Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1832 1833 [1834] 1835 1836 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692232 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: "And now say I RAEG" Edition
« Reply #27495 on: September 17, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

Seriously. When I turned 18 I promised myself that my time of accepting bullshit from people because they were family and tolerating toxic influences in my life was over. More then one person actually got their shit straightened out when they realized I was serious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: "And now say I RAEG" Edition
« Reply #27496 on: September 17, 2013, 03:55:16 pm »

I think it's okay to give people as many chances as it takes for you to realize you cannot help or change them.

Soli's pretty generous in that regard.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27497 on: September 17, 2013, 04:00:31 pm »

Enabling bad behaviour is not helping people. It is the opposite of helping people.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #27498 on: September 17, 2013, 04:02:16 pm »

. . .I'm unsure if this may seem wrong to you, but I'm really crying her at all of this.

My opinion; she has a really bad past-and had no way of trying to alleviate it but to return what she had received. The lack of knowledge on that subject (I'm thinking of a lot of...stuff which could've led her to act like that) would also be the point there.

The
"Oh, and you don't have anyone you should be thankful for?"
part came off to me as a cry for help on her side-she just needs to be pointed out what's wrong with her, is what I could say (from..it being not mentioned in context I think?). Maybe that she doesn't realize the consequences and..has a narrow outlook is her case. A biased outlook, at least.

Regardless..*hugs Soli*

You're an awesome dude.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27499 on: September 17, 2013, 04:02:19 pm »

@glyph Obviously. I mean "helping" in terms of guiding people along the right path and out of whatever toxicity they surround themselves with. If you realize the only way to do that is cut them out of your life, that's an acceptable solution.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27500 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:01 pm »

Today's rage: people who leap up as soon as a plane lands, barreling past everyone. Hey, fuckwad, not only is it completely rude, you're saving 1 minute tops.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27501 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:33 pm »

I'd like to note I didn't really mean "cutting them out of your life" - but I think it's important to deal with such people, especially if they are family, on your terms - not theirs.

The thing is, this even happens to people in my own family. I don't get it. My dad was lung shanked by his brother, and let his brother stay in house while he was in hospital for it!

It's just like - urgh.

Maybe other people are just nicer than I am.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27502 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:18 pm »

. . .I'm unsure if this may seem wrong to you, but I'm really crying her at all of this.

My opinion; she has a really bad past-and had no way of trying to alleviate it but to return what she had received. The lack of knowledge on that subject (I'm thinking of a lot of...stuff which could've led her to act like that) would also be the point there.

The "Oh, and you don't have anyone you should be thankful for?" part came off to me as a cry for help on her side-she just needs to be pointed out what's wrong with her, is what I could say (from..it being not mentioned in context I think?). Maybe that she doesn't realize the consequences and..has a narrow outlook is her case. A biased outlook, at least
She had it rough because she wasn't ready for the responsibility of kids, and her first husband walked out on our family when we were very young. She worked 3 jobs for some 10 years to support us. Then she got married to my Step-Dad, and stopped doing anything at all with her life but sitting, drinking, and entertaining herself with books and TV. She wants other people to fix her problems for her. She tries to entice that out of people all the time by playing up her troubles, and making them feel sorry for her. And though I care about her, I can't help her. And my efforts to try to guide her toward self improvement are met with anything ranging from the usual spiteful backlash to actual physical violence. I spent 2 decades trying to help her. It nearly destroyed me, and she's still not done anything to improve her life. I can't keep killing myself for someone who doesn't care about herself, or those that care about her, enough to fix her shit. It's the sad reality of this situation.

Enabling bad behaviour is not helping people. It is the opposite of helping people.
I know I can't help her; fixing her life is her responsibility, and no one else can change that. I can't keep giving her my time and energy, only for her to throw it in the trash like she's always done. However, I like my Step-Dad a lot; he is a very disciplined, giving, and enlightened guy, who has done more to help me than most of the adults I grew up with. Maintaining a relationship with him requires maintaining my relationship with my Mum as well... and sometimes that means taking the brunt of her ungrateful, pity-party, 50-Year-Old Teenager bullshit, so he doesn't have to. I doubt she'll ever change; these days, it seems like she's just killing time until she dies, there is so little going on in her life, and she has so few aspirations. When that happens I'll certainly be sad... what a waste of energy, time, and life. But, as much as I hate to say it, I think I'll also feel relieved.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27503 on: September 17, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »

By all means maintain your relationship with your step-dad as best you can, but if he's a decent person (and it really sounds like he is) I very much doubt "be a punching bag for an abusive leech" is a requirement to do so.

