Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3711303 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Monday Morning Edition
« Reply #21015 on: February 19, 2013, 04:22:21 pm »

We hit 70F this past Friday afternoon. It snowed for 12 hours on Saturday. Hell, it was nearly 40 degrees outside, and it was still snowing.

I gave up trying to understand the weather.
NC has crazy weather anyway, it's the only place I've ever lived that could have a tornado, a flood, and a snowstorm all in the same month.
We also occasionally have a plague of cicadas with a chance of kudzu.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21016 on: February 19, 2013, 04:42:40 pm »

Illuminati: The Game of Conspiracy. The best f***ing card game Steve Jackson ever made.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21017 on: February 19, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »

Oh man, that brings back some memories...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21018 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:31 pm »

Technically, it's Illuminati: New World Order. Me and my roomies in college had a big ol' stack of cards, used to kill time drinking and playing NWO. Which got even more amusing when people were a bit tipsy, just trying to keep track of the control chains.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21019 on: February 19, 2013, 05:15:52 pm »

Illuminati: The Game of Conspiracy. The best f***ing card game Steve Jackson ever made.
Of course, many lawyers are very nice people, and they are vital to the protection of our freedoms.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21020 on: February 19, 2013, 05:19:25 pm »

It's too bad the actual conspiracy theorists latched onto it and destroy anything related to it on the internet with a flood of actual conspiracy theory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #21021 on: February 19, 2013, 05:23:40 pm »

It's too bad the actual conspiracy theorists latched onto it and destroy anything related to it on the internet with a flood of actual conspiracy theory.
The government is trying to make people think conspiracy theorists are crazy by making this game!
Actual conspiracy theory!
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21022 on: February 19, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »

So I found out about some bullshit in one of my uni's compsci courses.

A submits a program with some formatting errors, but it does the job correctly.
B submits a nicely formatted program that gives incorrect output.
Guess who gets the higher grade? That's right, B does.

The worst part? There's nobody to complain to about this bullshit, because the professor is also the department chair! He is literally the head of the chain of command in the compsci department. He reports to the dean of the college, who doesn't do any compsci whatsoever, and therefore wouldn't be any use to complain to.

While I agree that correctness should be the primary scoring mechanism for a program, I suspect we're not getting the entire picture here.  If B is almost correct and is very easy to read and thus fix, but A looks like it was written by a chimp who picked up a "Teach Yourself X in 24 Hours" book to write the program, I can see there being a point to this.

Professors really ought to take points off for poor formatting.  Every time I run into poorly formatted code that I have to maintain, two things happen.  I want to strangle whoever wrote it, and I waste more time than usual trying to read and understand it.

Nonono... Student A lost points for indentation not being aligned and for missing comments. Student B lost points because the output was completely wrong.

And ftr, I'm not in this course. I had the course with another professor, who emphasized correctness over prettiness. His point was, in the "real world", the main priority would be getting software to work, not making the code look nice. Once it works, *then* focus on formatting.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #21023 on: February 19, 2013, 07:44:31 pm »

In the real world, I work on enterprise software with hundreds of thousands to millions of lines of code built up over 5+ years by dozens of different developers, most of whom have moved on to other opportunities over the years. The ability to conform to a rigid style guide with descriptive comments is VASTLY more important than just pooping out some shit that happens to work at the moment and it may or may not break something else you didn't consider or that hasn't been implemented yet.

My rage for the day?
After telling my family about my high blood pressure and informing them I need to make changes for my health yesterday... I come home for work today to find them eating chocolate cake for dinner.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21024 on: February 19, 2013, 07:47:23 pm »

Not only does B deserve those marks FOR DOING IT RIGHT but while B's final output might not have been correct, but they might have sufficiently covered what was actually being marked.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21025 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »

In the real world, I work on enterprise software with hundreds of thousands to millions of lines of code built up over 5+ years by dozens of different developers, most of whom have moved on to other opportunities over the years. The ability to conform to a rigid style guide with descriptive comments is VASTLY more important than just pooping out some shit that happens to work at the moment and it may or may not break something else you didn't consider or that hasn't been implemented yet.

I'm not a programmer but I'd echo this because that's the environment I work in. Decade old software, multiple product lines that share a little code, half a dozen developers over the years. Plenty of those guys made it "work." The real issue is when that code needed to change. And when someone has a particular way of doing things, or enjoys "novel" solutions to problems, it can cause headaches for everyone that has to touch their code, and at worst leads to an entire rebuild. Actually at worst it leads to a client saying "FU" to your timeline and losing their business.

Kinda reminds me of high school math and "show your work." I seem to recall losing almost as many points for a wrong answer as I did for not showing my work. If you didn't show your work, it was hard for the teacher to tell you what you did wrong without walking through every step with you. Ain't nobody got time for that!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:34:16 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21026 on: February 19, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »

We hit 70F this past Friday afternoon. It snowed for 12 hours on Saturday. Hell, it was nearly 40 degrees outside, and it was still snowing.

I gave up trying to understand the weather.
NC has crazy weather anyway, it's the only place I've ever lived that could have a tornado, a flood, and a snowstorm all in the same month.
Michigan: Where all that stuff can happen in a single day.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21027 on: February 19, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »

I had a medical procedure so painful that I nearly recited the Seven Dirty Words.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21028 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:08 pm »

... there's only seven? Or is that, like, a particular seven out of the wider pantheon of innumerable dirty words?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21029 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:53 pm »

... there's only seven? Or is that, like, a particular seven out of the wider pantheon of innumerable dirty words?

If you're a sailor there's thirteen ;)
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 3345