Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696813 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8745 on: February 05, 2012, 06:54:12 am »

I just repeatedly rick rolled myself -_-

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: February 05, 2012, 06:57:21 am »

I just can't stand the thought of passively absorbing media for such a huge continuous chunk of my free time, when I could be doing something interactive.

I do see this point. I don't watch nearly as much as I used to. I haven't watched TV for many years but I used to watch a hell of alot of films, mostly 80's. Now though, I've literally seen nearly every good film ever made. So I watch one film a week or month or something.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: February 05, 2012, 07:07:55 am »

Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today

-That people STILL think jewish slaves build the pyramids. Paid labor built the pyramids more than 1000 years before jesus or the bible was even godspawned.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:10:48 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: February 05, 2012, 07:09:47 am »

Fun fact: There were jews before Jesus yanno?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: February 05, 2012, 07:10:32 am »

Fun fact: There were jews before Jesus yanno?

Yeh I edited it to make it more understandable. Thats why its called rage and not intelligent debate ITS RAGE

Fun Fact: It's the bible and thus jesus' influence that insists slaves built the/a pyramid. Thus really its his fault, but if you want to get down to semantics, I added 'the bible' for easy understanding of what I was raging against.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:13:49 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: February 05, 2012, 07:17:35 am »

I was under the impression that the pyramids were built by Egyptian farmers as a form of economic control to ensure there was food all year round. They got taxed to hell during the farming seasons when food was plentiful, then for the other half of the year they were told to build these structures and paid in the very food they were taxed.

Was I mistaken?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: February 05, 2012, 07:21:16 am »

I was under the impression that the pyramids were built by Egyptian farmers as a form of economic control to ensure there was food all year round. They got taxed to hell during the farming seasons when food was plentiful, then for the other half of the year they were told to build these structures and paid in the very food they were taxed.

Was I mistaken?

Farmers helped in non farming seasons(when the nile wasnt flooded) When i'd imagine they are largely unemployed anyway.

The bottom part may be true in some part, but the truth is alot of these people were highly skilled masons etc who were paid in food to make the pyramids.
I would not be surprised at all if they were taxed heavily during the construction of one of the biggest monuments in all of history. It makes logical sense.
I'm not saying they were paid minimum wage, or even a decent wage. But they wern't slaves. Not at all.

Too be fair, what you have stated is any tax system that has ever existed. You are paid from state jobs in part by the tax you yourself pay in. The difference is the egyptians used food instead of coins as their taxes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:23:53 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: February 05, 2012, 07:24:21 am »

Fun Fact: It's the bible and thus jesus' influence [...]
Minor related-to-real-life rage: People saying that Jesus had anything direct (/at all) to do with the bible. Dude mostly likely wasn't even literate and the bloody thing was written years/decades after his death. Minor commonly-occurring nuisance, don't mind me, carry on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: February 05, 2012, 07:25:20 am »

Oh okay. That still doesn't make it wrong though.

What does make it wrong, on the other hand, is that jews didn't exist that far into the past, according to wikipedia. 5-4 millennia against a mere 3 or so? Yeah, doesn't add up.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: February 05, 2012, 07:25:53 am »

Fun Fact: It's the bible and thus jesus' influence [...]
Minor related-to-real-life rage: People saying that Jesus had anything direct (/at all) to do with the bible. Dude mostly likely wasn't even literate and the bloody thing was written years/decades after his death. Minor commonly-occurring nuisance, don't mind me, carry on.

Counter rage - He was responsible for it, I never said he wrote it. But yes this also makes me rage. People think the bible is the word of god(or jesus), no it was the word of Constantine who butchered it and decided what was right and what wasnt. Divine influence my ass.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:28:53 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: February 05, 2012, 07:28:56 am »

Well I guess you would need skilled masons to do specific work for sure. Things like architecture and stone cutting would require skills beyond your average farmer, but those bricks weighed a fuckload! No point wasting masons on dumb labour.

I think being a sailor would have been a good job. Tide always going north, wind always going south, all you need to do is take the blocks from the quarry to the site, and not capsize.

Prepost edit.
Counter rage - He was responsible for it, I never said he wrote it. But yes this also makes me rage. People think the bible is the word of god, no it was the word of Constantine who butchered it and decided what was right and what wasnt. Divine influence my ass.
First line of the bible: In the beginning, god created the heavens and the earth. Not in the beginning, I created the heavens and the earth. Pretty clear it is a third party. There is no gospels according to Jesus.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: February 05, 2012, 07:31:19 am »

I think being in the military would be best, you got to capture loot and were awarded slaves if the battle was victorious. An easy way to get rich :D If you live of course...

E. True story, the Egyptians lost a battle because after one stage of it the troops left the battle line to loot bodies, then were defeated.

I forget the exact battle, I'll have a quick look. Couldn't find.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:34:30 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: February 05, 2012, 07:33:19 am »

Hmm, na, I'm not that sort of man. I can imagine a life ferrying goods as a river merchant, but I was just never that good with a khopesh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: February 05, 2012, 07:33:43 am »

I think being a sailor would have been a good job. Tide always going north, wind always going south, all you need to do is take the blocks from the quarry to the site, and not capsize.
And not get eaten by the crocs and hippos. I'd probably be a mite worried about those (especially the hippos).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: February 05, 2012, 07:36:30 am »

You just gotta give them all the room they need, and make sure your sailing a catamaran. Hippo could take a chunk out of one of them and it would keep on sailing.

I'm pretty sure the Egyptians had those too. They are pretty early on the tec tree for river vessels.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 3345