Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26858 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2010, 04:17:55 am »

Tanks are "highly mobile", heavily armored platforms originally designed to breach heavily fortified positions (which would be, if your trying to find analogues for medieval roles, the contemporary equivalent of a shield wall or something like that, leaving the role of the tank roughly analogous to that of heavy cavalry). I suppose there is quite a bit of psychological impact of a nearly invulnerable engine of destruction bearing down on you, or rolling through your town square, so calling them "shock troops" probably isn't a stretch.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2010, 04:54:53 am »

Tanks beat samurai and Knights!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2010, 04:58:27 am »

Dude, an orbital weapons platform could totally beat a samurai!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 16, 2010, 05:09:36 am »

Haven't you ever seen Akira?

You can't even counter "that was just one movie where that happened", because there is no movie where orbital weapons platforms kill samurais (please correct me).
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 16, 2010, 05:11:03 am »

Haven't you ever seen Akira?

You can't even counter "that was just one movie where that happened", because there is no movie where orbital weapons platforms kill samurais (please correct me).

I have not seen Akira. Enlighten me.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2010, 05:21:16 am »

Go watch it, it's quite good, and I have no opinion of anime one way or another so you know you can trust me.

I really have no opinion. It just seems like a handy medium for making films, especially ones which would cost millions and billions to make if they were live action.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pathos

« Reply #261 on: June 16, 2010, 05:30:48 am »

Where did this discussion end up?

Oh that's right. In another debate between nerds who's knowledge of the subject begins and ends with Total War and C&C.

Gosh, this'll definitely lead to some meaningful discussion, as both sides clearly know what they're talking about.

That didn't really work, though. Total War has like three dominating factions (which usually don't really make sense), and I've only ever played Tiberium Sun.

Tiberium Sun WAS fun, though.

Sorry, Jack, you ain't Aqizzar. =p

Go watch it, it's quite good, and I have no opinion of anime one way or another so you know you can trust me.

I really have no opinion. It just seems like a handy medium for making films, especially ones which would cost millions and billions to make if they were live action.

This is true, in a way. I just don't get the obsession with them.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2010, 05:36:26 am »

Maybe people think it's fresh and exciting because they grew up during the Disney Renaissance, and now that it's over they think it sucks (it does now) and are turning to the work of some of the skilled Japanese animators. Spirited Away was pretty good, too. But it's not at all like Akira in any way, shape, or form.

I have no real background in sociology, and nobody I know would be able to factor in on this, but I'd guess it's the same way some people are really into comic books, or really into Bollywood (though, Bollywood has such a distinctive and recognizable style that I can actually see why you would form a passion for it. With anime, I feel that if everything was the same but with 90s era Disney animation, nobody would notice a difference in actual quality).

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2010, 05:39:06 am »

Where did this discussion end up?

Oh that's right. In another debate between nerds who's knowledge of the subject begins and ends with Total War and C&C.

Gosh, this'll definitely lead to some meaningful discussion, as both sides clearly know what they're talking about.

That didn't really work, though. Total War has like three dominating factions (which usually don't really make sense), and I've only ever played Tiberium Sun.

Tiberium Sun WAS fun, though.

Sorry, Jack, you ain't Aqizzar. =p

The joke (or insult, whichever way you choose to see it) is that you have a lack of knowledge on the subject because your source of knowledge (Total War and C&C, even though it isn't really) is a terrible source. So saying that Total War is, in fact, a terrible source, as is Tiberium Sun, is basically what I'm saying as well.

So I'm not sure what you were going for there.

Pathos

« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2010, 05:52:16 am »

The joke (or insult, whichever way you choose to see it) is that you have a lack of knowledge on the subject because your source of knowledge (Total War and C&C, even though it isn't really) is a terrible source. So saying that Total War is, in fact, a terrible source, as is Tiberium Sun, is basically what I'm saying as well.

How could you gain knowledge from C&C, anyway? Now, if you claimed Modern Warfare or something, I'd understand.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 16, 2010, 05:56:09 am »

How could you gain knowledge from C&C, anyway? Now, if you claimed Modern Warfare or something, I'd understand.

Oh for God's sake, you're still not getting it.  He's saying you wouldn't gain any knowledge from C&C, you'd just believe you did, therefore somehow making you qualified to pontificate on wildly anachronistic military superiority scenarios.  C'mon, Jack may be a poor substitute for me, but not that poor.  You people aren't even trying to be put in your place.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 16, 2010, 05:56:53 am »

Fucking hell. I mean, wow.

Just wow.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 16, 2010, 05:57:27 am »

magma would beat a tank, in know it form playing DF

Pathos

« Reply #268 on: June 16, 2010, 06:04:23 am »

Oh for God's sake, you're still not getting it.  He's saying you wouldn't gain any knowledge from C&C, you'd just believe you did, therefore somehow making you qualified to pontificate on wildly anachronistic military superiority scenarios.  C'mon, Jack may be a poor substitute for me, but not that poor.  You people aren't even trying to be put in your place.

Do people really take knowledge from C&C? I think you're trolling me, now. =(

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 16, 2010, 06:17:17 am »

Hehe this thread is going places too.

Anyway, the classic peasant/townsfolk always seem to have pitchforks. Pitchforks can be deadly in the right hands, right?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27