Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698539 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: TOILET RAEG Edition
« Reply #8310 on: January 09, 2012, 04:04:09 pm »

The problem is that Pathfinder managed to cut a large chunk out of D&D consumer base, and that in turn lowered Hasbro's expected sales figures. Now they want to try to reclaim their past profit margins, and that means trying to win back their customer base.

I don't expect this move to work quite as well as they think it will.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8311 on: January 09, 2012, 04:05:40 pm »

But I liked 4e!

I might have liked 4e if it was Exalted 2e or Diablo branded game, but as a replacement to 3e D&D? Not up to snuff.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: January 09, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

I like them both equally, because I'm blissful in my ignorance. White Wolf's game always seemed the coolest to me anyway :P
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:29 pm »

I keep it old-school. 1st edition all up in this bitch. Y'all don't want none of mah Grandmaster of Flowers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #8314 on: January 09, 2012, 05:04:43 pm »

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, 1st edition. Ah, childhood <3 The 3rd edition really made me rage I remember, the 2nd was okay, if only because they hadn't released anything for what, 20 years?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: January 09, 2012, 05:24:07 pm »

Homebrew is the only way to play. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:47 pm »

I actually quite liked 4e, though I never got very high level with it (where it supposedly breaks).

I thought the streamlining worked well. Took some good strides toward eliminating the "linear warriors quadratic wizards" thing from what I could tell. My only big complaint is that weapon type mattered a great deal more than it should've... my crossbow using ranger would always be inferior to a longbow using one due to having ~2 less damage done for every individual dice roll.

But yeah all my table top gaming is done with extremely freeform systems where we can pretty much ignore all the rules and do whatever.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: January 09, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »

And all of my for god knows how long has ben using homebrew systems that are superior to any game on the market (in terms of how well they fit my settings and hosting styles).

Though I admit to being partial to Paranoia, My Life with Master, and Splicers.

Never really understood the appeal of D&D. The first one was okay as a basic dungeon crawl, but was never quite sure what the third edition offered that made people cling to it so.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: January 09, 2012, 06:42:17 pm »

Ridiculously convoluted min/maxing.

The wargame aspect isn't half bad either.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8319 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:05 pm »

Why did 3e gain so much love?

1: it used a much more consistent and reliable set of mechanics compared to 2e.

2: Game play was smoother, though more complex. And it had more support for doing things other than killing stuff.

3: The system of modular, making it easier to tweak and add to without horribly breaking everything. But you could horribly break it anyway right out the box if you tried hard enough.

4: Last but not least: It was an Open Source gaming system that satisfied every gamers desire to write and publish their own gaming material.

5: Laster but not leaster: It spawned D20 Modern and D20 Modern is 180 proof distilled perfection.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: January 10, 2012, 12:20:30 am »

Why did 3e gain so much love?

1: it used a much more consistent and reliable set of mechanics compared to 2e.

2: Game play was smoother, though more complex. And it had more support for doing things other than killing stuff.

3: The system of modular, making it easier to tweak and add to without horribly breaking everything. But you could horribly break it anyway right out the box if you tried hard enough.

4: Last but not least: It was an Open Source gaming system that satisfied every gamers desire to write and publish their own gaming material.

5: Laster but not leaster: It spawned D20 Modern and D20 Modern is 180 proof distilled perfection.

This. :) Also, it deserves  specifically mention that THACO was far more difficult to explain to new players than an attack roll.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: January 10, 2012, 12:39:13 am »

ARGH 4E WHY ALL THE RESTRICTIONS AND IMBALANCES IN ALIGNMENT AND PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANES!

I rage about this sometimes. Then I go over to my 3.5 books. WHICH ARE THE ONLY ONES I HAVE, HAH!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: January 10, 2012, 01:22:53 am »

3.5e~
I will never leave you~
<3
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: January 10, 2012, 01:25:02 am »

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/dungeons-dragons-plans-comeback-200249601.html

Tell 'em alllll about it....

I'm pretty sure you'll be ignored, but they're finally realizing that putting out a new set of rules too often has fragmented their customer base and thus messed up their bottom line. Rules were easier for them to come up with than actual content, which would've sold for more, but meh.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:27:44 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: January 10, 2012, 01:30:20 am »

I don't understand why people are so attached to D&D.  I've been playing it since I was a little kid, and got too frustrated with its limitations by the time I was about 19.  And I know someone is going to say "It doesn't matter if you have a good DM."  Or "just house rule the things that you don't like."  The same could be said for any tabletop game.  I'm judging the system on its own merits as a facilitator of good storytelling.  There are much much better out there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 3345