You don't have to cut off contact completely or refuse to communicate with her or be around her, but you need to make it clear that you aren't going to put up with the way she's acting in a calm and forceful way. Maintain a relationship, but make sure it is you setting the terms for it. If anything, it will probably be better for her if you do - it sounds like she's had a lot of help getting to where she is by enablers who have been too nice to tell her no and set rules and boundaries.

If she wants to act like a teenager, treat her like one. Be the adult - at that means disengaging if she steps out of line and cutting off bad behaviour as soon as it starts.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:33:10 pm by GlyphGryph »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27504 on: September 17, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »

By all means maintain your relationship with your step-dad as best you can, but if he's a decent person (and it really sounds like he is) I very much doubt "be a punching bag for an abusive leech" is a requirement to do so.

You don't have to cut off contact completely or refuse to communicate with her or be around her, but you need to make it clear that you aren't going to put up with the way she's acting in a calm and forceful way. Maintain a relationship, but make sure it is you setting the terms for it. If anything, it will probably be better for her if you do - it sounds like she's had a lot of help getting to where she is by enablers who have been too nice to tell her no and set rules and boundaries.

If she wants to act like a teenager, treat her like one. Be the adult - at that means disengaging if she steps out of line and cutting off bad behaviour as soon as it starts.
^
I think the hard part would be in showing her her faults, and then explaining why they're so destructive--ask her to listen to you before you state the ultimate part: that you know what's wrong, and will state what's wrong, and that it would be nice if she listened to it rather than targeting the effects of that.

Being nice is nice and all, but without the discipline-ish part, it may fall down to misunderstanding as someone being...'soft'(?). I'm unsure of the word..but that's my best guess.

If preferable, get someone else to aid you in the matter and the both of you would talk to her about it. It's more assuring to have another word by your side, as I guess in that case.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27505 on: September 17, 2013, 04:41:36 pm »

"ultimate part"? "showing faults"? "get someone to aid you"? "talk to her about it"?

None of these are really relevant to what I suggested and many are in fact opposed to it. It's unlikely to work anyway - you do not engage with bad behaviour if you want good results.

You set clear, simple rules with clear straightforward consequences you can follow, and you don't "talk about it" - you communicate it by stating what you are doing and why and then doing it. There is no conversation. You do not get into a conversation about this sort of thing with the sort of person described here - down that road lies frustration and madness.

Otherwise you WILL (not might, will) give the impression that you are open to negotiation, and at that point you've given up control of the situation and ruined any chance of a positive outcome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27506 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:24 pm »

That's...basically what I was trying to convey. Setting a hard line in communication. I think I'm too broad with my words back there.

Taking control of the conversation was what I was trying to say.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27507 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »

Yeah, don't disagree with what you're saying there, but... you're right. A lot of people here are a lot nicer and more accommodating than you/your way of solving people problems.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27508 on: September 17, 2013, 04:53:27 pm »

I know that, and I do set boundaries with her. Of course, if she shows up at my house unannounced, and gets my housemates to let her in, that doesn't really respect those boundaries, or let me meet with her on my own terms, does it? That would be why I am willing to kick her out of my house, or hang up on her. I can care about her, while also finding dealing with her to be toxic, painful, exhausting, and unpleasant. Love and resentment are not mutually exclusive.

I think the hard part would be in showing her her faults, and then explaining why they're so destructive--ask her to listen to you before you state the ultimate part: that you know what's wrong, and will state what's wrong, and that it would be nice if she listened to it rather than targeting the effects of that.
Again, I spent 20 years doing these things. Listening to and counseling her gently. Pointing out her bullshit directly. Arguing with her. Avoiding any contact with her. Setting her up with counselors. In fact, the last night I lived with her and my Step Dad was the night I tried to get them both to seek counseling together. A gesture which I was thanked for by being grabbed by the shirt collar and thrown down onto the concrete slab, bloodying my head, and then was further threatened. I called the police to report the assault, and left with a friend of mine. Apart from the time I saw them to pack my things and move out properly, I didn't see or speak with them for several years.

I appreciate your intent here, Tiruin, but there are people whom you really just can't help. You've got to learn that your energy is better spent elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:58:08 pm by Solifuge »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27509 on: September 17, 2013, 04:56:54 pm »

Yeah, don't disagree with what you're saying there, but... you're right. A lot of people here are a lot nicer and more accommodating than you/your way of solving people problems.
It helps that I don't reply to that kind of stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 1832 1833 [1834] 1835 1836 ... 3345