Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696643 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Violence Solves All? Edition
« Reply #17760 on: November 09, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

Are you talking about Avatar (the movie with blue people and fighting a mech with a giant tiger at the end), or Avatar (the tv show), or Avatar (the movie of the tv show), or Avatar (the sequel to the tv show)?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Violence Solves All? Edition
« Reply #17761 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:01 pm »

Are you talking about Avatar (the movie with blue people and fighting a mech with a giant tiger at the end), or Avatar (the tv show), or Avatar (the movie of the tv show), or Avatar (the sequel to the tv show)?

I thought it was pretty obvious.

the lamest science-fiction film
It's just Dances with Wolves, but kind of crappy and IN SPAAAACE!!!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17762 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:30 pm »

Pretty sure he was talking about Cameron's.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17763 on: November 09, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »

I could tell, but seriously, we have 4 things with the same name in a fairly short timeframe. Its sorta confusing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17764 on: November 09, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »

For one thing, people generally don't call Avatar crap.

3. Run Resize Enable

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #17765 on: November 09, 2012, 06:50:30 pm »

Best thing I can say about Avatar is Cameron actually got Dr. Pellegrino to make a realistic design for the ISV Venture Star, the ship at the beginning.

That's about where scientific accuracy ends in the thing.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17767 on: November 09, 2012, 06:52:37 pm »

They do however rightly call Avatar The Last Airbender crap.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17768 on: November 09, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »

They do however rightly call Avatar The Last Airbender crap.
With very good reason.

3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17769 on: November 09, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »

Hellllls no. I loved that show, one of the best Western cartoons ever.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17770 on: November 09, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »

Hellllls no. I loved that show, one of the best Western cartoons ever.
Me too.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17771 on: November 10, 2012, 04:26:44 am »

I don't really understand why Avatar (the Cameron film) gets so much hate.

The only criticism I've ever heard is that the story concept isn't original and some generic anti-hippie sentiment... it strikes me as a rough case of hype backlash, and I do admit that the film was VERY over-hyped.  I still don't think it was a bad one.  At the very least, the setting was built with some serious love, and pushed major special effects boundaries. 

Edit:  And I don't mean that in the casual sense that it was a good special effects show.  I mean that in the sense that they constructed a language, the concept of the whole environment having a universal nervous system was fairly original (not completely novel, but first time I've seen something like that in a mainstream production), and I hung out daily on both CGSociety and ZBrushCentral around the time that film was released and was studying special effects stuff in school at the time and the entire professional film cg community was in a massive uproar over the achievements pushed by that film.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:32:10 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17772 on: November 10, 2012, 04:35:10 am »

I do. :P
And I found Cameron's Avatar to be enjoyable. *shrug* It seems like it's just 'cool' to hate it or something. :-\ I dunno.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17773 on: November 10, 2012, 04:36:37 am »

*shrug* It seems like it's just 'cool' to hate it or something. :-\ I dunno.

Yeah, I kinda get this feeling too.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17774 on: November 10, 2012, 04:42:01 am »

For me, it was mostly because it was a summer/effects action movie that was trying to be something it wasn't. Cameron had an awesome (in the literal sense of the word) setting but decided to cram a bunch of aesops into it. In doing so, he basically ripped out the entire plot of Dances With Wolves, swapped the American Indians for blue space-elves, and swapped the U.S. soldier for, uh, a U.S. soldier... in a blue space-elf body! Which served as a physical metaphor for merging worldviews, yadda yadda.

It wasn't the "hippie sentiment" or whatever that bugged me, it's that the whole moral aspect of it felt incredibly fake, forced, and unoriginal. IMO it would have been a better film if Cameron hadn't tried and failed to beat the audience over the head with the aesops. It was one of the few films I've seen that made good use of "3-D", and some of the behind-the-scenes technical stuff was interesting. None of that helps much when the plot is an uninspired, heavy-handed pile of blah.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 3345