Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2039 2040 [2041] 2042 2043 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691257 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: You Can Unlock It Edition
« Reply #30600 on: December 19, 2013, 04:42:07 pm »

I just spent hours over a physics problem, finally got a result, and wondered why that result is so low. Turns out I forgot to consider gravity. >:C

I am more than willing to offer assistance with any physics problems at any time.... ;)
Someone is offering assistance to me? Thanks but no thanks, I'm fluent in maths (and by extension any physics whose fundamental equations I'm familiar with). The only reason it took so long is because I kept drifting off through the Internet.  :P

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #30601 on: December 19, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »

[xmas card]

This is an open letter to everyone in Washington State.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So consider, please, this wonderful holiday season, that in maximizing my love for you, you are contributing to peace and goodwill which is after all what Christmas is all about.

[/xmas card]

I'm going to choose to take this personally.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30602 on: December 19, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

[xmas card]
-snip-
[/xmas card]
A supervillain in the making this one doth detect. If there was a way to sig all of this, I would, but since I can't...

You might wonder why I am so much more important than you. Of course I am more important to me than you are to me; I don't give two shits about you. That's the heart of this matter: the issue here is what you all do for me, not the other way around.
Sig'd.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30603 on: December 19, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »

Please accept my apologies if you were actually serious; still, few people can rant about trivialities in such a dramatically hammy manner.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30604 on: December 19, 2013, 05:17:53 pm »

If you're not angry at the guy who randomly cuts across three lanes of traffic because they weren't thinking ahead, you're part of the problem.

Angry people on the road seem to be way more of a problem than any of the other people you listed. Only "intoxicated" seems to have worse results.

So yea, if you're getting angry on the road, gonna second that it you are probably part of the problem. The guy you are getting mad at might also be part of the problem, but that doesn't forgive you actively contributing to it.

In what we is people NOT getting angry part of the problem, anyway? I honestly can't even follow the logic. Do you actually believe that your anger somehow does... something to alleviate the issue... somehow?

My anger motivates me to get away from the source of my anger. I do that through speed, control and focus.

So yes, in my view, my anger does help me alleviate the problem. I don't swerve at people, chase them down or shout at them. I find my spot, slice through it like a laser and put their stupidity behind me in my rear view mirror.

See, what I hate is the assumption that if you're angry behind the wheel, you must be doing the typical road rage thing and endangering everyone around you like a psychopath. That's not how I am. I'm one of the most respectful drivers out there and I hate road rage antics just as much as the next person. I don't cut people off. I don't pull out in front of people because I have a 1.5 second window in which to do so. I don't randomly spike my brakes in rage or shock. I pay attention. And it's the fact I pay attention while driving that reveals so many shitty driving habits to me. People on their phones. People drifting in and out of their lane. People driving 5 miles under the speed limit so they can maintain an 8 car length gap between them and the next person in the middle of rush hour traffic. People dangerously cutting through traffic because they were too impatient to wait for a safe opportunity, or because they didn't plan ahead and drifted in a turn only lane until the very last second before doing something stupid.

If the rest of the world drove according to the basic standards of the road and kept their minds focused on driving, I would rage about 50% less and what I did rage over would probably be inconsequential and my own fault. When people drive the speed limit, are courteous of other people and mind the rules of the road, I'm copacetic. But that rarely happens. People are in their own la-dee-da-fucking world while driving as though they're not sharing the road with 100 other people who all want to get home.

About the only people I'm not courteous to are those that believe anyone who speeds is endangering the life of every child everywhere for all time. Those people can go jump in the Lake of Fire.

