Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2824 2825 [2826] 2827 2828 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692454 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42375 on: September 01, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »

It's cheerful children's writing, interspersed with some dark but not super detailed villains and plot movements. The books get slightly more adult around Mariel of Redwall.....but I don't think I've ever considered those anything but children/young adult fantasy. I mean...just based on the fact some of the most words in those stories are devoted to what people eat, and they don't eat meat...has always been a sign to me of what Jacques thought was appropriate for kids.

Watership Down, on the other hand...
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42376 on: September 01, 2014, 01:50:01 pm »

Think the statement being made was, if one was after a low/no magic fantasy setting for a younger audience, Obj would prefer redwall over the hobbit.

Not really sure where I'd stand on that one. Redwall stuff gets pretty goddamn brutal (i.e., I'd actually recommend it for an older audience than I would the Hobbit), iirc, and there was like a metric crapton of the things, whereas the Hobbit was, well. One book. Compared to at least a dozen (Actually, looked it up. Twenty frikkin' two. Also two picture books!).

Buncha' the redwall stuff was pretty good reading, though. Also nice. Have re-read the hobbit more times than I've read individual redwall books, but I wouldn't crap on either of them.

... I've only read like maybe six or seven of the redwall books, though, and I think all of that pre-2000. Didn't quite realize there were so bloody many of them nowadays.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42377 on: September 01, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »

Watership Down isn't a children's story, unless you're a trollish Blockbuster employee willing to traumatize children with the film adaption for the sake of getting one over on a lazy parent.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42378 on: September 01, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

Nah, I wouldn't crap on either myself, they're both good series/books. The two adult themes I remember most from Redwall are slavery and "reckt hero crawling across the ground refusing to give up." Both the Hobbit and Redwall have decent body counts in them, and I do think Redwall starts faster in that regard.

Watership Down isn't a children's story, unless you're a trollish Blockbuster employee willing to traumatize children with the film adaption for the sake of getting one over on a lazy parent.

:P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42379 on: September 01, 2014, 01:55:58 pm »

Redwall stuff gets pretty goddamn brutal

I actually stopped reading them (when I was much younger) because I came across a fairly graphic description of a pirate captain decapitating a crewmember (I think it was in Bellmaker). I wouldn't really recommend them as kids' books.

My biggest problem with Redwall is that they're almost all extremely similar in terms of plot, or at least seemed so to me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42380 on: September 01, 2014, 02:00:57 pm »

Heh. Yeah, I think I put Redwall about in the same category I do Xanth, insofar as age appropriateness goes. Drastically different reasons, but they're both stuff I'd consider easily mistaken for younger audiences. Young adults, maybe, but...

Mind you, with Xanth m'fairly sure Anthony is aiming them at younger readers, but Anthony is also a freak.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #42381 on: September 01, 2014, 02:05:37 pm »

I read Redwall as a kid. Don't remember anything of it though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42382 on: September 01, 2014, 02:06:06 pm »

Heh. Yeah, I think I put Redwall about in the same category I do Xanth, insofar as age appropriateness goes. Drastically different reasons, but they're both stuff I'd consider easily mistaken for younger audiences. Young adults, maybe, but...

Mind you, with Xanth m'fairly sure Anthony is aiming them at younger readers, but Anthony is also a freak.

Grade-A USDA-approved prime freak.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #42383 on: September 01, 2014, 02:13:06 pm »

My biggest problem with Redwall is that they're almost all extremely similar in terms of plot, or at least seemed so to me.

I loved them as a kid and read a bunch of them, but some point I couldn't figure out which ones I had read and which ones I hadn't. That's when I stopped.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42384 on: September 01, 2014, 02:35:39 pm »

I read the original and the sequel in fifth grade.

I was the only kid in the class who liked the series, because I was the only guy who liked fantasy.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42385 on: September 01, 2014, 02:37:07 pm »

I only read Redwall book 1, actually. I liked the villains more than the protagonists because the heroes are goddamn overpowered.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42386 on: September 01, 2014, 02:39:25 pm »

... I'm pretty sure my class watched Watership Down in school in like 3rd or 4th grade...

But I also hardly remember anything about it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42387 on: September 01, 2014, 02:43:49 pm »

I think it's a staple of every child's school years to have watched all the most horrifying horrors to get schoolyard kudos

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #42388 on: September 01, 2014, 02:44:20 pm »

Yeah, there's a general formula.

Main hero and team one goes off on an adventure and meets lots of new people, secondary team two gets tasked with staying back and solving riddles to advance the plot, bad guy does bad guy stuff, everyone teams up in the end to war with the bad guy, bad guy dies of hubris and teamwork fueled by friendship. Also, cram a feast scene where all the animals bring their own cultural foods somewhere in there, and describe the food for pages.

That being said, I read a bunch of them, so that's probably how I figured it out.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42389 on: September 01, 2014, 04:09:08 pm »

Yeah, there's a general formula.

Don't forget the obligatory stop at Salamandstrom, because BADGER LORDS.
Pages: 1 ... 2824 2825 [2826] 2827 2828 ... 3345