Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1435 1436 [1437] 1438 1439 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3710247 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Hey, I think that if we're gonna talk about stuff, we'd best point out stuff that really matters in life. The great injustices of the day and all.

Who the bloody hell thought that taking a beautiful acapella track and overlaying it with crappy synth was a good idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHfJuNHxbmc

WWWWHHHHY?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avCeJnw9WbQ
Be glad you haven't heard the grime or the ganja remix then.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not going to play Alice and look for either of those things, Whispers. Surprisingly enough, I do have good judgement now and then.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

It's bad enough commercials are getting more obnoxious by the day, but can't they at least have more than 4 or 5 commercials per station? Seeing the same commercial 8+ times an hour is becoming painful. Half the time, it's not even proper commercials! It's just advertizing for the other shows, where they will repeat the same 2-3 real commercials and 2-3 fake commercials over and over again.

Yeah, yeah, first world problems.
Unfortunately I must suffer these as well as a consequence of my brother watching tv.
On only one channel.
That plays about 3 different commercials.
That all have a catchy song.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I'm well aware. Thanks for the succinct summation.
Surely sibilance should see such use sparsely?
I want you guys to write a book.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wondering the point of these boards and it's left wing nature if no-one will answer me as to whether someone does something outside them, even in small ways. Many can't, but i would really like to know if the other half are hypocrites or not.

Buddy, I feel like you've got an impossible standard here--and more than that, do you follow it?  Do you really restrict yourself to the bare necessities?  Or are you just blathering about everyone else's imperfections instead of putting your head down and being attentive to your own?

I could go on and on and on about how much effort I put into living my values, but I think it'd be... wait for it... a waste of time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile

Novel, sometimes the bird flies when it is disturbed, but when approached from a different direction the chimpanzee can flounder rarely, excepting the addition of the innovation of the fisherman and all the salvation his onculous mackerel provide the surrounding environs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Wondering the point of these boards and it's left wing nature if no-one will answer me as to whether someone does something outside them, even in small ways. Many can't, but i would really like to know if the other half are hypocrites or not.

Buddy, I feel like you've got an impossible standard here--and more than that, do you follow it?
Seriously, brah, do you even lift?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Vector, that's crossing the line of the thread. Please quit. He's being general, you're being specific.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

First time in forever I go to sleep before midnight because I'm getting up at 7 AM and am having classes until 5 PM.

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE

Recently moved in  college girls next door think it's fun singing at the top of their lungs 'till about 2 AM. God damn something big and powerful hates me if it wishes so hard to murder my productivity.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vector, that's crossing the line of the thread. Please quit. He's being general, you're being specific.

I'm sorry.  You're right, that was inappropriate, and on second thought I can't even figure out why I thought that would be productive.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:35:00 pm by Ogdibus »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Ogdibus is taking this somewhat in the direction that I was planning to.

My response to Novel:    (Note:  I realize I'm not speaking for everyone hear, but I hope it's somewhat representative and helpful.)

Many of the issues we complain about on this board are cultural.  Nobody here expects the world to be made of activists.  Not even close.  What we do push for is certain standards of awareness and behavior in every day life.  While I appreciate those who do much more, the only thing I expect of anyone is that they educate themselves about the world with self-awareness and honesty and do their best not to contribute to problems while going about their lives, whatever it is they choose to do with them.  Of course, life burdens everyone with constraints and weaknesses, so there are ways in which they will fail.  When faced with a multitude of problems, we have no choice but to ignore some while attending to others.  There is only so much time and energy.

And I rarely see anyone talk about personal standards anyway.  When we do gripe on people, it's almost always for corruption or violence or bigotry, and asking that people avoid such behavior is not nearly the same as asking that everyone hit the streets as green civil rights crusaders.  The rest of our political talk is theoretical stuff.  How society should be organized.  Abstracts.  Very little to do with personal standards of behavior.

So... I think that should help explain why nobody understands what you're on about.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to pull my head out of my trousers and try again.

I used to think that people were generally bad, hypocritical, whatever, and then I came to realize that not only was I living under constraints that made it hard to be super good all the time (it's not like high school, where there's a pretty short list of things you need to do in order to be a Good Kid), but that it seems really like the wrong thing to do to run around drawing attention to yourself and shouting "Hey, look at me, I'm a really awesome person!"  Because I tend to be a person with low self-esteem I'm in this direction, which is something I'm not proud of but I don't really know how to fix.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think most people are much better, much deeper, much greater than you'd get from a snap judgment, but if they're also anything approaching humble then you wouldn't necessarily know about it.  This realization led me to stop looking so much at the little things other people are and are not doing and try to just pay attention to myself, and what I can do.  For example, I am trying to learn to assume good faith, because I'm kind of tired of interacting with others like a damaged person.

I can't speak to other people on this board, but my feeling is that most of the people here are honestly "good enough" and most of the people in the world are "good enough."  There's morality that's pretty solid, pretty absolute in everyday life.  Don't torture, don't abandon children, stick by your friends, don't kill, don't rape.  Most people manage to stay away from that stuff.  And then there's this really big gray area where we all have different opinions about what's right and what's important, and that's where most of us live--in this space where we honestly don't know the answer, but we're trying really hard to do the right thing, even though we often end up being wrong.  These people aren't really worth condemning for having what comes out of their mouth and what they do be different, because they weren't trying to speak out a thesis, they were just saying "hey, this is what I think right now," and then maybe they change their mind, or they just didn't have the resources to do the better thing.  Being a martyr for a cause isn't necessarily a positive, you know?  Sometimes the great thing is just deciding to enjoy life.  Sometimes the great thing is just saying "okay, when I get drunk, I won't hit my kids," and that's really honestly good enough.

So, what I'm trying to say is that regular life is complex enough that, at least for me, I don't feel like an absolute sort of judgment is possible.  I feel like we're good enough around here.  We argue in good faith, we try to do what's right, we listen to moderation, usually when we fuck up it's because we just weren't paying enough attention or felt like having a little fun without thinking about the consequences, not because of any ill will.

tl;dr: exactly what SalmonGod said.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

My general requirements for someone to be a Good Person (or at least one who I can respect when it comes to morality) is that they A) think long and hard about their morality, and B) make an honest effort to be Good according to their own requirements. Most people do B already, but fail with A. Those who don't think about their morality may fall haphazardly into doing good things, but risk promoting mutually exclusive ideas and causing harm to those who don't deserve it. Everyone should quantify and qualify their morality, resolving all those mutually exclusive premises and really dig down to their moral axioms.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Paperwork  >:(

And fucking password : Eight to sixteen characters, with at least one upper case, at least one lower case, at least one number, and at least one symbol (but not the ones we don't want). Also, make it easy to remember and hard to guess.
Sure, that'll be easy to remember.
Pages: 1 ... 1435 1436 [1437] 1438 1439 ... 3345