Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12225 times)

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »

Yes, he can do these things legally, but the spirit of the original post was whether it was his duty to continue to save lives, or if he should just say, "screw it, lets make some money"

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2010, 01:54:19 pm »

I wouldn't say it was mandatory for him to be a surgeon and save lives in the first place. Who is to say he HAS to defy nature and save lives?

It's not like he made them sick.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2010, 05:03:42 pm »

Yeah, a general surgeon and a cosmetic surgeon require seperate training. So your situation dosen't work.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »

maybe there is some recycling alternative that doesnt involve doing the full residency again (given that you're not exactly starting from point 0), but yeah, it's not straightfowardly interchangeable.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »

Yes, he can do these things legally, but the spirit of the original post was whether it was his duty to continue to save lives, or if he should just say, "screw it, lets make some money"

Can't he do both?

"Oh. My. God. I swear, I'll die if I can't get my boobs enlarged."
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2010, 02:22:22 am »

The only thing that can decide if someone will die or not is if they are alive or not. So you can only really work on life expectancies. And realistically, a diligent and honest environmental protection officer can probably rack up more life years than any surgeon...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2010, 02:31:58 am »

By this sort of logic, every farmer in the United States is a murderer because he is alotted permitted tobacco acreage based on his total acreage, and either by growing or simply selling his permitted acres he participates in the most lethal industry in the world. Then by your inaction as a member of society who is not burning farms and sabotaging tobacco warehouses, you are also an accomplice.

I think this is a pretty silly discussion. A surgeon doesn't have a duty to operate on patients any more than a student has a duty to become a surgeon. The only person truely responsible for if they live after a heart attack or not is the person who has the heart attack. If responsibility for an individual's welfare falls on anyone but that individual, we start going down the road to a nanny state.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2010, 02:47:23 am »

But some of us like nanny states...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2010, 03:03:42 am »

But some of us enjoy living in our parent's basement...

Fixed.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2010, 03:50:52 am »

Yes, because clearly living in a country that provides health care to its citizens is the equivalent of living in your parents' basement. Yes. That is exactly a perfect analogy.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2010, 04:31:30 am »

Your parents have basements? In my day we were lucky to have an excrement pit between 10 hovels. And our hovels weren't like modern hovels, they were strips of bark, held together by Poison Ivy. At least, that was what the rumours said, we never got to see the hovels, we were envious of the folk living in the pit! And your spoilt with your parents, we didn;t have parents, instead we were made in a factory, from used parts! That didn't even match! Why, I got two left feet, Kevin just had a toe at the end of his stump, and we were the lucky ones!
Read the First Post!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2010, 05:21:23 am »

Also, troll harder.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2010, 06:21:46 am »

Your parents have basements? In my day we were lucky to have an excrement pit between 10 hovels. And our hovels weren't like modern hovels, they were strips of bark, held together by Poison Ivy. At least, that was what the rumours said, we never got to see the hovels, we were envious of the folk living in the pit! And your spoilt with your parents, we didn;t have parents, instead we were made in a factory, from used parts! That didn't even match! Why, I got two left feet, Kevin just had a toe at the end of his stump, and we were the lucky ones!

Stop describing my country's average living conditions.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2010, 07:55:05 am »

I see we've picked up a new wanker while I was away on business. Or did Andir just change his name?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2010, 08:09:20 am »

Nikov, aren't you supposed to be a Christian somewere along the line?
I'm pretty sure that charity and helping your equals is not optional.
And taking freedom as an excuse isn't going to help your cause.
You know you're believing in a god that will judge you on how you lived, right?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18