Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12197 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2010, 10:30:40 pm »

One denomination doesn't care how you treat other people. Your dedication to God is proven by how financially successful your household is. If you are one of God's chosen, you will be wealthy.

That's actually an old Hebrew belief as well, which the Book of Job was written to counteract.

Namely, that good things happen to good people, and bad things happen to bad people. Job was supposed to show that, you know what, sometimes life just fucks you up the arse no matter how virtuous and law-abiding you are.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2010, 10:36:53 pm »

One denomination doesn't care how you treat other people. Your dedication to God is proven by how financially successful your household is. If you are one of God's chosen, you will be wealthy.

That's actually an old Hebrew belief as well, which the Book of Job was written to counteract.

Namely, that good things happen to good people, and bad things happen to bad people. Job was supposed to show that, you know what, sometimes life just fucks you up the arse no matter how virtuous and law-abiding you are.

And those who are grateful and God-fearing in spite of receiving very little are the most virtuous of all, IE the widow's mite.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2010, 11:13:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure that all that anyone's going to get from that on a first read through is that God is a colossal dickhead and you should probably just wash your hands of the whole thing because both Heaven and Hell will ruin your shit no matter how pious you are.

Man do I hate the Book of Job.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2010, 01:40:22 am »

I'm pretty sure that all that anyone's going to get from that on a first read through is that God is a colossal dickhead and you should probably just wash your hands of the whole thing because both Heaven and Hell will ruin your shit no matter how pious you are.

Where were you when the Earth was made?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2010, 01:47:15 am »

Freedom isn't an excuse, its the God-given natural state of man.
It most certainly is not. Humans are social animals, they naturally form societies. Societies have rules, if you go around punching people your society will stop you, not to mention the natural inclination of humans to judge others. The nature of humanity fundamentally opposes many aspects of freedom.

The 'natural' state of man is still free, thanks to a notion called the social contract. Even if one is born into say, feudal England, one can opt to not pay taxes and become an outlaw, removing themself from society in order to return to the natural state of freedom. Society might persecute such persons by law or otherwise, but this is the projection of force and an attempt to subvert those living in the natural state.
Human naturally seek social means before becoming outlaws, and becoming an outlaw is often the result of desperation, and therefore chosen regardless of natural inclination. It is well known human nature to persecute those who do not involve themselves in society, to make them subject to society. A contract implies an agreement, people do not agree to join society, they are bound to it by their natures, people often submit to grossly unequal situations to maintain their social connections. If I was truly free, I would be able to rise into the air and drift with the breeze, it is infuriatingly obvious that there is no being that created this world with the intention that humans be free.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2010, 02:49:53 am »

Where were you when the Earth was made?

Buggered if I know. I reckon I got high on life and woke up about 15 years ago with a hangover that lasted three years.

I actually don't know what you mean, incidentally.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:54:07 am by Jackrabbit »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2010, 03:56:59 am »

The prevailing Habiru belief at that time was essentially the same as the corrupted version of "Karma" that's been circling nowadays - essentially, that What Comes Around Goes Around. The writer of the Book of Job (whoever the hell he was) was probably an early theologian, and the book was written precisely to tell the people who believed the whole thing to revise their way of thinking, because they'd got it wrong.

The book seems to sometimes go astray, because on an initial reading it does seem to indicate that if God and Satan are having an off day, they will test you, and by "test" we mean they'll kill your kids.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2010, 04:32:49 am »

But that's like my favourite book! I love it almost as much as Ecclesiastes, because they're both incredibly bitter.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2010, 04:34:05 am »

But that's like my favourite book! I love it almost as much as Ecclesiastes, because they're both incredibly bitter.

You ever wonder if they guy who wrote it had recently gone through some sort of tragedy and was just incredibly pissed off at the whole thing?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2010, 04:37:51 am »

I don't know, the Book of Job dosen't seem very out of place to me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2010, 04:40:09 am »

You ever wonder if they guy who wrote it had recently gone through some sort of tragedy and was just incredibly pissed off at the whole thing?

