Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2081 2082 [2083] 2084 2085 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699404 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: At The Speed Of RAGE Edition
« Reply #31230 on: January 08, 2014, 06:32:52 pm »

If you think Bauglir at any point was defending the parent or her actions then you simply haven't understood a single word he was saying.
And if you think Leo at any point said that Bauglir is doing the defending, then you haven't understood a single word he said. Have at thee.

There's no one else discussing the topic with him. There's nothing else "going on here".
I believe it was meant in a conspiracy-theorish sort of sense - how society in general drops on people like a ton of bricks for coughing too loud, but everything kids do is somehow a-ok. But I'm [excuse]not a native English speaker[/excuse], so I might have understood something incorrectly.
Ah, screw this. I'll just be generally sorry and forget this whole discussion ever happened.

On an unrelated note,

This is a real thing. http://parentscountry.com/youngest-mother-britain-11-years-old/#

The girl started smoking at nine and started drinking cocktails at ten. Nowadays, she smokes 20 cigarettes a day, claiming this habit is not harming her baby.
Her mother is proud of her

A 12-year-old got drunk, had sex, got pregnant, and continues to smoke a drink huge amounts while pregnant. She claims against all evidence this will not harm her baby. Her mother is proud of her.
OH GOD THIS MAKES ME RAGE SO HARD WHY IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31231 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:18 pm »

Fucking elves! I'm having such a hard time coming up with a valid facet of human nature to assign to you, having already assigned creativity to dwarves. You assholes are always either Humans But Better, or an vague mishmash of Nature-Loving Arcane Superwizards, and neither of those actually conveys a damn thing about your fundamental perspective. For comparison, humans themselves got existence*, dwarves got creation, and orcs got competition.

While these are all very subtle, not-individually-binding trends, with barely any rules baggage to go with them, I still need them to be there or else there really is no point in having the bastards at all.

EDIT: I'm going with curiosity but that feels like a hell of a stretch.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:46:26 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31232 on: January 08, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »

Persistance/ inertia?
The ideal of having everything continuing that way forever. That change is something to be feared.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31233 on: January 08, 2014, 06:53:10 pm »

Elves are hubris.

Because of their long lives, their natural great looks, and powerful magic they are an overly proud race who considers themselves superior.

Though if you want a positive trait... Go with Grace.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:54:55 pm by Neonivek »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31234 on: January 08, 2014, 06:54:44 pm »

Elves are hubris.
"We're graceful and old as shit."  Yeah, I can dig the hubris.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31235 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:22 pm »

Much as I hate elves, it does have to be something that can be spun in a positive light as easily as negative. So I'll consider pride or tradition. Thank you!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31236 on: January 08, 2014, 07:20:31 pm »

Could also grep your notes from Darksun and make them "survival". Then you've got an excuse for cannibal elves all up in!

Then again, you could do that for halflings instead and have cannibal halflings, which are always more amusing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31237 on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:59 pm »

I like the Tolkienish view of Elves that the guy who wrote Balrogs and Bagginses used:

Elves are flighty and vain, willing to squander years on a fancy.

They're foolish, only gaining wisdom from excessive years of experience - which humans can do relatively faster because they don't suffer from the natural Elvish foolishness.

But they're graceful, smooth of movement and limb, but also suave and attractive. Superficially attractive, of course, much like a supermodel who knows how to look great and walk great but reveals that he's a dumbass as soon as he starts talking.

Naturally skilled with magic. Dwarves get this to a lesser extent and more toward creativity than temporary and fanciful magic of the Elves. Dwarves live shorter lives but are dedicated and toil which makes up for it. Elves start with more but do far less with it, compared to everyone else.

Among all these faults and damnation by faint praise, Elves are patient. Much like the Time Vulture, an Elf is less likely to act because he knows the perfect opportunity will come. A Human or Dwarf would build a boat or weir to catch fish in a river. An Elf would relax on the bank, dip his hook and line into the flow, and wait until a fish arrives.

This patience gives them the illusion of wisdom if they don't act too rashly. It's not that the Elf knows the right thing to do, he just waits until he's figured it out and/or the issue is moot.

NINJA EDIT: Cannibal everything! Nobody eats somebody who couldn't be their cousin!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31238 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »

How about savagery? Elves that possess great agility and strength as well as an intuitive grasp on magic, but act only as they see fit - ruthlessly, brutally, consequential. Gives them a Determinator/Unfettered spin.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31239 on: January 08, 2014, 07:42:14 pm »

I don't know if this will help you, but the really old lore surrounding Elves held that they were deeply foolish beings with a warped sense of fair play, the most common myth being that they would kidnap human children and replace them with elven children, who were horribly mentally and physically deformed (this being the explanation for genetic disorders).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31240 on: January 08, 2014, 08:11:09 pm »

How about savagery? Elves that possess great agility and strength as well as an intuitive grasp on magic, but act only as they see fit - ruthlessly, brutally, consequential. Gives them a Determinator/Unfettered spin.
Ah, Feanor...
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31241 on: January 08, 2014, 08:14:25 pm »

Is that a general reversal / leech thing? Like, if you're happy they become sad, and if you're hungry they're satiated?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31242 on: January 08, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »

The girl started smoking at nine and started drinking cocktails at ten. Nowadays, she smokes 20 cigarettes a day, claiming this habit is not harming her baby.
Her mother is proud of her

A 12-year-old got drunk, had sex, got pregnant, and continues to smoke a drink huge amounts while pregnant. She claims against all evidence this will not harm her baby. Her mother is proud of her.
Mother of God, is that her in the picture? She looks like she's 40 or something... but then again, that's no surprise, what with all the toxins she puts in herself.

One, WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE THEY LETTING HER KEEP THAT BABY?

Two, why do social workers not do anything about the fact that her mother is letting a 12 year old drink and smoke and get pregnant all simultaneously?

I don't wanna live on Earth anymore.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31243 on: January 08, 2014, 09:19:57 pm »

Don't think so, Iron. According to the article the kid's not born, yet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31244 on: January 08, 2014, 09:22:57 pm »

One, WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE THEY LETTING HER KEEP THAT BABY?

Because she still gets to control her reproductive system.

Also, I'm just gonna come out and say it: sex ed in middle school when average menarche comes at 9 is ridiculous.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 2081 2082 [2083] 2084 2085 ... 3345