Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3711292 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Monday Morning Edition
« Reply #21000 on: February 19, 2013, 12:20:46 am »

It depends of the weapon too, but I think the outsider got a natural evade too. I was just transfering an interceptor, and I got 2 UFO in less than 3 days, which destroyed the satellite ...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21001 on: February 19, 2013, 01:15:34 am »

I think the aliens have some kind of natural evade or hittability or something.  I've seen stuff like a muton and a muton elite standing side by side and they should both have the same chance to be hit, only to see the muton elite have some crazy low %.   

I don't remember how much trouble it was to hit an outsider, but it would stand to reason they are harder to hit than a sectoid.
She was using a shotgun though, and it was stupid low percent to hit. Not to mention she missed that one, then her friend missed also, and then they both died.

The clincher is that the Outsider got killed by the only rookie in the squad through overwatch. I lost three Squaddies and promoted a rookie.

I swear Thin Men are snipers too. I've only seen them miss on classic twice. Once shooting almost across the map at someone in full cover, and once on a random lucky roll while it was in overwatch, and again from far away. If they can see you, they can hit you, in my experience.

Not to mention the game tosses mutons at me before I even have a chance to research Laser Rifles OR carapace armor. And my people die so quickly that I can't get anyone a high enough level to have any useful skills. And the weird teleporting glitch that only seems to happen on Classic mode...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21002 on: February 19, 2013, 02:29:21 am »

So I found out about some bullshit in one of my uni's compsci courses.

A submits a program with some formatting errors, but it does the job correctly.
B submits a nicely formatted program that gives incorrect output.
Guess who gets the higher grade? That's right, B does.

The worst part? There's nobody to complain to about this bullshit, because the professor is also the department chair! He is literally the head of the chain of command in the compsci department. He reports to the dean of the college, who doesn't do any compsci whatsoever, and therefore wouldn't be any use to complain to.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21003 on: February 19, 2013, 02:35:19 am »

You can still complain to other teachers in the department. Chairmanship (I think that's the right term) isn't a dictatorship, or really a big position of power at all. Mostly you just organize things and sign more stuff, not run things.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21004 on: February 19, 2013, 03:07:11 am »

You can still complain to other teachers in the department. Chairmanship (I think that's the right term) isn't a dictatorship, or really a big position of power at all. Mostly you just organize things and sign more stuff, not run things.

Here, it is a position of power. He is in charge of the entire department. The organization goes:

University President - University Vice President (aka Provost of University Affairs) - Dean of Academic Affairs - College Deans - Department Chair - Department

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21005 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:35 am »

So I found out about some bullshit in one of my uni's compsci courses.

The worst part? There's nobody to complain to about this bullshit, because the professor is also the department chair! He is literally the head of the chain of command in the compsci department. He reports to the dean of the college, who doesn't do any compsci whatsoever, and therefore wouldn't be any use to complain to.

While I agree that correctness should be the primary scoring mechanism for a program, I suspect we're not getting the entire picture here.  If B is almost correct and is very easy to read and thus fix, but A looks like it was written by a chimp who picked up a "Teach Yourself X in 24 Hours" book to write the program, I can see there being a point to this.

Professors really ought to take points off for poor formatting.  Every time I run into poorly formatted code that I have to maintain, two things happen.  I want to strangle whoever wrote it, and I waste more time than usual trying to read and understand it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21006 on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:50 am »

Presumably because you failed to understand the purpose of an assignment. Like in rehtoric class, being right is a relatively small part of the problem - if your methodology is wrong, it's wrong, even if you got the right answer, because good rhetoric isn't about getting the right answer. Experience and study can easily fix this. But communicating well, writing clearly, and creating code that will last? That is a skill that must be forceably developed, as many developers can seemingly go their entire lifes without even considering it, and we all suffer for it.

But most likely, it's because he could follow what the other guy was thinking and doing easier. It's not uncommon for a teacher to give points for making their lives easier, even if that DOES seem a bit unfair. :P And formatting is much easier to grade than function, let's be honest...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21007 on: February 19, 2013, 12:22:13 pm »

Phone is acting up. Really wanting to smash this thing with a hammer. Stupid touchscreen registering touches where there are none. The phone's not even damaged! Not even a little!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21008 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »

Phone is acting up. Really wanting to smash this thing with a hammer. Stupid touchscreen registering touches where there are none. The phone's not even damaged! Not even a little!
Hammer it, and it'll be fine. Well, at least, you'll know why he doesn't work anymore.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21009 on: February 19, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »

Loving the local weather, which can't seem to decide if it's in Fahrenheit or Celsius.  Yesterday morning when I left home, it was 32.  Today morning at the same time, it was 0.  It's been like this all winter, from 45 to 5 in one day, then back up to 40 within a week before another plunge to 10.  Always entertaining. :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21010 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:07 pm »

Loving the local weather, which can't seem to decide if it's in Fahrenheit or Celsius.  Yesterday morning when I left home, it was 32.  Today morning at the same time, it was 0.  It's been like this all winter, from 45 to 5 in one day, then back up to 40 within a week before another plunge to 10.  Always entertaining. :D

Same here. We've been hitting up 40s one day, snow storms the next.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21011 on: February 19, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »

We hit 70F this past Friday afternoon. It snowed for 12 hours on Saturday. Hell, it was nearly 40 degrees outside, and it was still snowing.

I gave up trying to understand the weather.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21012 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:04 pm »

This is like the Summer. The Heat would never end.

Now it is the Snow will never end.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #21013 on: February 19, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »

We hit 70F this past Friday afternoon. It snowed for 12 hours on Saturday. Hell, it was nearly 40 degrees outside, and it was still snowing.

I gave up trying to understand the weather.
NC has crazy weather anyway, it's the only place I've ever lived that could have a tornado, a flood, and a snowstorm all in the same month.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #21014 on: February 19, 2013, 04:06:24 pm »

"The world has passed into the age of Elves."

HIGH SAVAGERY HIGH BEASTS

WHY NOT AGE OF THE HOARY MARMOT GAME
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 3345