Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2823 2824 [2825] 2826 2827 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691828 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42360 on: September 01, 2014, 03:55:48 am »

I don't see how anyone would find The Hobbit book good unless they're really young children.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the only reason people like it is because it's associated with Lord of the Rings.

It's a good, wholesome adventure story, that's why. Hero's Journey, all that shit. I knew and liked the Hobbit long before LotR.
I guess I just find it boring because it's not very magical in my perspective. I mean, I'd rather read Redwall.
I honestly like The Hobbit -- as a story -- more than LotR, which I suppose has a bit of sense behind it considering that, IIRC, it was derived from a fairy tale he invented for his children. Ofc. Tolkien was always more of a linguist than a storyteller, which bears a big part of the responsibility for most of the stuff he wrote being so plodding; it was less story and more fantastic history/mythology text. That said, he gets credit for an important contribution to fantasy (no, not all the tropes): subtle magic. That's always stood out as one of the best parts of LotR in my eyes, how magic manages to be simultaneously matter-of-fact and outright miraculous without ever being flashier than... well, a high lumen count spotlight.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42361 on: September 01, 2014, 04:13:35 am »

That was pretty much the best part of Tolkein to me, how almost all the magic users in setting didn't really exert themselves at all, or if they did, did it offscreen, but left hints of 'holy shit so that's what that [odd event] was'.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42362 on: September 01, 2014, 05:59:23 am »

Magic's never explained, though, is it? It never happens on-screen, and its off-screen instances are never explained.

@Hobbit: Liked that book much more than the LotR trilogy, which was just boring to be honest. Content of the first book: They leave a village and walk through a forest. That's it. What the hell, Tolkien?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42363 on: September 01, 2014, 06:11:25 am »

If you go on a Lord of the Rings tour in New Zealand, you've already done more adventuring than the first book. :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42364 on: September 01, 2014, 06:49:53 am »

Happy Labor Day, Americans!

Today is a federally mandated holiday, created so that everyone could have a peaceful day off, because Americans in general and especially blue collar workers, work too much for too little pay.

Unless you're 1/4 of the population who works in the retail sector. Today is marked by sales of all kinds and is second in advertising only to Black Friday. Fuck you, retail jockeys, get back to work. >:C

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42365 on: September 01, 2014, 11:28:27 am »

Magic's never explained, though, is it? It never happens on-screen, and its off-screen instances are never explained.

@Hobbit: Liked that book much more than the LotR trilogy, which was just boring to be honest. Content of the first book: They leave a village and walk through a forest. That's it. What the hell, Tolkien?
Spoiler: LotR spoilers (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42366 on: September 01, 2014, 11:37:33 am »

I loved the Hobbit book, it is at least as good as LotR.

I liked the movies. The weird bits (dwarf+elf, seriously, come on.) were offset by the novelty of seeing the Hobbit on the screen, the good effects, and that I understand the desire to have changes between book and film.

That said, they made some stupid changes, and Legolas in particular looks as plastic as all get out. The only truly memorable scene is the one with Gloin's pictures of his wife and Gimli.

Still, I enjoyed it and would watch it again. But they could have made so much more of it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #42367 on: September 01, 2014, 11:45:22 am »

I liked the Hobbit too, actually.
Have yet to get around to reading LotR.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42368 on: September 01, 2014, 11:57:56 am »

LotR was more of an epic than a "normal" book. The Hobbit was a good book though. I can't really pinpoint what was so good about it, but it was great. A big sense of adventure. LotR is great too, but in a different way (then again, it's like five times longer than the Hobbit). The Hobbit is an adventure to get a big ole pile of gold, LotR is an epic about how Sauron was defeated.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42369 on: September 01, 2014, 12:03:14 pm »

What I liked about the Hobbit was the development of Bilbo. How the small became the mighty against all odds, gained the respect of Dwarves and Wizards, and Triumphed (Even in some small way) against a dragon.

It just makes me feel good.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42370 on: September 01, 2014, 12:42:20 pm »

I see Game of Thrones article on Facebook. "I'm caught up in the show, and I've even finished the third book. There's no spoiler warning, and besides, what are the odds of them spoiling something really awesome?"

Cue spoiler for the one thing I was most curious about after S4E10/Storm. I quit books and TV forever.

It wasn't even a real spoiler, it was one of those shitty "We're not saying anybody dies gruesomely, but something really bad happens to this character *wink wink nudge nudge fuckyou fuckyou*" style spoilers where it's easy enough to guess what's happening.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42371 on: September 01, 2014, 01:09:10 pm »

I had to give up on Game of Thrones simply because I wasn't engaged enough for the stress of avoiding accidental spoilers to be worth it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42372 on: September 01, 2014, 01:09:54 pm »

The only truly memorable scene is the one with Gloin's pictures of his wife and Gimli.
Oh yeah, that was a classic. Loved that bit.

But in my mind, the movie would've been twice as good if they hadn't added the pointless ending (let's all coat him in gold to no effect, so that Peter Jackson can milk the franchise further!) and the whole "romance" subplot.

Oh, and in terms of comic effect, the part in the river 'chase' (which was a bad decision in its own right) where Bombur goes flying and knocks down a bunch of orcs was funny. Donkey Kong: Middle-Earth edition!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42373 on: September 01, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »

I don't see how anyone would find The Hobbit book good unless they're really young children.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the only reason people like it is because it's associated with Lord of the Rings.

It's a good, wholesome adventure story, that's why. Hero's Journey, all that shit. I knew and liked the Hobbit long before LotR.
I guess I just find it boring because it's not very magical in my perspective. I mean, I'd rather read Redwall.

Wait a sec. You criticize The Hobbit as being for children, and then say you prefer Redwall?

Does not compute. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42374 on: September 01, 2014, 01:48:03 pm »

Wait a sec. You criticize The Hobbit as being for children, and then say you prefer Redwall?

Does not compute. :P

I thought we'd all made a collective unconscious decision to not peg him/her on that one?  :P

But seriously though, from what I recall those books were about a half-step away from being really grimdark, and most of that half-step was composed of the fact that all of the protagonists were cute, fuzzy animals. Because seriously, "vastly more powerful enemies that will eat you if they catch you, and they're fucking everywhere".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 2823 2824 [2825] 2826 2827 ... 3345