Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3336 3337 [3338] 3339 3340 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3687335 times)

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition
« Reply #50055 on: February 06, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »

The linux install on my laptop does NOT like the university wifi. Couldn't get it to connect even though I was using the correct settings, took it to the help desk, she couldn't find anything wrong with what I was doing but inexplicably it worked then.
Okay,  now that it's working I'll install the packages I need. Nope, it decides to disconnect halfway through downloading the first package and now won't stay connected for more than a second. Dammit I need this for paid research!
At least I've got ethernet in my dorm room.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50056 on: February 06, 2015, 03:00:54 pm »

Anyway, regarding:

-snip-

Thanks for the commiseration. Sharing it really is better than letting it fester, whether or not internet cookies/hugs/etc are involved. Still feel shitty, and at a bit of a loss for how to proceed in life, but that's one less stress. Got to find new tools that prevent this from happening again, without compromising who I am. I don't know where to start. There really isn't any other way except doing more of the same with new people, and hoping it's different, is there? Maybe trusting gut instinct when I get the sense that a relationship of any sort is a commodity exchange, and being generally more vigillant about what I'm doing for whom. Pausing to consider requests instead of defaulting to "yes" until I burn myself out. Something like that, anyway.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: DVI-DUMBASS Edition
« Reply #50057 on: February 06, 2015, 03:23:29 pm »

-snip-
Aw, Soli, dude
*hugs*

I had no idea. I assumed since you had been scarce on the forums in the past year or so that things were going well for you. If you ever want to talk, even if it's about nothing or nonsense, I'm here for you. My PM box is open, and I'll send you a message with other contact info.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50058 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:12 pm »

I can get behind that reasoning. Having to look the object of your altruism in the face or not does have a big impact on whether or not you feel the social obligation to help them. Still, I think there's a difference between altruism that essentially costs you nothing, and altruism that can cost you your well-being and survival. Things in the wild tend to come with costs, where simply being nice and friendly or offering something you don't truly need in the human world does not.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50059 on: February 06, 2015, 03:56:57 pm »

This made me rage today. I'm definitely never going to read gawker again.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50060 on: February 06, 2015, 03:59:05 pm »

Ralph Hayes has officially pissed me off with his latest story, which reads almost like a science fiction Chick Tract.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50061 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:44 pm »

Ralph Hayes has officially pissed me off with his latest story, which reads almost like a science fiction Chick Tract.
Praise space jesus, ye heretic.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50062 on: February 06, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »

I never said that we were. You just managed to pull that out of 'I imagine that in the past...' somehow.

Apologies. My lack of sleep and desire to be mildly offended, apparently.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:44:12 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50063 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:19 pm »

I'm going to go crawl into a hole and pretend that people aren't that awful for once.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50064 on: February 06, 2015, 04:39:11 pm »

I'm going to go crawl into a hole and pretend that people aren't that awful for once.
That was quick and inevitable, is all I have to say. Ever since I saw the Coca-Cola ad about making the world a better place. In fact, the whole Superbowl message being "Be Good" becoming a form of weaponized hate instead, I saw that coming a mile away. It's as I stated before, we've become a world of hate.

Needless to say, I'm not shocked it happened. This was beyond predictable.

Now I wonder, if good can broadcast hate, then can we hatefully be good? You know, like a double-negative. They somehow reversed the polarity of a good message, so why can't we do that against hatred? Fire v Fire.

EDIT:
Then again, it could also be some teen/sad excuse of an adult that just loves to be a jackass, and had some free time to watch the world burn.

EDIT EDIT:
We need some ideas of raging love. A means of sounding like a bunch of hateful bigots with a message of love as the primary message, regardless how it's transmitted; or something. Like death metal with a holy backing in it's message, or something. I dunno. That's maybe too obvious. Troll with good intentions and the like. We need ideas. How can you be the most hated person for being good? ...Christ can be an example to play from? That might be too obvious an angle as well, I guess.

Basically, we need to find a way to do the reverse of this; make bad messages always broadcast good, whether be their intent or not; like they do with good, forcing them into bad. This is more difficult than it sounds even trying to explain what I'm trying to get across.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Forced celebrity status on hateful people (making them into ultra-good people; regardless, no matter how monstrous they are. Intentionally.). Give them unwanted fame, and plague them with it so badly, they'll be demotivated from it, as to not attract more unwanted attention. Make evil corporations donate their savings into charity, against their will, and have it disadvantage them in the process in a way they can't fight against it, lest they reveal themselves for the monsters they truly are (mind you, they donate so much it'll hit them so hard they'll have to sell off parts of their company, or file for bankruptcy, requiring them to somehow get their money back; go legit, or go broke. Have fun.). Of course, I'm falling into comical territory with this, but you get the gist.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:06:05 pm by Itnetlolor »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50065 on: February 06, 2015, 05:00:23 pm »

I responded differently. Sure, Hitler anything remains a trigger-point, bridging parody and attrocity in a way that understandably sets people off. Even so, I thought it was a clever subversion, and funny because of the contrast between Hitler and ASCII puppies. I wished we lived in a world that could just laugh at the subversion, and appreciate how disempowering it is to such a colossal message of racial hatred as Mein Kampf to turn it into a joke. Instead, Coke pulled the whole campaign and pouted, preventing other people from using it as intended, Gawkers joke was turned into ill-spirited Trolling, and no one wins.

Sometimes people need to be able to take a joke as intended, laugh about it or chastise someone for their poor taste, and carry on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50066 on: February 06, 2015, 05:50:47 pm »

Yeah, I thought it was a clever subversion of the ad campaign on it as well. Or maybe a subtle commentary on their algorithm. Sure it was a little troll-y, but what on the internet that is lulz worthy isn't to some degree?

So to me, the outrage seems a little misplaced.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50067 on: February 06, 2015, 05:56:38 pm »

Yeah, I thought it was a clever subversion of the ad campaign on it as well. Or maybe a subtle commentary on their algorithm. Sure it was a little troll-y, but what on the internet that is lulz worthy isn't to some degree?

So to me, the outrage seems a little misplaced.

+1

Equally so, actually employing someone to keep an eye on the Twitter account would have been a good idea in the first place.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50068 on: February 06, 2015, 05:58:31 pm »

Gawker called coke neo-nazis because of it. They literally did it to create controversy so they could make money. As a Jew, I am extremely offended by them using the deaths of millions of my people to create controversy so they could make money off of it. I have relatives who died in the holocaust, so pardon me for being angry that someone is using it to make money.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50069 on: February 06, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »

Gawker called coke neo-nazis because of it. They literally did it to create controversy so they could make money. As a Jew, I am extremely offended by them using the deaths of millions of my people to create controversy so they could make money off of it. I have relatives who died in the holocaust, so pardon me for being angry that someone is using it to make money.

They're not using the deaths of millions of your people, they're making fun of a multinational corporation attempting to look good through happy advertising. Coke won't make you any happier if you buy it.

Like I said, if they were actually monitoring the account, they could have caught it, made a joke about it, and got on with it. But they didn't, they picked up their ball and buggered off back home with it, because they can't take a joke.

Gawker aren't really any better than Coke if they're courting this controversy to cash-in, but they're by no means making fun of the Holocaust.

Pages: 1 ... 3336 3337 [3338] 3339 3340 ... 3345