Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691597 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: NERD HERESY Edition
« Reply #17640 on: November 06, 2012, 12:13:39 pm »

One thing that while it hasn't been making me rage, but is very close to getting me to that point, is all the promises that the video game industry have been making.  Like Mass Effect 3, and their "Multiple unique endings", or how we were told that we would have a large amount of modern segments in Assassins Creed 3.  Because of all this, now I'm afraid of what other games, like Far Cry 3 and Halo 4 will turn up like.  I don't know if it's just that my expectations are too great and can't be met, or if the video game industry is just going that far downhill.

I felt like this with Fable 3.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17641 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »

I've only ever played Fable 2.  After some of the things I've heard about 3, I don't feel like wasting my money on it. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17642 on: November 06, 2012, 12:25:14 pm »

Screw you Volker Strassen... screw you...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17643 on: November 06, 2012, 12:26:46 pm »

The video game industry is "mature" now. No more room for innovation. No more room for experimental mechanics. No more room for complex stories. No more room for deeply branching plot lines. No more room for more than 2 guns per character in a shooter. Everything is now done by rote, standardized, homogenized, franchised, sequel'd, xbox compatible, farmville monetized and soon to support gestures on your iPad(tm).  The video game industry really has fallen that far. The last bastion of deep gaming is the indie scene, and even that often as not falls victim to same ennui that infests the studios.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17644 on: November 06, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »

The video game industry is "mature" now. No more room for innovation. No more room for experimental mechanics. No more room for complex stories. No more room for deeply branching plot lines. No more room for more than 2 guns per character in a shooter. Everything is now done by rote, standardized, homogenized, franchised, sequel'd, xbox compatible, farmville monetized and soon to support gestures on your iPad(tm).  The video game industry really has fallen that far. The last bastion of deep gaming is the indie scene, and even that often as not falls victim to same ennui that infests the studios.
Sadly I have to agree.  All the innovation now comes in new graphics, pushing the limits in technical performance.  Or finding new gimmicks, new ways to do simple things, amusing us or maybe an hour or two before we realize that the game offers nothing else. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17645 on: November 06, 2012, 12:32:25 pm »

As long as game making can be done by two guys in the basement, we'll always have good games. Just harder to find.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17646 on: November 06, 2012, 12:58:37 pm »

As someone entering the game industry: PFTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. Diversity in games is increasing. Better hardware is allowing for more and more procedural content, allowing for smaller dev teams to create larger, more ambitious projects than ever before. Here's the problem: you're grouping together 'games of today' and 'games of the past 40 years,' then doing a comparison. Naturally, 40 years of game development has a huge number of really good games compared to one year. And to try to pass off the entire industry as consisting of giant monopolies is laughable. Last I saw, a full 50% of the industry, by number of employees, are small or indie developers.

The increase of 'social games' and 'mobile games' isn't detrimental to the overall state of the industry; it is merely a new part in addition to it. Because let's be honest here: the creators of Angry Birds probably wouldn't be creating <INSERT NAME OF GREAT AND FONDLY REMEMBERED VIDEO GAME HERE> if mobile didn't exist. Nor would Zynga be making excellent games. It's an entirely different set of people with an entirely different mindset. Aside from that, I tend to believe such games are merely part of the 'gamification' fad, and will largely subside within the next decade or so; though they will remain a major part of the industry.

Now, if you want to see what a really failing games industry looks like, look no further than wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983
If you want to see what a bad AAA game looks like, read the gameplay description for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_(video_game)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:00:55 pm by alway »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17647 on: November 06, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »

As someone entering the game industry: PFTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. Diversity in games is increasing. Better hardware is allowing for more and more procedural content, allowing for smaller dev teams to create larger, more ambitious projects than ever before. Here's the problem: you're grouping together 'games of today' and 'games of the past 40 years,' then doing a comparison. Naturally, 40 years of game development has a huge number of really good games compared to one year.
I agree with you, however I think diversity in games by big companies is definetly dying off. If they ever get off the rails of the modern shooters, then I think more innovative games will happen. However at the current time, games by the large studios are basically copypaste deals.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17648 on: November 06, 2012, 01:06:33 pm »

As they always have been and always will be.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17649 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:38 pm »

Personally, I don't like Chrome's minimalistic approach. I could probably customize that, I assume,
Chrome doesn't let you customize... well, anything, really.

Their devs have specifically stated they have no intent on EVER letter you customize in more than an extremely superficial way. And they put rather... extreme... limits on the changes plugins can make as well.

Firefox works the way I want it to... after some effort. Chrome never will. It's honestly that simple.

(Fuck you and your stupid mandatory (x) s Chrome. Talk about rage. I just want to be able to switch fucking tabs without closing them, but no.)
This sums up my thoughts, more or less. Chrome is great at being minimal as hell, and being fast, and having the most non-fullscreen space for large images of space (or wallpapers).

Everything else, I can do more (or do better) of in Firefox.

IE is for school online tests or sites that refuse to work in anything else.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17650 on: November 06, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »

My neck. It hurts. But i have no fucking idea why it hurts.

BODY, I'M NOT 60 YEARS OLD, FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17651 on: November 06, 2012, 01:25:44 pm »

GOD DAMMIT I AM SO SICK OF FUCKING FUNDIES.

I've told you about my great books group in this thread before. There's about twenty people in it, and their all religious asshats. Seriously, the new bullshit today is how the people in NYC where fated to be hit by a storm because of the gays. MUST PUNCH. The worst part is, every single other person agreed. How the hell am I the only one with any sense. I swear, I'm this close to breaking down and ranting at them for half an hour. Only problem is we paid a shitton of money to get into this idiotic class and if I go on a rant, I'll probably get kicked out.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17652 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:22 pm »

As Jesus Christ said about homosexuality:
"                                                     ."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:17 pm »

The guy that ended his speech midway to say that he just took an old speech and replaced "black" with "gay" pretty much sums it up. This discussion was dated before it began.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: November 06, 2012, 01:41:15 pm »

GOD DAMMIT I AM SO SICK OF FUCKING FUNDIES.

I've told you about my great books group in this thread before. There's about twenty people in it, and their all religious asshats. Seriously, the new bullshit today is how the people in NYC where fated to be hit by a storm because of the gays. MUST PUNCH. The worst part is, every single other person agreed. How the hell am I the only one with any sense. I swear, I'm this close to breaking down and ranting at them for half an hour. Only problem is we paid a shitton of money to get into this idiotic class and if I go on a rant, I'll probably get kicked out.
Ask about new jersey then. Then mention the syrians taking credit for it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 3345