Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107117 times)

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #360 on: June 15, 2010, 11:27:36 am »

DF Perfect world is an excellent utility for tweaking stuff, it let's you set the exact number of cavern layers as well many other stuff. And caves iirc.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

pushing.robot

• Bay Watcher
  • Wind-Up Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 15, 2010, 11:51:06 am »

Same. I got 20 Migrants then the rest of my Civilization died. (Did I mention they were at war with the Elves?) So when I was supposed to get my next migration wave, I got some cannibal-stick-throwers at my front door. After the door was gone, they charged in, but I was ready, I made a small base in the Underground cavern and sealed off the entry in there. So now there are 7 Elven Swordsmen, 8 Elven Bowmen, and 3 Elven Spearmen running around slashing, shooting (I think?), and stabbing everything to death.

If the Elves decide to swim into my base, they will no doubt kill my fisher first. I need some beast in the Ocean to protect me now, ohh well, LOSING IS FUN!

We can not get out. The end comes. Flutes, flutes in the deep. They are coming.

Regarding dead civilizations, I've had the opposite end of the spectrum:  The last two worlds I've genned have had no Goblins whatsoever.  Curiously, in the last game the Humans had taken over the goblin cities, and the Human caravan came with a Goblin guild representative (who I nicknamed "Mouth").

But after being flooded by useless immigrants (7 dwarves to 60 in a year?) a dead civilization sounds pretty good about now.  Until there's a better way to manage labors, immigrants need to be limited to 5 per season or so.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2010, 11:56:44 am »

But after being flooded by useless immigrants (7 dwarves to 60 in a year?) a dead civilization sounds pretty good about now.  Until there's a better way to manage labors, immigrants need to be limited to 5 per season or so.
Like Dwarf Therapist?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

pushing.robot

• Bay Watcher
  • Wind-Up Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:32 pm »

Like Dwarf Therapist?

Not available for OS X, to my knowledge.  And I really shouldn't need third-party apps that fiddle with DF's memory.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 15, 2010, 03:47:47 pm »

DF Perfect world is an excellent utility for tweaking stuff, it let's you set the exact number of cavern layers as well many other stuff. And caves iirc.
What is this and where can I download it?

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 15, 2010, 03:51:26 pm »

Like Dwarf Therapist?

Not available for OS X, to my knowledge.  And I really shouldn't need third-party apps that fiddle with DF's memory.
There is a program called Wine that allows Mac users to run Windows based programs.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 15, 2010, 04:09:03 pm »

Like Dwarf Therapist?

There is a program called Wine that allows Mac users to run Windows based programs.

Isn't WINE for Linux (though OS X is Unix...)?
Also, I really doubt that even though WINE is only a wrapper utilities can access other program's memory. Unless you mean run DF through WINE too, which I'm still not sure would work.

Best idea is just to get a PC. All you have to do is dumpster dive for a day or two and fix the machine up. Probably have to borrow a Windows CD from a friend, but there's usually registration code on the side of the case (not sure if that's legal or not, but to tell you the truth not even MS's lawyers care about the EULA) so you don't have to buy a copy.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 15, 2010, 04:45:36 pm »

Like Dwarf Therapist?

Isn't WINE for Linux (though OS X is Unix...)?
Also, I really doubt that even though WINE is only a wrapper utilities can access other program's memory. Unless you mean run DF through WINE too, which I'm still not sure would work.

Best idea is just to get a PC. All you have to do is dumpster dive for a day or two and fix the machine up. Probably have to borrow a Windows CD from a friend, but there's usually registration code on the side of the case (not sure if that's legal or not, but to tell you the truth not even MS's lawyers care about the EULA) so you don't have to buy a copy.

Wine works for OS X, too:
Quote from: www.winehq.org
Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X

A version of Dwarf Therapist for Linux is being talked about here.

Both Macs and personal computers running Linux are PCs, as much as Microsoft would like to have the term to itself.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »

Both Macs and personal computers running Linux are PCs, as much as Microsoft would like to have the term to itself.

Okay, WINDOWS PC, wisearse. Also, Microsoft has absolutely nothing to do with calling Windows machines PCs. I hate the whole "They must have money, so they must be evil capitalists who steal from the little guy", even though that's not how capitalism works. People call them PCs because Apple called their machines Macs, and Linux is relatively new compared with the other two.

I mean, why would you make an entire post solely to bash Microsoft? There's no point. Especially in a thread where it doesn't even belong.

Of course, one could say that my retaliation is unnecessary and off-topic, but the thing is, you started it, so while it is true that my posting in retaliation is unnecessary, it's even more unnecessary to make the inflammatory post in the first place!
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 15, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »

you started it

Hmm.

Best idea is just to get a PC.

You started it, and you're the one going on a diatribe.  Please have the maturity to stop here instead of continuing to try to get the last word in.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 15, 2010, 05:31:06 pm »

you started it

Hmm.

Best idea is just to get a PC.

You started it, and you're the one going on a diatribe.  Please have the maturity to stop here instead of continuing to try to get the last word in.

It was only one post. And who's trying to get the last word...
Okay, you win.

pushing.robot

• Bay Watcher
  • Wind-Up Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »

I've compiled Wine for OS X before, but it's a hassle, needs a ton of support libraries and source files, and the X11 implementation it uses doesn't integrate well with Quartz.  What's more, the performance lags behind the native version.  I can boot into Windows (or use a VM) as well, but that's still more trouble than I want to put up with.  Thankfully, if they do release a Linux version of Therapist an OS X port should be fairly straightforward.

Considering the main thrust of Dwarf Fortress is managing dwarves it seems strange that there isn't a better way--without resorting to third-party utilities--to organize them.  And assigning labors isn't the only annoying thing about rapid immigration; it's a pain having to expand your base so drastically in the first couple years.  I usually hit the population cap in 3-5 years, which seems a rather short time to set up an immense fortress especially when I sorely lack highly trained dwarves.  It would be nice to stretch out the expansion over a couple decades to make the first few year or two less stressful and the remaining ones more interesting.  But this isn't the suggestion forum, and I've rambled on a bit.

pll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2010, 08:51:21 pm »

Does anyone else have trouble with custom sprites in the Linux SDL version?

I modify raw/graphics/graphics_example.txt yet it seems it's never read or something.

I even deleted the example folder but it doesn't seem to affect anything, it displays the default colorful dwarfs.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »

Does anyone else have trouble with custom sprites in the Linux SDL version?

I modify raw/graphics/graphics_example.txt yet it seems it's never read or something.

I even deleted the example folder but it doesn't seem to affect anything, it displays the default colorful dwarfs.

Did you turn on graphics in init.txt?  Have you installed a graphics set?

pll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2010, 09:04:25 pm »

[GRAPHICS:YES]

Yes, it's effectively showing up graphics. But not the ones I want.

I have setup this before in 40d running windows. This is a snippet of the file:

At least it should show up my Touhou Dwarves fine, right?
Code: [Select]
graphics_example
[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:TOUHOU]
    [FILE:touhou/dwarves.png]
    [TILE_DIM:16:16]
    [PAGE_DIM:11:5]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF]
    [DEFAULT:TOUHOU:1:4:ADD_COLOR]

The file is there, everything should be fine. Yet it still shows the default graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30