Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2170 2171 [2172] 2173 2174 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689580 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SON OF A BROWSER! Edition
« Reply #32565 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:39 am »

Wow, talk about subtle indoctrination.

"If you don't choose a pre-approved path in life you shall fail your class, and you will keep failing it until we determine that you have switched your choice to a correct one."
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32566 on: February 12, 2014, 06:51:20 am »

My mother forgot that she'd agreed to pick up my sister's dog tomorrow... :-\
I didn't really want her to go to all the trouble over the stupid thing in the first place, but it was her idea and so I'd stopped worrying about what to do with it until about 20 minutes ago. Argh. Hopefully she agrees to get it anyway, or else my plans for the rest of the week are screwed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #32567 on: February 12, 2014, 09:26:23 am »

GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32568 on: February 12, 2014, 11:40:48 am »

Power is out due to ice storm.    And my English teacher has already told us that since, technically, she did give our assignment out last week, that the power going out today won't be any excuse.     
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #32569 on: February 12, 2014, 11:43:56 am »

Power is out due to ice storm.    And my English teacher has already told us that since, technically, she did give our assignment out last week, that the power going out today won't be any excuse.   
Maybe that'll teach you to keep a more elaborate schedule than "start the day before the deadline" xD.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32570 on: February 12, 2014, 11:49:03 am »

keeping schedules? what are you, productive? supplementary video

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32571 on: February 12, 2014, 11:50:29 am »

@Dutchling

... Bullshit. Effective time management does not mean do everything the instant it's assigned. It means organizing your schedule so that you can get things done, which as far as I can tell was done here. Building in safeties for unexpected problems is good, yeah, but I'm not about to assume Lightningfalcon had nothing else to do all week. I don't think "Shit happens, ha ha, deal with it" is necessarily the lesson you want to be teaching in schoolwork - students get plenty of that outside of the place where they're supposed to be doing formal learning. One way or another, the power being out means there's one less day to do the assignment than they were promised, and that is a perfectly good reason to be raging in the rage thread.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32572 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:40 am »

My time-management is so poor that I don't even have the time to write a schedule for time-management. ;-;

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #32573 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:54 am »

Oh I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but "shit happens, ha ha, deal with it" seems like a pretty good life lesson to me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32574 on: February 12, 2014, 11:56:00 am »

Oh I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but "shit happens, ha ha, deal with it" seems like a pretty good life lesson to me.
Oh, it's a good life lesson, but it's not a good school lesson. Most students have a life outside their classes, and will get plenty of that there. No need to heap bullshit on bullshit. And "Here's why this is your fault" is a bad post to be making in the rage thread unless you've got some sort of insanely egregious example.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32575 on: February 12, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »

I'm getting it done, but it's going to mean going out to the car to charge my phone so I can use it as a hotspot.
What it is is that we have to get three sources for a literary criticism.   Which I hate anyways, because I have to find "Experts" who agree with me instead of just using the book my paper is on.  I've already read through almost three hundred pages of people debating if Elliot got his inspiration from Hamlet, or about the psychodynamic freudian trio between characters and their Oedpian jealousy.    I've found exactly one paper that doesn't try to make itself look important with large words, and is actually useful for the purposes of my paper, and I still need to find two more.   I spent the majority of my weekend reading these, so i haven't been waiting until the last minute.  Thing is that my online Latin class has also started the other week, and  I have to spend my time doing that too. 
Normally I wouldn't waste time posting about this, but these papers are just starting to blur together. my eyes hurt from the low brightness setting on my laptop, and I can barely move because it's so cold.     
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32576 on: February 12, 2014, 12:41:05 pm »

My time-management is so poor that I don't even have the time to write a schedule for time-management. ;-;
This may work like a debt, where you need more income to pay the debt but because the debt has interest you have less income ... if you just didn't have any debts, you could afford to pay off your debts! :/

The trick here is you don't actually need a time management plan. You just ned to get your shit back on track and people will stop complaining. You need to use the most expedient method to get there. Filling in a form or writing a paper on how you are going to spend your time is not the answer.

I'd suggest just buying a little pocket day planner and writing down all the things you have due, with an entry on the actual due date and an entry exactly one week earlier. Anything in the past, find out if you will get any credit at all for doing it (if it's at work, make sure nobody else did it already out of desperation from waiting for you to finish). If it doesn't get you ahead, strike it out. Anything left from the past is probably only worth partial credit - which means it doesn't matter whether you get it done today or next week. Which means you need to focus on imminently upcoming due dates so they don't slip into late partial credit territory. Better to disappoint one person for two weeks than disappoint two people for one each.

So far we're just at a trip to the store for the planner, a look through your notes or syllabi, and writing in due dates. You should be able to tackle this in an hour or two.

Now we come to the actual time management part. Every thing you do in your life is separated into "Must do to survive", "Must do to succeed", and "Desire to do to be happy". I agree that happiness is a contributing factor to success, but spending time playing video games when you have projects due tomorrow is a poor choice - in exchange for extra happiness and a tiny boost to success, you miss out on a huge boost to success you could have by doing your work.

You need maybe 4 hours of sleep to survive, 7 to succeed (because you have enough sleep to learn and do well on your work), maybe 9 to be happy in the morning. That's two hours you can easily shave off of your schedule, making you less happy, but retaining most of your ability to succeed.

