Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2310 2311 [2312] 2313 2314 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696887 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Adult Children Edition
« Reply #34665 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:56 am »

Ugh, now not only does znc still not work, it seems my server froze up or something. I can't connect to it by ssh. And I actually wanted to do something after waiting like a month for it to be set up.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #34666 on: April 05, 2014, 06:38:23 am »

Yeah, just stuff them in a bag or something and weigh down the bag.
Wire mesh. You can weight it down easily enough, and it still lets the underwater critters in to speed disposal. Best of both worlds. Y'know. Theoretically.  <_<  >_>

Re Tumblr: Those are some pretty exasperating posts, but you gotta keep in mind that a significant part of it is backlash against a pop culture that tells you anything bigger than this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...is undesirably overweight. Which is just as stupid and dangerous to your health. A happy medium exists somewhere, but there will always be people who take it too far in the other direction as well. Given the choice, I'd much rather get mad at the institutionalized side that is doing massive damage than a few tumblr posts.

'Extreme opinions are replaced, not by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme opinions'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34667 on: April 05, 2014, 07:43:48 am »

...is undesirably overweight. Which is just as stupid and dangerous to your health. A happy medium exists somewhere, but there will always be people who take it too far in the other direction as well. Given the choice, I'd much rather get mad at the institutionalized side that is doing massive damage than a few tumblr posts.
See, I'd much rather get mad at the trending twitter posts. Because it is the actions of the individuals that is doing the gargantuan amounts of damage that it does - to themselves, without any institutionalized media or what have you telling them that being obese is sexy or something. There is no need to forget anorexia because obesity dwarfs it as a problem; but these people are willfully and mercilessly damaging themselves for no reason except the monstrous delusion and acceptance coming from twitter and tumblr. To ignore them because anorexia exists is maddening.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34668 on: April 05, 2014, 08:55:16 am »

I was just snubbed in public by a member of my dept   >:(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34669 on: April 05, 2014, 09:50:54 am »

Your avatar rather freakishly went well with that statement...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34670 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:40 am »

I wish I could gain weight.

Like, how do people even get hungry multiple times a day >.>
My sister is trying to gain weight, but for some reason can't, despite what she's been eating. Me, on the other hand, is pushing close to 300lbs, despite a job involving manual labor, plus around 15+ total miles of bicycling on weekends.

I mean you're basically telling me that a dead body is capable of floating more weight than an inflatable raft.
Well, I know that if I'm stuck on an island with a bunch of other people, I know now what I'm making the escape raft out of.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34671 on: April 05, 2014, 11:40:04 am »

I mean you're basically telling me that a dead body is capable of floating more weight than an inflatable raft.
Well, I know that if I'm stuck on an island with a bunch of other people, I know now what I'm making the escape raft out of.
What was that joke about the old "you're stuck on an island, choose 3 things, no vehicles" situation? Michael Phelps, a saddle, and a gold medal tied to a stick?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34672 on: April 05, 2014, 11:43:13 am »

So you need to put several hundred pounds of weights on a typical body to make sure it stays down?

That seems excessive, I could see one or two hundred pounds of weight, but I find it hard to believe a human body is capable of producing that much buoyancy. I mean you're basically telling me that a dead body is capable of floating more weight than an inflatable raft.
It is excessive, and it pretty much is...too much. :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34673 on: April 05, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »

I'm kind of weird in my weight.

I think I'm only overweight because I have a sedentary life-style, and when I was younger I tried to gain some weight and went overboard. (I was like, 80 lbs at the most when I was 11 or something)

However, I don't think I LOOK 250 lbs, and I'm pretty sure that it's because either my fat is dense or I have more muscle than fat underneath. I think the former, because while I'm strong, I'm not strong enough to account for the weight. I sink like a stone in water, so my fat isn't all that buoyant.

Also, when I actually work out? My weight slides off like nothing else, I lost 80 lbs in a year (from 330) while it took me around 8 years to actually work up to 330 lbs in the first place.

So when the weather clears up I'll HOPEFULLY be biking a lot more and lose another 30 or so pounds over the summer~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #34674 on: April 05, 2014, 01:06:17 pm »

I'm at 175 +/- 5 pounds at 6'1'', unless I lost somehow lost a ton this week because lolgastritis.

So, I'm on the fatter side of non-overweight. Somehow, even though my only exercise is walking (although I walk fast. Still wouldn't mind losing a bit.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34675 on: April 05, 2014, 01:11:24 pm »

Re Tumblr: Those are some pretty exasperating posts, but you gotta keep in mind that a significant part of it is backlash against a pop culture that tells you anything bigger than this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thing is though, I'm reasonably certain that culture doesn't actually exist apart from in the imaginations of various executives and marketing departments.
Nah, it's there. The health and beauty industry runs on it. Entertainment industry too, to an extent. Hell, marketing in general. Unrealistic standards are almost omnipresent these days: any given advertising model will be photoshopped to oblivion and back, any given actor thickly makeupped and carefully framed. It's not necessary that people believe any given image completely, or even take it very seriously, so long as they're completely deluged with it. Those images start to become normal, and willingly or no, some part of that is internalized. Uncertainty, doubt & co. start to wiggle in through the cracks, and the companies that propagate said image for advertising purposes descend to feed.
I'm glad we don't have that mindset here.
Still makes me go :| when I see it...and hear stories of people being hurt by it.
Ughh.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #34676 on: April 05, 2014, 02:15:47 pm »

I'm kind of weird in my weight.

I think I'm only overweight because I have a sedentary life-style, and when I was younger I tried to gain some weight and went overboard. (I was like, 80 lbs at the most when I was 11 or something)

However, I don't think I LOOK 250 lbs, and I'm pretty sure that it's because either my fat is dense or I have more muscle than fat underneath. I think the former, because while I'm strong, I'm not strong enough to account for the weight. I sink like a stone in water, so my fat isn't all that buoyant.

Also, when I actually work out? My weight slides off like nothing else, I lost 80 lbs in a year (from 330) while it took me around 8 years to actually work up to 330 lbs in the first place.

So when the weather clears up I'll HOPEFULLY be biking a lot more and lose another 30 or so pounds over the summer~

I'm kinda the same way. I don't think I look like I'm ~129 kilos (about 285 lbs), and I'm not terribly buoyant. But I'm in a position opposite you on the work out front: I actually gained weight, and not just muscle weight, when I did martial arts for several years, which was several nights of heavy working out a week.

Though I have to say: While it wasn't really the focus (that was Tae Kwon Do), but Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu sparring is probably more fun the heavier you are, for both parties involved, a smaller one getting to use techniques effective against a larger one, the larger one just plain getting to grapple with a smaller one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:22:23 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34677 on: April 05, 2014, 02:22:32 pm »

I don't even know what weight I am, nor do I really care. I stay pretty much he same no matter what I do, anyway. I started off as a rather chubby child, but growing got rid of that and now I'm told I'm thin.

In other words, I'm fine until my metabolism stops, then I'm screwed.  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34678 on: April 05, 2014, 03:42:02 pm »

I am thin as fuck and almost 1m90 or so. You can see my ribs, even if I don't pull in my belly or anything. Hardly any muscle, though :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34679 on: April 05, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »

Pretty much the same - just short of 80kg at just short of two meters. I gained like 10kg on antidepressants, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 2310 2311 [2312] 2313 2314 ... 3345