Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3697379 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fistfuls of Hair Edition
« Reply #9195 on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:20 am »

"But if the birds go extinct,", they reason, "they'll have no choice but to pay us for our services in keeping the fish population under control!"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:52 am »

Ngh. They might -- might, and there's a serious burden of proof involved there -- have a point if the cormorants have lost a natural predator or something and their population has boomed. If the cormorants population is actually getting large enough to start depleting the fish stocks, that could end up both killing the fish and the birds.

If there's not a bird boom, though, then there's a pretty good chance something else is killing the fish. First place to look for that is... probably fishermen :-\

Also depends on what they mean by cull. Might just be wanting to cut some of the population back down, possibly by opening the birds for recreational hunting for a bit or... whatever it is the things can be murdered for.

But yeah, there is actually a fair amount of human-directed population control going on with wild animals nowadays (Quick E: Population control which is the only thing keeping some animals from dying out in the wild, actually), seeing as how we've screwed most of the things that previously kept animal populations relatively stable straight to blazes. So it might not be as horrible as it sounds. It's probably as horrible as it sounds, but eh.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:45:10 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:14 am »

Ngh. They might -- might, and there's a serious burden of proof involved there -- have a point if the cormorants have lost a natural predator or something and their population has boomed. If the cormorants population is actually getting large enough to start depleting the fish stocks, that could end up both killing the fish and the birds.

If there's not a bird boom, though, then there's a pretty good chance something else is killing the fish. First place to look for that is... probably fishermen :-\

Also depends on what they mean by cull. Might just be wanting to cut some of the population back down, possibly by opening the birds for recreational hunting for a bit or... whatever it is the things can be murdered for.

But yeah, there is actually a fair amount of human-directed population control going on with wild animals nowadays (Quick E: Population control which is the only thing keeping some animals from dying out in the wild, actually), seeing as how we've screwed most of the things that previously kept animal populations relatively stable straight to blazes. So it might not be as horrible as it sounds. It's probably as horrible as it sounds, but eh.
It might not, but it pretty obviously is.
I would bet a million dollars that 99% of the problem is humans, and even if its not just humans killing the fish directly I would bet its either pollution or change/destruction of habitat.

And animal population swings are natural, they wouldn't wipe the fish out, or themselves out, what would happen is that they would kill most of the fish, and then most of the population would die from famine.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:07 am »

Mornings. I loathe them. Not just "ugh, it's morning" but waking up and being physically angry at time itself. If I could time itself when I wake up, I would.

Or to quote Oceans Eleven;

What are you, suicidal or something?

Only in the mornings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: February 22, 2012, 11:40:08 am »

Complex numbers: Y U SO...COMPLEX? ARGH!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: February 22, 2012, 11:54:47 am »

Complex numbers: Y U SO...COMPLEX? ARGH!
I can give you 3+2i reasons why.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: February 22, 2012, 12:07:01 pm »

Can you give those reasons square root of one times, for those of us who have trouble following along?

.... oh wait, that just makes it worse, doesn't it?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: February 22, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »

You people make me want to weep. I have to go take a math test now. ;_;

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »

Can you give those reasons square root of one times, for those of us who have trouble following along?

.... oh wait, that just makes it worse, doesn't it?

√1 = 1, so no.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »

My cat has been sleeping in the litter box. Fuck if I know what is wrong with him.

Is he also eating the cat litter?  If so, he's probably sick.  I had a cat once who started getting reclusive and eating cat litter.  He had feline leukemia, and by the time we got him diagnosed it was too late.

Apparently he was anemic because of the leukemia and that made him want to eat the cat litter.

If he's not eating the cat litter, he's probably just going through a stupid phase.  Maybe it's just my cats, but they go in cycles of sleeping in a spot for a few days to a week, always sleeping there and nowhere else if they can help it.  Then they pick a new spot.  Sometimes they just pick stupid places to sleep.  Never had one sleep in the litter box before though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: February 22, 2012, 12:43:16 pm »

Generally though....every animal in existence knows not to sleep in its own filth. That's usually the sign of an animal that's on the brink.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:27 pm »

I remember something about an ancient tribe that refused to dedicate outside there homes as it was disrespectful to there religion. poor tribes ended up dieing of disease :/
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: February 22, 2012, 02:05:42 pm »

I fucking hate the overlap between /r/atheism and /r/politics, I want to discuss policy without my religion being constantly attacked because of the ignorant and bigoted people that claim to follow it.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: February 22, 2012, 02:07:48 pm »

Negative one damn it. Stupid leavng out words and letters and crap.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »

Was looking at the story on CNN about the two Western reporters killed in Syria, and made the horrible, horrible mistake of reading the comments section.

Apparently, the peanut gallery thinks its awesome when journalists get killed, and don't give a flying fuck about the Syrian people because they're all American-hating Mooslim terrorists anyways.

Goddamn, I hate people sometimes. >_<

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 3345