Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691746 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: NERD HERESY Edition
« Reply #17625 on: November 06, 2012, 07:17:47 am »

Deleting cookies on chrome didn't help me with my problem re: Facebook and YouTube signing me out when chrome has been closed.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26:25 am »

Nupe
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: November 06, 2012, 07:31:19 am »

Personally, I don't like Chrome's minimalistic approach. I could probably customize that, I assume,
And this is why I switched AWAY from chrome to Firefox. Chrome doesn't let you customize... well, anything, really.

Their devs have specifically stated they have no intent on EVER letter you customize in more than an extremely superficial way. And they put rather... extreme... limits on the changes plugins can make as well.

Firefox works the way I want it to... after some effort. Chrome never will. It's honestly that simple.

(Fuck you and your stupid mandatory
  • s Chrome. Talk about rage. I just want to be able to switch fucking tabs without closing them, but no.)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17629 on: November 06, 2012, 07:56:02 am »

Now only if Firefox had a slightly sleeker behavior, and was better out-of-the-box...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17630 on: November 06, 2012, 07:58:22 am »

Using both Firefox and Chrome I'm inclined to say they both kinda suck. Other browsers I've tried just suck more.

Firefox is slow and unwieldy.
Chrome has some annoying quirks with its interface (where the hell is a proper menu bar).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: November 06, 2012, 10:18:05 am »

As a web developer, I've found Chrome to be unbeatable however.  It's much faster than IE or FF, and its debugger is just flat out the best.  IE's was surprisingly the second best, although still behind Chrome's.  Firefox had pretty poor support for this last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago).  Having to use addons like Firebug that slowed it to a crawl was just frustrating.

As far as using them just as my desktop browser, I still use IE9.  I really don't care about customizability, IE is packaged with Windows, IE9 works very well, and I don't want to have to install more crap on this computer that replicates functionality I already have.

IE makes me want to murder people when it comes to web development though.  IE9 does a very good job of supporting standards, but 8 and earlier (especially 7 and earlier) do not.  It's always fun to find out that you've got an extra comma in your Javascript source that IE doesn't like.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17632 on: November 06, 2012, 10:25:53 am »

IE 9 is still crap at supporting standards.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: November 06, 2012, 10:44:38 am »

Well, that depends on which standards you're talking about I suppose.  It doesn't support a lot of HTML5 because of the timing of its release, but it's orders of magnitude better about CSS, Javascript and DOM standards than IE8 was.  I honestly can't remember the last time I've had to make a tweak to get something to work in IE9 when it worked in Chrome and Firefox.

Edit: Actually, even using standards supporting HTML5 browsers can be an exercise in frustration and futility.  Forget easy crossbrowser video tags for example, since they all implement different video formats.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:50:39 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17634 on: November 06, 2012, 10:49:04 am »

I like chrome. It does what I want it to, and the interface isn't so bad if you know EXACTLY WHERE EVERYTHING IS.
Seriously, every time I try to open my favorites, I click that damn gold star... Need to break that habit.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: November 06, 2012, 11:21:48 am »

It is amazing how shitty Firefox has gotten speed-wise. Not really understandable either.

It used to be a fairly agile browser - hell, wasn't a version of the original Mozilla that was stripped down and made into its own thing primarily for speed reasons? (Though it eventually replaced it, so maybe that's the problem)

I actually think Firebug is better than the built-in chrome checker, but not by a serious amount.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #17636 on: November 06, 2012, 11:52:31 am »

Firefox isn't what it used to be, but I can't be bothered to use the Chrome version that Google isn't monitoring what I do on and I hate IE immensely, so I'm sort of just stuck with what I have I feel.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: November 06, 2012, 11:54:51 am »

He came back in ten hours.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17638 on: November 06, 2012, 12:04:24 pm »

Goddamnit Visa. I can't register my prepaid debit card over the internet, so I call your customer support. Here's what I get from their so-called "award winning" customer service.
"Thank you for calling, please press 1 for English, <whatever the hell "2 for Spanish" is in Spanish>".
*presses 1*
"Thank you for calling, please press 1 for English, <whatever the hell "2 for Spanish" is in Spanish>".
*presses 1*
*presses <End>*

I try again.
*presses 1*
"Please enter your card number" <- This right there automatically assumes you have an account, even though their website and the package for the card specifically told me to use the phone service in case doing it online didn't work.
"Please enter your PIN#." <- Which doesn't exist because it hasn't been created yet.

So I enter a fake PIN. This transfers me over to a woman(finally, a presumed-human!)... who sounds like she has a speech impediment. No offense to people with speech impediments, but I don't think customer service over the phone is the best place for your talents. Anyway, I ask to have the card activated, and her first question is why I didn't do it online. I tell her the website gave me errors, so she puts me on hold for five minutes, with that calming elevator music that serves only to further infuriate any who hear it. When she comes back, I give her my personal information, the same information I gave the website. On hold again for more than five minutes.

Finally, she comes back, tells me they couldn't verify my identifaction, despite giving very verifiable information(phone, address, zip code, SSN), and they cannot activate my card. She offers me a choice, to convert the card into a gift card, or mail me back my own money, which will take a month  for the check to arrive and cost me about $10. I take the first option because I don't want to lose about an eighth of the money I had on it because they can't do their fucking job. Put on hold again. Then she comes back, asks my zip code again. PUT ON HOLD AGAIN. Then she asks me if I have any questions, and I ask if I could still use the card to make purchases online(the whole point of getting the card in the first place), and she PUTS ME ON FUCKING HOLD AGAIN FOR ANOTHER FIVE MINUTES BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION SHE SHOULD KNOW OFF THE TOP OF HER HEAD. Turns out, it won't work if they have to verify more than just my zip code, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. The total call lasted a little over 25 minutes, about 24 of which I'm sure were on hold.

Long story short, don't bother doing anything with Visa.

And in other money issues, I had to surrender all but a few dollars to my stepdad's brother, so he could buy gas. It's almost reasonable, as his daughter did come back with 20 gallons for the house, in case the power goes out again. Supposedly, my parents will reimburse me. Supposedly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: November 06, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »

One thing that while it hasn't been making me rage, but is very close to getting me to that point, is all the promises that the video game industry have been making.  Like Mass Effect 3, and their "Multiple unique endings", or how we were told that we would have a large amount of modern segments in Assassins Creed 3.  Because of all this, now I'm afraid of what other games, like Far Cry 3 and Halo 4 will turn up like.  I don't know if it's just that my expectations are too great and can't be met, or if the video game industry is just going that far downhill. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 3345