After your basic success needs are met - enough sleep, travel time and class attendance - you have the success needs that you might not consider to be needs but really are. If you have a project to do, and it's due next week, why wait? Just get that shit done. Get it done before you pursue a leisure activity. Prioritize your to-do list over your leisure time. Maybe a friend says "come down to the quarry with us and shoot off fireworks and drink from tiny liquor bottles" but you have to turn them down because you actually have responsibilities and you need to fulfill them.

At all times you will find that you can pursue leisure with all of your time without getting enough of it. If you ire of video games you can go for a run. When you've had enough sun you can lie in the shade and read. If you choose leisure before work until you have had enough, you will never get to your work. In short, if you have work that you can do, you must do it, before your leisure.

There will be times when you have a project due in the future but you don't have the resources to complete it. You start, do as much as you can, and hit a wall. It's unreasonable to expect that you can do the last piece of work in a class at the start of the quarter / semester: if you could do that, why are you taking the class? So it's fine if you have some work due next week but you can't do it yet. But you're responsible for getting started and doing as much as you can with the resources you have every night. It's not ok to get the project assignment, do 1 page out of 5, then leave it until the night before it's due.

In choosing which tasks to work on, and especially in catching up, I suggest placing deliverables before reading in importance. I know you need the reading to understand how to do the deliverables, but you will not be graded on your reading. You will be graded on your papers and tests. Do what you need to get those in, and with your spare work time catch up on your reading. Likewise if you have two pieces of work to do but you can only possibly finish one, o the work that will have the greatest impact on your grades. Let's say one piece is worth 1% of your grade and the other is worth 4% - do the more valuable piece. But if you're failing in the 1% piece's class, and doing well in the 4% piece's class, choose the 1% because you have a lower class grade to bump up. This should be pretty obvious to you in practice - do the work for your worst class before doing work for your best class.

I could shower for an hour in the morning, because I love scorching hot water. But I've figured out that (a) my girlfriend wants some water too, so I need to cut my showers shorter, and (b) I value an extra half-hour of sleep more than I value an extra half hour of showering. Similarly, look at what you do with your leisure time and figure out what does what: does watching Youtube LPs do something different for you than painting? Don't waste time doing leisure that you don't need at the moment, figure out your mood and actively choose a leisure type that will fulfill you.

---

Eventually you will dig yourself out of your work backlog, scraping up a few measly points for turning in late work. You'll be caught up, and turning in new work on time and then ahead of schedule. You'll be tempted to skip all the old reading - go back and buckle down and just do it! And in the future you'll be tempted to let your good habits slide because everything is fine now. But if you don't keep up with these good habits you'll be right back where you started.

---

TL;DR: Get a day planner. Write down your due dates. Get all of your work done before you play.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32577 on: February 12, 2014, 06:42:18 pm »

So I took a Fluids test today. It was all of two problems, plus some terminology stuff that I didn't remember.

Halfway through my drive home, I realized that I fucked up one of the problems. So I guess that's a solid half of a test grade down the toilet. Then again, maybe he'll curve it - the problem in question was a tricky bastard, so I don't know if anyone else will actually pull it off either.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32578 on: February 12, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »

I got into a dispute with my mother today...

This morning I was prepping to take my psych test, and just about to take it too when my mother came over and asked if I wanted breakfast, and offered to cook some scrambled eggs. Which would have been fine, except that I was in the middle of something, feeling extremely agitated, and had already eaten. Plus I'm pretty sure she was actually just manipulatively trying to get me to go out to the kitchen area and interact with a guest... Though considering said guest is a rather obnoxious old woman who likes coming into our house uninvited and generally being politely unpleasant, this is not something I was keen to do, especially not at that point in time.

I tell my mother that I've already eaten, and I'd just rather be left alone because I'm rather busy. She says ok, and moves on.

Fast forward to this evening, my brother has cooked dinner after a short argument about the cooking of dinner. I come to the table, my mother has got her feet on the chair where my plate is, I ask her if I could have the chair, she demands I apologise for the events of that morning, she tells me I was being rude, that I had no right to say that to her, she threatens to kick me out of the house, tells me how miserable it is to deal with me etc. etc...

Point being, I don't think I did anything wrong at all, I was as polite as I could be at the time, and I feel I had every right to ask for a bit of solitude considering the circumstances. And I feel really frigging frustrated at her after this... so I just stood there in silence for a couple of minutes while she rants at me, and then just walked away once I felt she was done.

Then my brother decides to poke the sore later on by coming up and asking me why I didn't apologise, I tell him that I was polite as I could be and I didn't feel I had anything to apologise for, and that frankly I wasn't in the mood to put up with her bullshit. He tells me that he doubts I didn't have anything to apologise for and that I should go apologise because my "polite as possible" is typically very rude by other people's standards (for those who think this is some attempt at conflict resolution, trust me, it's pretty unlikely, he's most likely trying to antagonise me and spread conflict for his own amusement).

Maybe I could have dealt with the situation better, but I'm just so tired of dealing with this sort of emotionally manipulative stuff.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32579 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:14 pm »

I lost my keys at work today. >:[

The anger.  We looked everywhere.  Probably snagged by some networking student who will probably return them tomorrow or something BUT STILL.  DON'T MESS WITH THE STUFF (also I've had fiber glass in my arms all day and the pain is indescribable when I put on my coat).  Otherwise it would've been a pretty good day.
Pages: 1 ... 2170 2171 [2172] 2173 2174 ... 3345