 10:40:02 am »

I feel that the leading cause of fort failure is the 'learning curve'. right now i am still trying to re-learn the military in the new version, and not dealing with it in the best manner yet.
I suggest embarking with 3-7 short swords, and never crafting crossbows(clubs) or training weapons. Make a short-sword and metal armor uniform and never command an uniform change after the initial one the squad gets.
Un-designate barracks to stop them from training. That's what I do.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 10:42:34 am »

Bugs - most of my fortress end atm with bad, bad bugs. I can cope with lost dwarfes due to tantrum spirals or due to goblin master lashers (they seem to be really badass in the latest versions), but I can't bare a screwed up military, health system or some other plot stopper alike bug.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 10:47:36 am »

That's when Ost, the towering humanoid of horn silver arrived. So I sent my military to fight, again.
Whatever it was, Ost took blows like being slapped with wet noodle, and one by one, punched my poor military to submission, crushing skulls and so on. And then he/she/it grabbed a pair of masterpiece steel greaves from one of my soldiers, and began beating everyone to a pulp with it.
Yeah, the non-flesh FBs spell "fortress over", being quite unkillable. I had a giant FB made of Amber, slowly harassing my people after being broken in all body parts. And being in Genesis mod, the paralysis-breath dwarf's breath suffocated 90% of my 30 war dogs. (Deleted firebreath/webber/paralysisbreath from dwarves after that.)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 12:05:08 pm »

I keep falling off the catastrophe curve. Keeping moody dwarves happy? No problem. Keeping the stumpy bastards fed? A bit of a dance, but mostly okay. Sieges and ambushes? Traps EVERYWHERE. Dealing with a population boom, particularly nobles who want everything yesterday? My perfectionism makes me fall behind, and...well...splat.

I think the game is catching on too. The second I start feeling good about myself, BAM! A craftsdwarf decides to prove that they are indeed all bastards and makes a 200k useless artifact, and suddenly I'm hip-deep in migrants and lesser evils.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 01:52:33 pm »

My .31 fortresses are lost mostly to pathfinding. And that's annoying.
-
V.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2010, 02:20:25 pm »

Yep, +1 to Death by Boredom tally. It's why megaprojects are so popular - there's nothing else to do in the lategame once your fort is fully settled. Years in the future that'll be different, what with the Army Arc and Caravan Arc, but right now it's about waiting for death by either FPS or getting some unkillable thing (either Forgotten Beast or opening up the Final Spoiler... which kills FPS really fast).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2010, 02:49:17 pm »

My own insanity/OCD. It's not perfect... never perfect and I can't undig the squares!
It's either too inefficient or too square and boxy.

Must make it usable and yet a nice place for the Dwarves to live/work. They don't care that the ceiling is 3z levels high and made of gold?!?! They don't care about the artificial chasms between room clusters so they can all have windows with a view of artificially created tree ledges? There's not enough barrels for my 2000 booze and my food? A pet fox Squirrel and a Dragon occupy the same amount of squares? Can't kill the training dummy bronze colossi. Crossbows are bugged/broken in this version? No shells? He doesn't want the shells from my modified cave tortoise for his mood? The elves aren't dead yet? We're out of pizza...? [dead silence]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Truean has canceled fortress design, too insane.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 02:56:21 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2010, 04:23:01 pm »

Hmm. In 0.31.xx, it's been mostly failures in creating a Dwarven Microwave. In 40d, however, I had a wide variety of spectacular, not-so-spectacular and simply epic deaths, I even had a Boatmurdered-esque ending with only a kid sitting in a refuse pile surviving, scorched landscape and a lot of dead elephants outside, and of course, my legendary (according to Dwarf Companion a year before the end, lv. 62 wrestler and lv. 55 axedwarf) champion was on fire, managed to kill 96 dwarves before he succumbed to the flames, and a tantrum spiral that took it's toll near my artifact furniture stockpile. By reasons unknown, the child was ecstatic until the goblins arrived and cut off her head.
I didn't derail this, did I?

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2010, 06:04:53 pm »

Boredom\Low FPS

Mostly

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:01 pm »

Yep. Boredom and FPS death have killed more forts than everything else combined. It's really not hard to make yourself invulnerable to pretty much anything.

Tantrum spirals would be second.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2010, 11:06:03 pm »

Same as the guy a page or two back--f'ing CAMELS. 'Course mine were skeletal and wandered in before the first migration... That's the only time I've had a fort actually fall. My very first fort almost succumbed to dehydration over the first winter.

The entire starting group and first wave of migrants died, save one. I'm not sure how he managed to survive--I'd assume he was the one that drank the last barrel of booze except for the fact that he was complaining of dehydration before some of the other dwarfs--but he managed to keep going as twenty other stout dwarves lay down and died. The last expired in early Obsidian, over a month before the thaw--which naturally caught my survivor at the wrong end of the fort. It was a tense two weeks watching him slooooowly crawl the length of the fortress, emerge into the sunshine, and stagger another twenty squares to the nearest murky pool, where he proceeded to drink for another two weeks.

The first thing he did after that was declare himself the Expedition Leader.

Um. Back on topic: I haven't lost a fort to boredom yet, but I shelved a few when the new version came out, so I guess you could count that. So that's what, three for "Other"? (F'ing Camels, Dehydration, Upgrade)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2010, 11:26:42 pm »

I have yet to open the new Fun Stuff, though my current fort is getting close to considering it. That may shake things up a bit. Though they're actually equipping both axes and armor, and training somehow, so I may do okay. We'll see.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15