Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699388 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: At The Speed Of RAGE Edition
« Reply #31215 on: January 08, 2014, 05:03:04 pm »

Ah. So, your point is, we're basically holding a private little verbal lynching here and that is not the best side of the human social structure. I totally agree. However, I would like to point out that I generally try not to think in terms of "How shitty those people are", more like "I'm sick of those people fucking up on me and acting like it's something I owe them". It may be hard to notice from the outside, but it makes a difference to me. Then again, maybe I should act more like it. Your point is valid, so let's kiss and make up shake hands.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31216 on: January 08, 2014, 05:05:52 pm »

Oh, yeah, that's a totally valid difference to hold on to. You don't owe them anything more than the basic respect you owe any other random person you know nothing about (to whatever extent you believe you owe random people you know nothing about respect, that is), and they shouldn't expect it of you. Handshake accepted!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31217 on: January 08, 2014, 05:08:15 pm »

Ah. So, your point is, we're basically holding a private little verbal lynching here and that is not the best side of the human social structure. I totally agree. However, I would like to point out that I generally try not to think in terms of "How shitty those people are", more like "I'm sick of those people fucking up on me and acting like it's something I owe them". It may be hard to notice from the outside, but it makes a difference to me. Then again, maybe I should act more like it. Your point is valid, so let's kiss and make up shake hands.

Pretty much this.  The only thing I'd like to add though, is that if the thoughts are never said, nothing ever happens and everything keeps happening as it has.  So maybe one day, along the way, someone will maybe remember that these blocks of text happened and thinks to pay more attention to their kids or something.

I'd like to point out my post was about the parents in those situations. I'm not saying all parents are like that.

And not all parents are, just a rather large portion of our society today who still believe that taking care of kids isn't a full-time job that doesn't pay and overtime is more than a distinct possibility.

Also:
And now Bogleech is posting long rants about how "ALL GAMERS ARE MYSOGINISTS HERP DERP".
Just when I thought he couldn't get any stupider, he somehow managed to get even worse.
What in the ever-living fuck that rustles my jimmies.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31218 on: January 08, 2014, 05:35:49 pm »

I just want to put this out there: internally I'm actually kind of a selfish jerk, a self-righteous dick. But despite thinking jerky, dickish things I don't go around saying them. I spend all day being a decent human being to people, so a little ragewankery is a nice change of pace.

And I firmly believe we need to hate shitty things that people do and not who they are. In this case it's a difficult thing to separate because a parent doesn't stop being a parent, which means parenting is both a thing they do and a thing they are. Part of parents' defensiveness may stem from parenthood being as much an identity as an activity; any complaint about the parenting is seen as a personal attack instead of a comment on a shitty thing that was just done.

You'll see this when a parent, for example, screams in her kid's face or yanks on his arms to get him to come along. Any comment on that elicits a response of "Don't tell me how to raise my kids" which is a miscommunication. I'm not telling you how to raise your kids. I'm just saying that one thing you just did was horrible.

Similarly, when you're a boss, you'll cause morale to plummet if your criticism is "Why don't you do your job right" vs. "Why did you do X thing in this way".

--

As for calling it a verbal lynching, and bringing in other racism-related language, that's a bit off track. Again, I'm not talking about parents in general, or technically even bad parents, but bad parenting. But let's go with it: let's say I'm verbally flogging humans in general for doing a shitty thing. I'm ok with that.

Again, we're in a tiny corner of the Internet that's hardly compulsory to visit, and I'm not calling out specific people. I'm complaining about antisocial behavior in a flagrantly antisocial way, partly because I rarely ever do it and partly because sometimes you just gotta say Fuck to get your point across.

Let's say I were complaining about something else that's anti-social behavior, like adults taking advantage of elderly folks who can't resist - psychologically, manipulatively, but not illegally. I doubt there would be anyone standing up in defense of the douchebag bleeding his granny's savings dry or telemarketers getting her to enter tons of worthless sweepstakes. There's a defense of parents going on here for some other reason.

--

I'm sure criticism could be leveled against my rant. And it's probably deserving of some. And I'm ok with that too.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31219 on: January 08, 2014, 05:50:43 pm »

I'll sing in with a yes again, but I have I minor point. In my vocabulary, "verbal lynching" is the term I use for discussing someone's shittiness behind their back. As I am not a native English speaker, the racism connotation is less vivid for me. It is just that I have always feel like a coward when I discuss somebody doing crap instead of walking up to them and saying "Hey, you suck". Of course, it's not relevant in this case. I merely feel like I should be somehow more active in the matter instead of all this agreeing with each other.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31220 on: January 08, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »

Hey that's a good point. I didn't feel like this was gossiping as much as, maybe, me shouting into an elevator shaft or quarry.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31221 on: January 08, 2014, 05:56:35 pm »

Guys, guys. The proper action here is a passive aggressive rant on facebook. That solves your problems constantly. Even better, if someone asks who you'tre talking about, tell them it's none of thier business.

Bonus points for lambasting someone for not saying things to their face while doing the same.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31222 on: January 08, 2014, 05:58:23 pm »

Hey that's a good point. I didn't feel like this was gossiping as much as, maybe, me shouting into an elevator shaft or quarry.
Ah. But here I dug myself into a pit: see, when you are shouting down an elevator shaft in solitude, that's okay. But when I'm standing behind your shoulder and yelling "Yes!" and "Damn right!" after your every phrase, it's gossiping. Guess I'm slightly cancerous.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31223 on: January 08, 2014, 06:11:37 pm »

Let's say I were complaining about something else that's anti-social behavior, like adults taking advantage of elderly folks who can't resist - psychologically, manipulatively, but not illegally. I doubt there would be anyone standing up in defense of the douchebag bleeding his granny's savings dry or telemarketers getting her to enter tons of worthless sweepstakes. There's a defense of parents going on here for some other reason.

If you think Bauglir at any point was defending the parent or her actions then you simply haven't understood a single word he was saying.
Love, scriver~

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31224 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:11 pm »

If you think Bauglir at any point was defending the parent or her actions then you simply haven't understood a single word he was saying.
And if you think Leo at any point said that Bauglir is doing the defending, then you haven't understood a single word he said. Have at thee.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31225 on: January 08, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »

You're right!

But how can we avert this without perverting the purpose of the Rage Thread?

Someone needs to get angry about something else GOGOGO
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #31226 on: January 08, 2014, 06:25:49 pm »

I has FUREH (mild irritation) over how my procrastination and lack of time has caused a marked lack of raw files. Go.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31227 on: January 08, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »

And if you think Leo at any point said that Bauglir is doing the defending, then you haven't understood a single word he said. Have at thee.

There's no one else discussing the topic with him. There's nothing else "going on here".
Love, scriver~

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31228 on: January 08, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »

Oh I probably did misinterpret a bunch of people along the way. I make mistakes constantly, it's amazing I'm still alive.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31229 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:26 pm »

You're right!

But how can we avert this without perverting the purpose of the Rage Thread?

Someone needs to get angry about something else GOGOGO

This is a real thing. http://parentscountry.com/youngest-mother-britain-11-years-old/#

The girl started smoking at nine and started drinking cocktails at ten. Nowadays, she smokes 20 cigarettes a day, claiming this habit is not harming her baby.
Her mother is proud of her

A 12-year-old got drunk, had sex, got pregnant, and continues to smoke a drink huge amounts while pregnant. She claims against all evidence this will not harm her baby. Her mother is proud of her.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 ... 3345