No, Ecclesiastes was probably written by an old fogie, ranting about all these whippersnappers and their newfangled ways of worship, and all those sins they're committing. Job was probably written by a satirist.

I don't know, the Book of Job dosen't seem very out of place to me.

It would if you've read the Bible with an analytical eye.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2010, 04:42:01 am »

I see nothing about Job that makes it stand out. Please, explain why you think otherwise.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2010, 04:47:59 am »

I see nothing about Job that makes it stand out. Please, explain why you think otherwise.

1) First appearance of the Satan character in his "God's hand" incarnation
2) A hero who is actually being directly persecuted by God (technically, through the Satan Character), as opposed to the foreign nations the Hebrews were constantly fighting (and who the Egyptian nation in Exodus are a stand-in for)
3) The book isn't a prophetic book. It's written as a fable or allegory, unlike the prophetic books, which were ostensibly written by or about the prophets
4) It was written to counter a prevailing theology, rather than setting the rules down as many of the previous books were
5) No one gets divinely smacked during the course of the book. Seriously. Most of the books involve YHVH sending wild bears to eat the children who were making fun of Elijah's bald spot.
6) Ask Jackrabbit about the rest. Also, I'm looking at the Bible from a literary standpoint - note the difference in tone between this and the prophetic and law books.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2010, 04:57:44 am »

1) First appearance of the Satan character in his "God's hand" incarnation
2) A hero who is actually being directly persecuted by God (technically, through the Satan Character), as opposed to the foreign nations the Hebrews were constantly fighting (and who the Egyptian nation in Exodus are a stand-in for)
3) The book isn't a prophetic book. It's written as a fable or allegory, unlike the prophetic books, which were ostensibly written by or about the prophets
4) It was written to counter a prevailing theology, rather than setting the rules down as many of the previous books were
5) No one gets divinely smacked during the course of the book. Seriously. Most of the books involve YHVH sending wild bears to eat the children who were making fun of Elijah's bald spot.
6) Ask Jackrabbit about the rest. Also, I'm looking at the Bible from a literary standpoint - note the difference in tone between this and the prophetic and law books.

1) If you make a distinction between Satan and Lucifer, this is just his first apperance. Is signifigant if you so not.

2) God has hurt his followers a lot by this point. Usualy when they do things he dosen't like. Example: King David and the Census.

3) That isn't a very big deal. Some people accept earlier books as allegory as well, most often Genesis.

4) Very well, I grant you this point.

5) Job's first set of wife and children are killed. Job himself is smited with non-lethal force.

6) I'll just do that once he comes online.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2010, 05:08:27 am »

1) If you make a distinction between Satan and Lucifer, this is just his first apperance. Is signifigant if you so not.

There's a semantic distinction you're missing here. Lucifer never appears in the bible at all, except as the title of a King, and as a mockery of him. The snake, the Lucifer character (of tradition), and the Satan character were all originally distinct.

EDIT: I'm having a hard time finding the quote in my King James bible, so here's the one wikipedia has:

Isaiah 14:12 - "... how you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, Son of Dawn!"

2) God has hurt his followers a lot by this point. Usualy when they do things he dosen't like. Example: King David and the Census.

That's not the point. In those instances, it was punishment. Job isn't being punished at all; he's just being persecuted. There's a difference.

3) That isn't a very big deal. Some people accept earlier books as allegory as well, most often Genesis.

Both creation stories share a lot of similarities with the creation myths of other nations (including my own), so I'll give you that.

4) Very well, I grant you this point.
Yaaaay

5) Job's first set of wife and children are killed. Job himself is smited with non-lethal force.

Like I said above, that's not punishment. That's (from Job's point of view) unjust divine wrath. Usually when the hero of the story does something wrong, he gets smite-ified. Job hasn't done anything wrong, so it's not smiting. Although my phrasing was bad, so the confusion is understandable.

6) I'll just do that once he comes online.

You should, he dislikes the book quite a bit. ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:11:42 am by Vester »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18