And you want to know what's funny? I just watched a 60+ year old man get t-boned in an intersection right in front of me today while at lunch. Just because you're driving the speed limit doesn't make you a safe driver.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:33:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #30605 on: December 19, 2013, 05:19:54 pm »

Terry Goodkind.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30606 on: December 19, 2013, 05:24:32 pm »

I just spent hours over a physics problem, finally got a result, and wondered why that result is so low. Turns out I forgot to consider gravity. >:C

I am more than willing to offer assistance with any physics problems at any time.... ;)
Is that like, a scientists pick-up line?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30607 on: December 19, 2013, 05:33:01 pm »

Re: driving.

Also it's not just that someone who cuts in front of you is in your way or taking an opportunity you had mentally claimed for yourself. They're endangering you and your car. High-speed collisions are dangerous! I could be struck by some terrible driver, and not only go through a huge amount of surgery and physical therapy, lose my job and/or ability to work, lose the ability to enjoy things I do now, lose basic human faculties like walking and not shitting myself. Even if I'm miraculously uninjured I'm out a car which I need to work.

The person cutting in front of me is making the choice to add risk to his life and mine. He didn't ask me whether I wanted to add that risk. Especially since the additional risk comes with an immediate benefit to him and an immediate detriment to me (both relatively minor, traffic position) I would refuse.

I let people in front of me all the time. I don't accelerate/decelerate outside what's typical for that flow of traffic. I don't typically drive faster than the flow of traffic. I don't listen to music, make waffles, apply makeup, eat a burger, scold a child in the back seat, or hold down a rambunctious giant dog. I drive carefully and have never been in a vehicular accident of any kind. I'm a totally fine driver. Which is why I'm pretty sure when I eventually do get into a collision it's gonna be because some bastard was more interested in getting his drink on and hitting on milfs at Applebee's ASAP than he was interested in my safety.

Please accept my apologies if you were actually serious; still, few people can rant about trivialities in such a dramatically hammy manner.
I was serious, but also realize it's horrible and kinda funny and I like that you're joining in and making fun of me :P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #30608 on: December 19, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »

I'm so glad I live in a place where you can get around perfectly fine without a car. It just sounds like such hassle.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30609 on: December 19, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »

It's an amazing experience when the rest of drivers aren't fucking it up for you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #30610 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:27 pm »

[xmas card]

This is an open letter to everyone in Washington State.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So consider, please, this wonderful holiday season, that in maximizing my love for you, you are contributing to peace and goodwill which is after all what Christmas is all about.

[/xmas card]

I'm going to choose to take this personally.

I'm reserving judgement until I figure out which part of the state is meant.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30611 on: December 19, 2013, 06:52:18 pm »

I live in Western WA. Haven't driven much on the east side of the mountains. I suspect that the road infrastructure is better in the more-developed west but there are far more drivers on the road. I also suspect the distribution of bad and good drivers throughout the state is relatively equal when averaged by population.

This report on 2011 data shows on page 14 that the Washington counties have typically around 1.3 to 1.7 collisions per million vehicle miles (MVM). King County is predictably more horrible at about 2 collisions per MVM. No idea why Snohomish County to the north is so bad. Eastern WA is better in the less-populated counties but Spokane County is the same as Pierce in the west. Collision rates seem linked to population. That suggests our road technology is not very good at compensating for heavy use.

Page 6 shows that at least it's not as bad as it could be in WA; we have 0.8 fatalities per 100 MVM vs. 1.11 for the national average. Pity the poor souls in Montana and Wyoming at double the fatality rate of Washington.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #30612 on: December 19, 2013, 07:01:04 pm »

I'm reminded that Toady lives in Washington. You speak blasphemes!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30613 on: December 19, 2013, 07:07:02 pm »

Maybe he's a good driver. Even I'm not cynical enough to believe everyone sucks.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #30614 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »

Telemarketers, especially those that prey on the elderly and the fearful, can go die in a goddamn fire.

Why is it is seems like only the scummiest of bullshit is regulated to cold and automated calls these days, anyway? Is it just that I didn't deal with it enough when I was younger, and don't remember how scuzzy it was then, as well?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2039 2040 [2041] 2042 2043 ... 3345