Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 105140 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #375 on: June 15, 2010, 09:11:53 pm »

Linux graphics work for other people.  You may want to try asking for help in the Modding forum.  Graphics aren't quite the same as in 40d, so copying them over is probable to give you some kind of problem.

Also, graphics don't work in PRINT_MODE:TEXT.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:14:43 pm by Footkerchief »

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:03 pm »

Linux graphics work for other people.  You may want to try asking for help in the Modding forum.  Graphics aren't quite the same as in 40d, so copying them over is probable to give you some kind of problem.

Also the graphics raws are copied with each region save now.  You have to set them before creating the world, or change them for that specific save.  Look in data/save/region1/raw/graphics.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

pll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:10 am »

Also the graphics raws are copied with each region save now.  You have to set them before creating the world, or change them for that specific save.  Look in data/save/region1/raw/graphics.

Ah. That was it.

Thanks, fixed.

Spy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 16, 2010, 04:00:07 am »

As a mac user, i'm not going to tell you what to run.

That said, I wanted to reply to the comment on wine being hard to set up/use/etc.

I'll agree it was a hassle in the past, and OS X isn't exactly wine's target platform, but things have improved since then, on both the wine side and the OS X side.

Last time I tried it out I used http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/, which is a nice and convenient package to install.

As for x11, yes, it does use x11, but I wonder how long it's been since you had tried; os x has had x11 since 10.3 I want to say, and a quick lookup shows that the current version (since 10.5) at least is built off of the same x.org as everyone else uses practically.

Now, to the dwarfy parts! If run through wine, I successfully was able to use the (at the time) newly released df2010 with dwarf therapist, with a minimum of bugs. (Honestly not anything one shouldn't be able to put up with if you can stand the bugs in DF itself; if I recall, changing focus from DF to DT was iffy, eg, had to make sure to click back into DF to get input back)

Performance was also decent, and i'm sure would be even more so now with the SDL versions.

Anyway, just a couple of dwarf cents on the topic.

Spy

Arkatufus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 16, 2010, 02:55:08 pm »

My fort went into an unstoppable downward spiral after 4-5 people died in a siege/mining accidents. Everyone went unhappy then one by one went berserk  :'(

Got a statue garden up with a few artifacts, there are about 1000 booze in the cellar, 3000 lavish meals in the pantry, engraved tiles, bedroom for everybody, and still, since they went berserk one by one, each berserk death started the next berserk and it just goes on like a nuclear chain reaction  :'(

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 16, 2010, 03:20:08 pm »

My fort went into an unstoppable downward spiral after 4-5 people died in a siege/mining accidents. Everyone went unhappy then one by one went berserk  :'(

Got a statue garden up with a few artifacts, there are about 1000 booze in the cellar, 3000 lavish meals in the pantry, engraved tiles, bedroom for everybody, and still, since they went berserk one by one, each berserk death started the next berserk and it just goes on like a nuclear chain reaction  :'(

They had neutrons coming out of them?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:29 pm »

Not to bug ya too much, but any idea when .07 will be released? I could adapt to the farming thing, now that I understand the whole deal with the mud a bit better and can plan ahead, so I'm not that desperate about the farming bug now. The esc key issue is still a major hindrance to getting started (you know, DF OCD > > ) in fort mode, so.... yea.... :D

I'm just also bored, so.... :P heh......

Not going to keep bugging you about the release stuff though, just saying. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:22:51 pm by smjjames »

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:26 pm »

Not to bug ya too much, but any idea when .07 will be released? I could adapt to the farming thing, now that I understand the whole deal with the mud a bit better and can plan ahead, so I'm not that desperate about the farming bug now. The esc key issue is still a major hindrance to getting started (you know, DF OCD > > ) in fort mode, so.... yea.... :D

Glad you got used to the new farming FEATURE. It ISN'T a bug. And .07 could be released soon, just to give us a break from those bugs he's patched. That'd make me happy. And then .08 can be an all military/combat release...please?
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2010, 07:05:10 pm »

Glad you got used to the new farming FEATURE. It ISN'T a bug. And .07 could be released soon, just to give us a break from those bugs he's patched. That'd make me happy. And then .08 can be an all military/combat release...please?
Yes, getting rid of the training/equipping bugs would be a big relief.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2010, 07:20:52 pm »

I haven't gotten used to the new farming 'FEATURE' since I've been messing around in the arena, but from reading some threads around, I understand how it works better. Theres still some bugs going around involving mud though.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 16, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »

The only thing I dislike about the farming-underground-requires-mud thing (be it bug or feature) is that it's so convoluted to wet an area.  You either need to flood it from a water source, then let it evaporate, or you need to channel above it and dump buckets of water onto each square.  It's tricky because the intuitive solution - make some buckets, tell dwarves to throw 1/7 water on each square of farm - doesn't exist.  If there was an option from the farm plot to irrigate with buckets I would love the new system.  More difficulty with farming was needed, anyway.  It would even be pretty cool if seasonal or yearly irrigation was required to deposit new mud (have each plant grown remove some mud from the square, perhaps). 

Flooding would still be the fastest way to muddy up your entire plot (and advanced players would no doubt set up refillable flooding systems and trigger them each season), but bucket-irrigation should be much, much easier than it is now.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 16, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »

I usually just dig a ramp up into a murky pool. Gets the job done.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »

Personally, I'm partial to channeling off from a brook/river, using a floodgate to water the caves as needed.  Takes slightly more doing then the other options (both pre and post-embark), but it's both repeatable and secure, and more importantly allows you to farm as large an area as you care to dig out.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #388 on: June 17, 2010, 12:06:35 am »

Out of the blue, one of my soldiers threw a tantrum and started a fist fight.

With a tiger. A trained war tiger.

The tiger is wounded, the soldier is currently attending a party.

???
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Arkatufus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2010, 02:50:41 am »

They had neutrons coming out of them?

Berserktron, neutron doesn't have charges :P
I do hope the fort survive... just lost a mayor that doubles as the chief medical and broker to the berserk plague, this is the first fort i have that reached 130 pop x_x
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30