Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700036 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: GAME OVER MAN Edition
« Reply #20775 on: February 12, 2013, 01:14:54 pm »

Neonivek, I feel like your words are supposed to mean something, but putting them together in the order you have... well, I'm at a loss to say what, exactly.

The term "They changed it now it sucks" means that someone is percieving that a product is "bad" because it is different then the product that came before it.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the new product, the term speaks of the irrationality of the community to put down good products simply because they are different.

If a subsequent product IS worse and isn't worth buying anymore, it is not "They changed it now it sucks" because it is a legitimately worse product.

Or if we were to do this in Towels
1) This towel is orange, it is TERRIBLE NOW! (They changed it now it sucks)
2) This towel doesn't absorb water, it is terrible now! (It just sucks)

At least that is my assumption.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:17:43 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20776 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:47 pm »

I'm still tempted to buy Colonial Marines if only because it's got CO-OP and being able to play story mode in shooters CO-OP is often a rarity. We'll see. I liked the last AvP game, despite how badly it was panned by everyone. So maybe the reviews are being excessively harsh. I'm sure the basis of what they're saying is true, but they REALLY hammer on the graphics, which is not an argument that carries a ton of weight with me. Bugged out enemies, poor challenges and the like are more important to me. Atmospherically at least, they say it's spot on. Which then they mess up by completely changing parts of the story, that is supposed to be based 100% on the movies. So meh. My decision to buy will be driven by other's decision to buy or not.

Simcity....not going to touch it. Fuck always online, fuck non-optional MP. Those two choices alone are why it won't get my money, forget what other features may or may not be missing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20777 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:37 pm »

I think you are being a bit crazy here Neonivek. When it's used, people mean "they changed it, now it sucks", with the "they changed it" being the primary motivator and reason of it now sucking. I don't think anyone has ever used it to describe something they don't think sucks now, by virtue of sucking. People certainly mock them for it, but it's also obvious that no one here is using the words to describe their own opinion in a mocking way.

There's a reasonable argument to be made that a persons reasoning behind what makes a game "suck" is not terrible useful to you (If you share the persons hatred of orange towels, even if you hadn't used the previous towel you would be upset that this towel is orange and think that sucks), but that's irrelevant.

Basically - you seem to be pointlessly picking nits, and doing so incorrectly to boot. The phrase means, expanded. "This was a good series. The components that made it a good series have been changed or have gone missing. The series now sucks, since it lacks those components and whatever components are filling the gap are not nearly as enjoyable, appropriate, or effective. If you liked the previous games, you can not use that as basis for considering you might like this game - they changed it, and the changes, in my opinion, are for the worst, to the extent that the new game is terrible, at the very least in comparison to what came before."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20778 on: February 12, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

Yes, Simcity 5 is definitely on my list of "They changed it, now it sucks" upcoming games.

You are aware that the point of that phrase is that the change is what makes it suck. Not the quality of the changes but the change itself.

Or rather it is a trope of "The community is being irrational".

Perhaps that's the intended usage of the phrase, but the phrase works in this case so I'm using it anyway.  Besides, there are lots of people who argue that the game isn't worse, just different.  To them that's exactly the way I'm using it.

To be clear though, I dislike the fact that they're taking it in a new direction (by itself just They Changed it, Now it Sucks), and because I think the game is going down in quality.

Quote from: nenjin
Bugged out enemies, poor challenges and the like are more important to me

Which apparently the game has.  The switch from xenomorph to non xenomorph enemies was noted as being frustrating and comparatively boring, making the challenge feel like a roller coaster.

Quote from: nenjin
Which then they mess up by completely changing parts of the story, that is supposed to be based 100% on the movies.

More than anything this is what I care about, and yes, they messed it up.  I was genuinely curious how they were going to explain some things, but now I'm sure it's just contrived or stupid.

Spoiler: If anyone cares... (click to show/hide)

I give up.  I'll just never have an Aliens game I can completely enjoy again I guess.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20779 on: February 12, 2013, 02:28:55 pm »

I don't think anyone has ever used it to describe something they don't think sucks now, by virtue of sucking

A lot of people do. It is one of those weird TVtropes where that happens.

