Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690340 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Ho-Ho-HANGOVER Edition
« Reply #19575 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:19 am »

GuildWars 2 players saw they could go on the trading post(where players sell unwanted stuff) buy some cheap holiday crafting materiel, craft them into an item, and then salvage that item with a chance to get 1-3 valuable items and make a profit. 

This is not the only stuff you can do this and make a large profit with, but since the Trading post was basically flooded with these useless holiday mats the prices for them were rock bottom.  To the point where about a minute of doing an event that could be found about anywhere gave enough money to buy a dozen of them.

With all these mats being bought the prices for the mats were quickly driven up to the point where they were actually worth an inventory space all while bringing the possible profits from doing this to a fraction of the old amount.  Along the lines of the other things that could be made to accomplish this.  A healthy economy at work right?

Well ArenaNet didn't think so.  They gave out 200 permanent bans for 'exploiting' to players who did this.  No warnings, not even any word (official or unofficial) that doing that was anything but intended, until after the perma-bans were handed out.

What the hell, ArenaNet.  Dick move bro. 
(No I was not banned for this, but I do similar things, taking cheap things on the trading post and processing them for profit, and I don't see how doing so is even remotely an exploit)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19576 on: January 05, 2013, 01:06:43 am »

Isn't that the whole point of trading posts in games like those? O_o

Higher-level characters need common materials to craft the better materials for their high-level stuff. Thus they purchase the common materials from trading posts rather than gather the stuff themselves. Am I wrong?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #19577 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15:28 am »

So.. They banned people for having a basic understanding of economics?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19578 on: January 05, 2013, 01:20:16 am »

Isn't that the whole point of trading posts in games like those? O_o

Higher-level characters need common materials to craft the better materials for their high-level stuff. Thus they purchase the common materials from trading posts rather than gather the stuff themselves. Am I wrong?
That's what I thought.  I guess not.

There was a previous occurrence that was similar, way back when the game launched.  A dev had apperantly put an absurdly low price for a materiel by accident on an NPC vendor.  Players bought the item for the absurdly low price, (this was at launch, so not everyone knew the price was erroneous) and then turned it into something else, that could turn a profit just being vendored back.  The oversight was corrected (a week after it was found) and everybody who bought more than a few of the item were temp banned.

However this time the prices were low due to excessive supply and no demand on the trading post, none of the mats are even available from NPCs, nor could players vendor the results for profit, it all had to be done through the trading post. NPC vendors were not involved at all.  ArenaNet is saying it's the same thing.  It's got a few of my friends actually afraid to play the game, worried that it's only a matter of time before they get banned for crossing some invisible line of improper gameplay.

The company seems so afraid of letting people know about exploits that they will not comment or even hint at what is an exploit and what is not.  Even when directly asked, yet they still keep track, and ban hundreds of accounts at once for exploits that happened weeks ago.  That is bad enough, but now they seem to be banning for exploits that are not exploits.  Why do most of the good games have to have an evil side...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 01:41:48 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19579 on: January 05, 2013, 01:52:45 am »

This combined with the "Video Games from a Barter World" thread made me wonder what it would be like if there was a MMORPG with no currency, and all transactions were made by bartering. Or what if There was currency, but it was an item and took up inventory space like other items (it would most likely be stackable, but not infinitely).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19580 on: January 05, 2013, 02:20:49 am »

The latter: Mabinogi has an example of this. In ended up just introdcing 'checks' that were worth a predetermined amount of gold for transaction between players, as a good piece of armor could be worth 1000k gold, while only 4000~10k~50k stacked on four spots, depending on how you did it.
The former can be found in Vindictus, sorta. You couldn't trade finished items, nor certain rare materials. But they removed that, too.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19581 on: January 05, 2013, 02:23:37 am »

Path of exile, while not quite an MMORPG, uses that. Certain items are currency, and they take up inventory space, and they are consumable, and actually useful.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19582 on: January 05, 2013, 06:02:19 am »

This combined with the "Video Games from a Barter World" thread made me wonder what it would be like if there was a MMORPG with no currency, and all transactions were made by bartering. Or what if There was currency, but it was an item and took up inventory space like other items (it would most likely be stackable, but not infinitely).
Then TF2?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19583 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:19 am »

Then TF2?
TF2 is not a MMORPG.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19584 on: January 05, 2013, 06:45:09 am »

Oh, right.

That just made me realize how awesome TF2 could be if it was a decent MMOFPS.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19585 on: January 05, 2013, 07:09:27 am »

Oh, right.

I dont see how TF2 could turn into a MMO

Also raging because parents banned me from using distortion on my amplifier. And they also strike down on anything without a melodic emphasis. And last time i played something with a melancholic sound they thought i was having s mental breakdown and were about to call the funny house van on me. Fuck this. I cant even play Devin Townsend while washing dishes anymore, they think it sounds "too strange and manic"

I fucking hate you Mom.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19586 on: January 05, 2013, 07:56:12 am »

Oh, right.

Also raging because parents banned me from using distortion on my amplifier. And they also strike down on anything without a melodic emphasis. And last time i played something with a melancholic sound they thought i was having s mental breakdown and were about to call the funny house van on me. Fuck this. I cant even play Devin Townsend while washing dishes anymore, they think it sounds "too strange and manic"

I fucking hate you Mom.

Do they like classic rock?  Pink Floyd?  Play some of Ayreon's more upbeat stuff.  It'll remind them of that.  Try any track on Flight of the Migrator, except the one about the black hole :P    Progressive Metal will not be thwarted!!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19587 on: January 05, 2013, 08:02:25 am »

Oh, right.

I fucking hate you Mom.

Do they like classic rock?  Pink Floyd?  Play some of Ayreon's more upbeat stuff.  It'll remind them of that.  Try any track on Flight of the Migrator, except the one about the black hole :P    Progressive Metal will not be thwarted!!

They do. And i do a bit too. But i want to listen to music that lights me up. Im not always in the mood for soft music.
Also wich parent bans their kid fom listening to a certain kidn of music? Its rediculous!
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19588 on: January 05, 2013, 08:07:09 am »

Oh, right.

I fucking hate you Mom.

They do. And i do a bit too. But i want to listen to music that lights me up. Im not always in the mood for soft music.
Also wich parent bans their kid fom listening to a certain kidn of music? Its rediculous!

I was intentionally suggesting stuff that isn't soft, while still retaining elements that would sound familiar to them.  Ayreon specifically has many instrumental bits that are very reminiscent of Pink Floyd, but faster and heavier.  Once they get used to that, it might be easier for them to accept other things.  Ease them along.

Probably half the people I know had parents who banned them from certain types of music... fundamentalists.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19589 on: January 05, 2013, 08:28:18 am »

You could try getting some of the more expensive headsets (or maybe a plug gender) that have the amp-shaped plugs. I don't know how to explain them, but they're bigger than the average 3 mm holes. I think you could then listen to your playing without bothering your mom :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 3345