Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691419 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: In A World.....Edition
« Reply #28155 on: October 09, 2013, 10:42:29 am »

Because the "correct" answer is C.
The question asks "which of the following". It doesn't specify that there is only one correct option, or even that any of the options are correct.
I don't think you understand how multiple choice questions work.
Multiple choice questions don't always have a single correct choice. Sometimes it's more than one and sometimes it's none of them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28156 on: October 09, 2013, 10:49:07 am »

Multiple choice questions don't always have a single correct choice. Sometimes it's more than one and sometimes it's none of them.
Multiple choice questions have a single correct answer. Hence the frequency of (d) All of the Above.

The format with multiple correct answers possible uses squares instead of circles and is called something else I forget the name of. Almost every instance of something being called "multiple choice" is limited to a single correct answer.

And in this instance:
Why not just answer that they don't hold those views then? The question allows you to.
Because then you will get the question marked wrong and lose points off your grade, obviously. This is not a teacher looking for debate and argument, this is a teacher that expects you to absorb his opinions and then regurgitate them back at him. It's been made quite clear that if a student refuses to pick the one correct factual choice he has no problems simply marking it wrong, from earlier descriptions of him, and it is quite obvious here which answer he sees as the one correct factual choice.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:53:16 am by GlyphGryph »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28157 on: October 09, 2013, 11:15:35 am »

Guys, chill. This is not that bad. About four years ago, back when I had the local equivalent of Religious Studies, mandatory for all students, one day we got an assignment phrased, wait for it, 'Why do you think God exists'.

That said, the class is absolutely overtly connected to Catholic Church and in some schools priests double as teachers in these classes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28158 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:06 am »

@Glyph
Wikipedia and the ETS/GRE (Which from what I understand are testing bodies in the US) disagree with you on the first, but I will concede on the second. My reaction to things like this is generally more confrontational than is a good idea.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:20:12 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28159 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

As someone also from the US I am backing glyph up on this, unless it is explicitly stated that there are multiple answers possible, then the default is that there is only one answer, and you are supposed to pick the best one.
So even if you disagree with all of them, you are still supposed to pick the 'most correct' one.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28160 on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:38 am »

Wikipedia agrees with Glyph, for whatever that's worth.

Multiple choice is a form of assessment in which respondents are asked to select the best possible answer (or answers) out of the choices from a list... This contrasts with multiple response items in which more than one answer may be keyed as correct... However, tests may also award partial credit for unanswered questions or penalize students for incorrect answers, to discourage guessing.

ETS is a better source and doesn't, though. My experience is that ETS's choice is an uncommon usage, so hooray for anecdotes, and even so, with no "none of the above" option, it would be graded as a failure to answer the question rather than a correct answer.

Bay12: Maximum Pedantry
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28161 on: October 09, 2013, 11:40:55 am »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28162 on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:40 am »

Multiple choice is a form of assessment in which respondents are asked to select the best possible answer (or answers) out of the choices from a list... This contrasts with multiple response items in which more than one answer may be keyed as correct... However, tests may also award partial credit for unanswered questions or penalize students for incorrect answers, to discourage guessing.
Bolded for emphasis.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28163 on: October 09, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

Bolded for emphasis.
Bolded and made bigger for more emphasis.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28164 on: October 09, 2013, 12:31:59 pm »

Hopy shit, Wikipedia is inconsistent and I didn't even notice when I quoted! Who among us could have foreseen this turn of events. Still, the objection to this particular scenario remains. There's no way to distinguish between a response of "None of these is correct" and "Shitshitshitshit, why did I sleep through lecture".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28165 on: October 09, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »

Fraternity scumbaggery? Fraternity scumbaggery.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28166 on: October 09, 2013, 12:52:31 pm »

Apart from the closing line (which is rather creepy) it just looks like levering social status a peer pressure to get guys to imbibe alcohol and have sex.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28167 on: October 09, 2013, 01:10:03 pm »

Apart from the closing line (which is rather creepy) it just looks like levering social status a peer pressure to get guys to imbibe alcohol and have sex.

Yeah, at first when I started reading I figured it was gonna be something actually bad.  But as usual, the media made it out to be something it's not.  The guy just chose a stupid closing line to be funny, and in fact tells them NOT to rape... in classy all caps style.  The media is just screwing this guy over while using the current anti-rape-joke trend to cash in.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28168 on: October 09, 2013, 01:17:53 pm »

It's still bad regardless of that. At best it's a guide to getting one night stands, which is pretty horrible.

It's perfectly fine for someone to just want sex... provided they're up front about that. That email is about using alcohol and smalltalk to lure women.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:19:28 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 3345