Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2822 2823 [2824] 2825 2826 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692963 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

I demand to only feature in the campy 2nd series or crappy live film where all the supernatural stuff is real.

Or to be a stoner who thinks he's a wizard.

Anyway, just saw The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug, and it was the most sucktacular Tolkien movie to date.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Details on your opinion?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PROS

- Visuals were cool
- If it was standalone it could have been better (you know, made in a Lovecraft fan-fiction manner, i.e. "based on the works and setting of J. R. R. Tolkien" and not "based on a book called 'the habit' or 'the hobo' or something the writers read once or twice twenty years ago")
- Acting and stuff was masterful
- Acceptable story change: Bard was more than some random costar

CONS

- Tauriel, Legolas, romantic subplot
- Beorn scenes were shit, left out Gandalf being a smartass
- Azog, so much
- Barrel ride has ∞% more elves and orcs
- Gandalf and the Dol Guldur scenes
- The ending. It's not finished, it has nothing to do whatsoever with the book
- All the little plot changes. Bilbo fingering the ring every five seconds, no crashing elf parties, Bilbo sees the lake when he climbs the tree, most of the Bard shit that had nothing to do with remaking him into someone who isn't a random costar
- AAA IT'S RADAGAST KILL IT WITH FIRE
- I know I'm repeating myself, but Legolas, Tauriel, and the romantic subplot. If they'd cut that bullshit they might've had a watchable film.

Overall, it's good... except Jackson stripped the good stuff and glued 'interracial romance', LOADS OF SHITTY FILLER, and superfluous representation of women (Note: My sole beef here is that he injected a new character for the sole reason of having a prominent female character. I'm not trying to be sexist, it's just there was stuff they put in just to have it, severely decreasing quality, like the whole rest of the film.)

2 ★ / 5 ★ would not watch again
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

For someone who never read the books and personally felt they *shhhhhh* weren't very good! I quite enjoyed the movie! though I assume from reading a small amount of the original book that the movie seemed more light hearted than the actual book, show by the barrel ride sequence.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

- Acceptable story change: Bard was more than some random costar
When I first read The Hobbit, I was WTFing for a month or so about that guy. Where did he come from? Why is he there? Why couldn't someone who didn't just randomly appear for no apparent reason have killed the dragon?

Honestly, it was like Tolkien said "Bollocks to it, I can't be buggered writing a proper ending, so here. Have this random dude who came out of my goddamn arse save the sodding day. Deus-bloody-ex machina, you sods."
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For someone who never read the books and personally felt they *shhhhhh* weren't very good! I quite enjoyed the movie! though I assume from reading a small amount of the original book that the movie seemed more light hearted than the actual book, show by the barrel ride sequence.
You have it backwards. The book is lighthearted and widely considered to be suitable as a story for kids. In contrast, the movies try to turn the Hobbit into a same-toned LOTR prequel. The original material has to be taken in full-- snippets won't sway an opinion.

I cannot trust one who watched a movie adaptation before reading the book. :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to be Shaggy. Dude was my childhood role model.

Anyway: I think the reason a lot of Bay12ers seem to have terrible parents may be because we have the emotion threads to vent in when they screw up. *shrug* Obviously some of them are really bad, but you probably wouldn't hear too much about that if you met their kids in meatspace.

Actual current rage: I don't know what the hell's wrong with my body, but I can't seem to fix my sleep patterns like I normally would. I'm sure I've posted about this in a few threads by now, but my usual method is to just force myself to go to bed at a certain time, then stay there for eight hours regardless of how much sleep I get.
It seems to have been working okay lately (with the exception of Saturday night where I went out instead of sleeping) but every morning I still wake up tired, after several hours of sleep and half the time end up just turning off my alarm and sleeping some more.

This morning my alarm woke me up at 7AM, but I didn't get out of bed 'til 1PM because I was exhausted. Damnit, body. >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to be Shaggy. Dude was my childhood role model.
* Tawarochir looks at photos of Yoink from photo thread

* Tawarochir examines Shaggy

You succeeded following your role model. :P

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

You have it backwards. The book is lighthearted and widely considered to be suitable as a story for kids. In contrast, the movies try to turn the Hobbit into a same-toned LOTR prequel. The original material has to be taken in full-- snippets won't sway an opinion.

I cannot trust one who watched a movie adaptation before reading the book. :P
I'm not trying to sway your opinion, trust me, I enjoyed the movie, you enjoyed the books, I have no interest in swaying any opinions.
And on reflection it was probably LOTR that I was reading, not to hobbit, so yhea.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ohoho.

The Hobbit is much more entertaining than LOTR. The book is much more whimsical and involves much less long lore-explaining rambling between old men.

And what I meant by "swaying opinions" was that you reading snippets of the Hobbit wouldn't change your opinion on whether the book or films are better.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42355 on: September 01, 2014, 12:01:31 am »

The book's barrel ride didn't include dwarfs fighting with orcs while white-water rafting in barrels...at least I'm fairly certain it didn't. Been a while since I read the Hobbit.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42356 on: September 01, 2014, 01:35:59 am »

I don't see how anyone would find The Hobbit book good unless they're really young children.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the only reason people like it is because it's associated with Lord of the Rings.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42357 on: September 01, 2014, 01:39:46 am »

I don't see how anyone would find The Hobbit book good unless they're really young children.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the only reason people like it is because it's associated with Lord of the Rings.

It's a good, wholesome adventure story, that's why. Hero's Journey, all that shit. I knew and liked the Hobbit long before LotR.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42358 on: September 01, 2014, 01:44:32 am »

Yeah, I very much like the Hobbit (but not the movies, except the animated one back in ye olden day). It's powerfully atmospheric, and reminds me a lot of how action-adventure video games tend to set up their settings. Which probably explains why there was an action-adventure video game adaptation of the Hobbit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42359 on: September 01, 2014, 02:25:37 am »

It's a good, wholesome adventure story, that's why. Hero's Journey, all that shit. I knew and liked the Hobbit long before LotR.
I guess I just find it boring because it's not very magical in my perspective. I mean, I'd rather read Redwall.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 2822 2823 [2824] 2825 2826 ... 3345