Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107115 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #345 on: June 14, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »

Update on my dead civilization: migrants stopped coming after 7 (for a total of 14) adult dwarves. We've since been blessed with three baby girls. Fortunately the elves have brought more exotic beasts every year to tame for our military defences, though so small a fortress will never attract the attention of goblins-- our only threat is the drums in the deep. We are finally able to produce steel. It's been six years.

I still think that a dead civilization ought to be at least a "warn on embark."  :-\
Same. I got 20 Migrants then the rest of my Civilization died. (Did I mention they were at war with the Elves?) So when I was supposed to get my next migration wave, I got some cannibal-stick-throwers at my front door. After the door was gone, they charged in, but I was ready, I made a small base in the Underground cavern and sealed off the entry in there. So now there are 7 Elven Swordsmen, 8 Elven Bowmen, and 3 Elven Spearmen running around slashing, shooting (I think?), and stabbing everything to death.

If the Elves decide to swim into my base, they will no doubt kill my fisher first. I need some beast in the Ocean to protect me now, ohh well, LOSING IS FUN!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #346 on: June 14, 2010, 03:38:40 pm »

It sounds like there's been a rash of dead civs. Dwarves became wimpier or everything else got stronger?  :o
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 14, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »

It sounds like there's been a rash of dead civs. Dwarves became wimpier or everything else got stronger?  :o

ooh, difficulty =D
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 14, 2010, 05:02:51 pm »

My hunch is megabeasts. Civs wiping each other out on small maps is pretty common though, I think it was back in 40d too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 14, 2010, 05:08:04 pm »

My hunch is megabeasts. Civs wiping each other out on small maps is pretty common though, I think it was back in 40d too.

Mostly megabeasts since if a civ gets alot of them in a very short period of time before they are able to build up their numbers and strength, they are definite civilization killers.

Otherwise its the civilizations that wipe each other out.

Arkatufus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 14, 2010, 09:07:09 pm »

My farms worked correctly for over a year before i got the "no availabe seeds" message.
But thank you for that response, because i know now what happened.
The mud beyond the farms was gone !
When i removed the plot the ground beneath had no mud.
Normaly the mud stays.
But how can it happen that 8 farms 3x3 in 2 rows of 4 loose all the mud ???

This happened to me in .05 and I thought it was a feature, because I see with my own eyes that the mud on adjacent tiles gradually disappeared like evaporating water.
I eventually re-flooded the area to get the mud back.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 14, 2010, 10:08:09 pm »

Elves seem to get wiped out during worldgen pretty often now. Maybe it's the extra competition from the couple extra civs I have modded in.

Any progress on making things like mud-based forgotten beasts killable again?  :D
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #352 on: June 14, 2010, 10:11:08 pm »

I have a steam-based forgotten beast. That sounds utterly unkillable. Fortunately it does not actually have a path to my fort, because it's in a cavern that was revealed by channeling into a volcano.

DeadCiv Fort: 3 marriages, 4 babies, 8 years and counting...

Edit: 6 babies... 5 girls and a boy.  :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:27:20 pm by abadidea »
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 14, 2010, 10:47:46 pm »

I have a steam-based forgotten beast. That sounds utterly unkillable. Fortunately it does not actually have a path to my fort, because it's in a cavern that was revealed by channeling into a volcano.

Do not get rid of this fort. You are the last survivors of dwarves. You must ensure their survival.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2010, 10:50:47 pm »

Do not get rid of this fort. You are the last survivors of dwarves. You must ensure their survival.

This is actually the longest I've ever run a fort, helped along by the fact that fewer dwarves == higher framerate, and it's so ridiculously safe as long as I don't break into the caverns that I can actually walk away and take a shower while it runs.  8)

I found a use for burrows though. Defined a beds-tables-food-and-drink-zone and confined all the children to it. Up to a population of 20 now and sooner or later those wretched kidnappers are going to come. We'll be ready... we'll be ready.

Edit: We are now up to SIX girls and one boy...! And all the offices except broker are held by a woman. Definitely an Amazonia matriarchal society rising up from the ashes of the fallen civilization.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:12:35 pm by abadidea »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:44 pm »

I found the problem to my error spam.
I had at one point un forbade things belonging to a local antmen civ i previously thought dead.
Once I found them, I killed them.
Turns out they killed a forgotten beast that turned into ash.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 15, 2010, 12:53:53 am »

Hi!

About dead civs: The main culprit seems to be too many caves, I think. Reducing them should help a bit ease the strain on the civs.

I am wondering, if there is a world with a dead dwarven civ and a living dwarven civ, do you get the option to actually embark as members of the dead dwarven civ, or is it removed as there is a living civ that should take precedence? If you can't deliberately start as a dead dwarven civ if there are still living dwarven civs around, a warning at embark doesn't seem reasonable - after all, the impossibility to get a living dwarven civ is not due to some embark decision, but due to world gen (meaning that if you could embark as members of a dead dwarven civ despite there being living ones, an embark warning would make sense).

Therefore, if you can only embark as a dead civ if there are no living civs around, a warning at the end of world gen informing you that no playable civ has survived seems more reasonable to me.

Deathworks

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 15, 2010, 08:47:28 am »

I'm not so sure about the caves, I always set the parameters so that EVERY square of the world has a cave under it. I've only had one gen where civs went extinct, and that was a pocket world. The dwarves survived as well.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 15, 2010, 09:34:34 am »

Caves mean more huge-sized thieves who prefer to steal than to kill. I think it's harder for them to make a civ go extinct than megabeasts or other civs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:30 am »

Hi!

That is strange.
When I have too many caves, civs that are nowhere near any other civ regularly get destroyed during the first decade of world gen.

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30