Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695608 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #4230 on: June 15, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »

People's raging about the quality of Duke Nukem Forever is making me rage.  12 years of shoddy development followed by a quick fix by another company, and people expect a good game out of this?  Yeah the hype was insane (and annoying.  No, Gamestop, I most certainly do NOT want Duke's "Big Package"), but why can't we just shrug and move on already?  The biggest, longest joke in the video game industry has come to a close at last.  We can move on now.  Please?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »

I've been annoyed with the Duke Nukem thing for a very long time.  For being almost the last of its kind, Duke3d was decent as far as weapon balance, level design, etc... but nothing special.  There was nothing innovative about it.  The only thing that made it memorable was the main character being an over-the-top conglomeration of every campy staple of an 80s action hero, which I found mildly amusing when I was 13.  Other people found it so amazing that they maintained interest in a sequel for 15 goddamn years.  WTF
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: June 15, 2011, 10:28:11 pm »

Olwga convinced me the only reason Gearbox picked up the game at all was to stop the meme forever. I belive her now, I think they actively sabotaged what little was left to mess up.

Sorry duke. Balls of steel don't mean a damn thing anymore in the post aught gaming community.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:57 pm »

The whole game will hopefully be forgotten in a few months. Hopefully.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: June 15, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »

On the contrary.  It's the new Daikatana.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:37 pm »

On the contrary.  It's the new Daikatana.
Daikatana? Never heard of it...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: June 15, 2011, 10:47:37 pm »

Daikatana is why no one takes John Romero seriously anymore.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: June 15, 2011, 10:48:57 pm »

Oh no... Hearing John Romero and Daikatana in the same sentance just triggered a supressed memory about Daikatana. Didn't he say it was like Doom mixed with Quake?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »

Not completely... his shameful departure from Id also hurt his image quite a bit... but I wouldn't expect anyone under the age of 23 or so to understand what we're talking about.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: June 15, 2011, 10:51:52 pm »

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about, and I'm 17. Romero's idiocy transcends generational boundaries.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:17 pm »

Daikatana is why no one takes John Romero seriously anymore.

It's a shame too, because Romero is a talented programmer and all, he just can't manage a project.  Interestingly though, the Gameboy Color version of Daikatana is a decent and passable game.

That having been said, Gearbox will probably make a decent profit off of DNF.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:48 pm »

I'm not surprised younger people would know John Romero's history, I just wouldn't hold it against them if they didn't.  Of course, I expect the majority of PC gamers to understand what happened with Daikatana.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:57 pm »

What did John Romero do that was so idiotic? I heard he blamed all the flaws of the games he created on the other ID staff members, but I don't really know much more.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:08 pm »

Shortly after the release of Quake, he was fired from Id Software, after his employment there (and secret cameo in Doom 2) had turned him into one of the first celebrities of game dev culture.  At first, Id publically announced his resignation, but then Romero started bitching and fans were curious, so the truth came out that he had turned into a lazy deadweight who barely showed up to work, so they had actually fired him.  The company had started out as a small group of friends sort of thing, so they were pretty close knit and had kindly tried to save him some face, but he ruined it.  Then with massive clout and publicity surrounding him, he founded Ion Storm, where he announced his plans for Daikatana and went on to become the biggest joke in gaming history.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:28 pm »

And as SalmonGod mentioned, he only thought he was good at game development, so Daikatana was horrible.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 3345