Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26833 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #270 on: June 16, 2010, 06:19:25 am »

Do people really take knowledge from C&C? I think you're trolling me, now. =(

it's a sarcastic exageration, but yes, people tend to take some stuff too seriously

Hehe this thread is going places too.

Anyway, the classic peasant/townsfolk always seem to have pitchforks. Pitchforks can be deadly in the right hands, right?

the fact that they are peasants should be enough indication that these aren't the right hands

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 16, 2010, 06:23:30 am »

Many of them certainly have the practice of wielding one, what with them stabbing haybales and lifting things all day.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 16, 2010, 06:26:25 am »

Many of them certainly have the practice of wielding one, what with them stabbing haybales and lifting things all day.

Yeah, if a farmer knows how to use a scythe, don't go up against him if he's got one, no matter how impractical you consider the weapon.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 16, 2010, 06:30:08 am »

And who knows, that one hooded peasant with a sickle just may be the Grim Reaper, and that certainly would ruin your day.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 16, 2010, 06:33:29 am »

Or he could be a Troll. Which would be even worse.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 16, 2010, 06:56:14 am »

Tanks are "highly mobile", heavily armored platforms originally designed to breach heavily fortified positions (which would be, if your trying to find analogues for medieval roles, the contemporary equivalent of a shield wall or something like that, leaving the role of the tank roughly analogous to that of heavy cavalry). I suppose there is quite a bit of psychological impact of a nearly invulnerable engine of destruction bearing down on you, or rolling through your town square, so calling them "shock troops" probably isn't a stretch.
Yup, I think Western Front Trenches were a perfect analogue to infantry formations, and tanks to knights whose job it was to break these formations.

Plus, they both get flanking in Civ, so they're obviously the same branch of military.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:15 am »

Hi!

Maybe people think it's fresh and exciting because they grew up during the Disney Renaissance, and now that it's over they think it sucks (it does now) and are turning to the work of some of the skilled Japanese animators. Spirited Away was pretty good, too. But it's not at all like Akira in any way, shape, or form.

I have no real background in sociology, and nobody I know would be able to factor in on this, but I'd guess it's the same way some people are really into comic books, or really into Bollywood (though, Bollywood has such a distinctive and recognizable style that I can actually see why you would form a passion for it. With anime, I feel that if everything was the same but with 90s era Disney animation, nobody would notice a difference in actual quality).

I am not quite sure how to take that. If you mean that the graphical quality as such does not differ from Disney, I think you are correct (of course, both Disney and anime show variation based on project size etc.). However, at least from my point of view, the essential thing is the content difference, which does, how ever, also easily link up sub-consciously to the graphic design, I suppose (so if I see a Donald-Duck-type drawing I expect certain content, and if I see a certain style similar to a manga artist I like, I expect something similar to that manga artist).

For details on how I see the content difference as for the original manga main stream in Japan, please see my previous post in this thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59031.msg1322676#msg1322676

It is just the middle section of that post.

Deathworks

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2010, 09:33:43 am »

Where did this discussion end up?

Oh that's right. In another debate between nerds who's knowledge of the subject begins and ends with Total War and C&C.

Gosh, this'll definitely lead to some meaningful discussion, as both sides clearly know what they're talking about.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of the discussions in this forum tend to involve people acting as experts while using popular culture as an info source, anyway.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2010, 10:20:32 am »

Scythes and pitchforks, while not really designed for combat, are still incredibly dangerous. Not nearly as efficient as, say, swords, but quite sharp enough to kill people if wielded with enough righteous anger. You don't want to be on the receiving end of a peasants revolt, let me tell you that.

Modern farmers have tractors instead. One of those could probably(?) disable a tank if it wasn't for those pesky weapons that engineers insist on mounting on the bloody things. Tanks, that is, not tractors.

Maybe if it ran out of ammo?

Yup, I think Western Front Trenches were a perfect analogue to infantry formations, and tanks to knights whose job it was to break these formations.

Plus, they both get flanking in Civ, so they're obviously the same branch of military.
They also have more movement points than most units and I'm pretty sure they don't receive defensive bonuses. In fact, I think knights upgrade into tanks. QED

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2010, 10:28:58 am »

They also have more movement points than most units and I'm pretty sure they don't receive defensive bonuses. In fact, I think knights upgrade into tanks. QED

Just like real life! :D

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:18 am »

The joke (or insult, whichever way you choose to see it) is that you have a lack of knowledge on the subject because your source of knowledge (Total War and C&C, even though it isn't really) is a terrible source. So saying that Total War is, in fact, a terrible source, as is Tiberium Sun, is basically what I'm saying as well.

So I'm not sure what you were going for there.

How could you gain knowledge from C&C, anyway? Now, if you claimed Modern Warfare or something, I'd understand.

Actually, using Modern Warfare as a source of info is a good way to start a flame war on /k/.

Not that it's hard to start a flame war on /k/, but still.  Being a historian is the only way to get real information on this subject.  Anything else and you're either this, or this.

Pick one, they're equally detestable.
Shoes...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 16, 2010, 12:05:44 pm »

Most of the discussions in this forum the internet tend to involve people acting as experts while using popular culture as an info source, anyway.

Just like real life! :D

yeah, sometimes life imitates art!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »

Or he could be a Troll. Which would be even worse.
Or an undead Yeti warrior.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2010, 09:36:22 am »

What about Native Americans? Supposedly they could shoot through steel breastplates of the Colonial Era. Not sure if that is with or without silk shirts.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2010, 09:50:33 am »

Those breastplates were pistol-proof, so I highly doubt it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27