Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1785 1786 [1787] 1788 1789 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691016 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Porcelain Ethics Edition
« Reply #26790 on: August 18, 2013, 02:27:28 pm »

I'm going to fucking maul the next person who makes a character based on Alan Turing and pleasantly "forgets" that he was gay.  He died for it.

Where did this happen?

If TVTropes is right, Pacific Rim.  I sent a rather lengthy note to the scriptwriter.

Wow... I have not seen Pacific Rim yet but if that is correct, and the character is actually meant to be a Turing analog, that is really shitty.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26791 on: August 18, 2013, 02:42:15 pm »

I'm going to fucking maul the next person who makes a character based on Alan Turing and pleasantly "forgets" that he was gay.  He died for it.

Where did this happen?

If TVTropes is right, Pacific Rim.  I sent a rather lengthy note to the scriptwriter.
Wait, the mathematician guy? The one with the cane?
He never expressed any interest in women from what I can tell, and the majority of his interactions are with other scientist dude, though no signs of sexuality are shown either case. You could say he's gay but was focused on the mission or somesuch?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26792 on: August 18, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »

Where did this happen?

Wait, the mathematician guy? The one with the cane?
He never expressed any interest in women from what I can tell, and the majority of his interactions are with other scientist dude, though no signs of sexuality are shown either case. You could say he's gay but was focused on the mission or somesuch?
Assuming this is the character Vector is referencing...so what? The dude never said anything about his romantic interests, at all. Romance was probably the least important thing in the film. And now the scriptwriters deserve hate mail because someone wasn't specifically revealed to be gay?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26793 on: August 18, 2013, 03:19:28 pm »

No, not at all.  It wasn't hate mail, either--I politely asked if he was actually basing the character on Turing or if that was just a TvTropes thing.

You see, in the novelization and other details, Gottlieb is the only character other than the Kaidanovskys (the Russian pilots) specifically meant to be partnered.  And the scriptwriter has stuck with this, repeatedly filling out more and more information on the wife.  They're expecting a child together blah blah blah.

It isn't that he wasn't mentioned to be gay.  It's that, more than any other speaking role (all of the rest of which are unpartnered at the time of the film), it has been affirmed over and over again that he is straight.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26794 on: August 18, 2013, 03:24:24 pm »

Ooooh you read the novelization. That explains everything.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26795 on: August 18, 2013, 03:26:10 pm »

No, I didn't.  I found out about that online and was like "wait, what?  Oh, that's the novelization, whatever."

Then I go to the scriptwriter's blog and, no, he didn't go "yeah, that's just the novelization, the movie's different" it's all "Ooh, and she's a model and like all this other stuff" and I'm all "DUDE WTF"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26796 on: August 18, 2013, 03:29:53 pm »

So a screenwriter, in basing a character off a character, isn't allowed to pick and choose what they want to use? His sexual identity was clearly important to Turing, but perhaps it wasn't the part of the character that the writer found interesting?

It just seems like you're placing overt emphasis on a fictional character's sexuality. Is being gay what made Alan Turing, what makes him worthy to be used as the basis for other characters? I know I'm breaking Godwin but...say I want to create a maniacal dictator who commits atrocities and loves their propaganda....and I decide they're a homosexual. I'd clearly be talking about Hitler as my inspiration, drawing on elements of his life and personality to tell my story. Would my choice of a different sexuality be a travesty? Is being straight what made Hitler, Hitler? Just like is being gay what made Turing who he is, a figure that you can base interesting characters off of?

If the movie was like "So and so, based off Alan Turing" in the trailers....that'd be one thing. But this clearly isn't that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26797 on: August 18, 2013, 03:33:12 pm »

Ahhh, okay. I haven't read any out-of-film sources of information (I can't even remember the names of the characters/robots/monsters without looking them up), so I was unaware of that.

But still, I'm not sure the scientist in question was based on Turing. He was in a similar field, yes, but seemed very different in most other ways. It's be a little like calling you a Turing clone; it makes no sense.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26798 on: August 18, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »

Turing is an extraordinarily important figure to the LGBT, mathematical, and computer science communities.  A figurehead, as it were, and symbol of having one's achievements adored (THE head codebreaker at Bletchley Park who helped crack ENIGMA, THE father of AI, THE father of computer science) while one's body is destroyed by the government for the sin of being gay.

When they picked Turing--if they picked Turing--they really, really, really fucked up.  It'd be like basing a male character off of Emmy Noethur or Ada Lovelace.  This is serious.

Ahhh, okay. I haven't read any out-of-film sources of information (I can't even remember the names of the characters/robots/monsters without looking them up), so I was unaware of that.

But still, I'm not sure the scientist in question was based on Turing. He was in a similar field, yes, but seemed very different in most other ways. It's be a little like calling you a Turing clone; it makes no sense.

That's why I asked about it--the TVTropes page says that he's a Turing expy, so if that's a point of view the author supports, I let him know that was where I got the information from and I'd take care of it so he didn't have some flavor of PR disaster.  I also tried to give him a way out by mentioning Joan Clarke (a woman who offered to marry Turing to protect him).  And told him that if he needed lists of very dead, very weird mathematicians who weren't LBGT figureheads he could ask me or any other pure math major.

I mean, this was really a very polite note, and at the end I didn't say "DO SOMETHING," I just said "this is very important to a lot of people, so next time you're writing a script--if you actually have made the error in question--please consider trying something else."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26799 on: August 18, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the government wanted to chemically castrate him, not kill him.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26800 on: August 18, 2013, 03:42:25 pm »

It was chemical castration or being put in jail, yeah, and he suffered a hell of a lot from the results of the former.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26801 on: August 18, 2013, 04:13:48 pm »

Whether or not Turing actually died as a result is ambiguous, however. The hormonal treatment ended a year before his death, and how exactly he ended up poisoned has never been determined. It could have been a suicide, accident, or murder.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26802 on: August 18, 2013, 04:27:54 pm »

I suppose it is ambiguous.  All the same, it's a situation to which they really should have been far more attentive--again, IF the character were based on Turing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26803 on: August 18, 2013, 06:04:21 pm »

When they picked Turing--if they picked Turing--they really, really, really fucked up.  It'd be like basing a male character off of Emmy Noethur or Ada Lovelace.  This is serious.
Well, again. Would a Swiss Gandhi or female Hitler be similarly catastrophic? What about a violent Gandhi or an uncharismatic Hitler?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26804 on: August 18, 2013, 06:06:25 pm »

Anybody who has played Civilization knows what violent Gandhi is like. The man is sick and twisted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1785 1786 [1787] 1788 1789 ... 3345