As well Telgin right there admitted he used it to mean that.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20780 on: February 12, 2013, 03:01:15 pm »

Again, the nonsense continues. Goddamnit congress. Stop it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20781 on: February 12, 2013, 04:00:45 pm »

Half of the Monster Hunter fandom is kick-ass wyverns, but the other half is sexy pictures of anime girls dressed as monsters. I don't like that half and they get in the way of my wyverns.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20782 on: February 12, 2013, 04:08:23 pm »

Telgin, I have a(n unfortunate) solution for you. Simply don't follow franchises. Take each game as it comes, but expect nothing out of the next. If they ruin the story but the game is otherwise salvageable, make your own plot up. (My friend somehow linked Chris Redfield into Red Dead Redemption. I can't remember how, but it was awesome.)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20783 on: February 12, 2013, 04:13:20 pm »

Half of the Monster Hunter fandom is kick-ass wyverns, but the other half is sexy pictures of anime girls dressed as monsters. I don't like that half and they get in the way of my wyverns.

Welcome to [insert any work with a partially japanese audience].
Hell, I had the same issue when I tried to find Dark Souls fanart.
Mind you, the vast majority of the enemies/bosses/NPCs in that are more than a little grotesque.
"Oh hey, sexy anime undead dragon (with exposed ribcage) girl... Seriously. Are you fucking kidding me right now?" was my reaction to that kinda thing. :P
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20784 on: February 12, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »

I imagine the people who make DS uhm..."fan" art, are the same people who make sexy zombie "fan" art.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20785 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:25 pm »

I imagine the people who make DS uhm..."fan" art, are the same people who make sexy zombie "fan" art.

But... sexy zombies D:
How can you not like sexy zombies?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20786 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:46 pm »

You people are complaining about sexy fanart.

Are you human?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20787 on: February 12, 2013, 04:23:18 pm »

Are you human?

Only on Thursdays.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20788 on: February 12, 2013, 04:28:58 pm »

Are you human?
I think they're more objecting to the fanart that's zombies or other relatively disturbing creatures (half-human, half-spider, for example).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20789 on: February 12, 2013, 04:39:50 pm »

Telgin, I have a(n unfortunate) solution for you. Simply don't follow franchises. Take each game as it comes, but expect nothing out of the next. If they ruin the story but the game is otherwise salvageable, make your own plot up. (My friend somehow linked Chris Redfield into Red Dead Redemption. I can't remember how, but it was awesome.)

If I could do that, I probably would.  I'm pretty much incapable of it though.  I always end up deeply investing myself in franchises.  Movies, cartoon series and video games always end up like that for me.  After I see / play the first in the series, I get hooked and want to learn everything I can about it, such as the little details that I might have missed or some behind the scenes info from the creators.  Anything like that.

Then part 2 rolls around and I usually enjoy it.  Rarely, but sometimes, more than the original.  Things are usually a little different, such as smoothing edges, but almost always they're justifiable changes and I'm okay with them.  There are sometimes slight hints of things going in a direction I'm not happy with, but I can usually look past it at this point.

Then by the time part 3 or 4 rolls around, almost invariably someone decides that it needs to be "taken back to its roots" or "in a new direction", and I end up at best with a sour taste in my mouth or at worst outright hating what has happened.

I can understand nostalgia and how it interacts with things, and I understand that stagnation isn't a good thing.  But some things are absolutely inexcusable (such as hiring completely new writers and animators for a new season of a cartoon that, shock, turns out to be its last).

I'm starting to think that maybe I should only pick up one-off things now.  My standards for continuing series are clearly unrealistically high.  Then the one-off gets a sequel...

Are you human?

Eh... I can sympathize.  When I see sexy fanart of something that was never intended to be sexy, it's more jarring than anything.  To pick up on the theme of an ongoing rant of mine: xenomorphs. ???
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:52:32 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 ... 3345