Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: Browser-based game: Illyriad // Bay12 Alliance Formed! Updates on first post!  (Read 57565 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Browser-based game: Illyriad - See first post for updates!
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »

Weren't we talking about a defensive army? I was thinking Halbardiers would be your more elite guards, and serve to actually pose a signifigant threat.

Ah sorry, got mixed up. I had early attacking/raiding in mind. [EDIT: The word 'shock' troops correlated to assault in my brain.] Halbardiers are indeed the elite guard against cavalry.

I'm not really concerned about defense at this stage. The settlements around me still have newbie protection. I plan to move on to infantry after Yeomen with my first settlement, skipping Halbadiers entirely. Hopefully this won't cost me a capital. :/
You can't lose your capital, only resources. Also I doubt anyone in your area has siege units and would spend them on a minor like you (or any of us) thus you won't lose buildings too. Oly resources and men who defend (if any).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DaveT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2010, 02:00:21 pm »

Latest addition: Gilanor in the SW -249, -198

I haven't done this sort of game in a very long time (Empirequest anyone?) so hopefully my enthusiasm lasts.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2010, 03:41:44 pm »

When does one get axemen? I intend to skip spearmen entirely as it does appear I'm on the edge of civilization and won't have to deal with defence until some time after protection ends. Also, is it necessary to upgrade the paddock to 1 in order to produce a couple of horses for caravan production?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2010, 03:51:11 pm »

Axemen are the dwarven swordsmen, which requires at least a level 7 mine,(to get a) level 5 Foundry, (again, to get) a Blacksmith, just to produce swords and chainmail, as well as a level 5 Barracks to research Conscription and Infantry. So not for some time.

And yes, you do need to upgrade the Paddock to produce horses. You also have to manually order the production of horses.

EDIT: About 1000 gold to go.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:34:41 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2010, 05:32:22 pm »

When does one get axemen? I intend to skip spearmen entirely as it does appear I'm on the edge of civilization and won't have to deal with defence until some time after protection ends.

As Akura said, it will take a while (one month real time depending on how active you are?) to get axmen. Yeomen make cheap cannon fodder and raiding troops. They should be sent out to attack inactive settlements to work in tandem with your caravans to gather resources.

I'm wondering what's everyone else' production per hour. Mine is (tax rate at 7%):
Wood +61
Clay +28 (lots of caches on World Map and I rarely run out of it, so I keep it low)
Iron +34 (often in shortage, because we dwarves only have three mines to start with)
Stone +74
Food -30
Gold +7 (was +20 until eaten by upkeep)
Mana +9
Science +12 (upgrade in progress)

EDIT: About 1000 gold to go.

Great job! I'll help to reimburse you the gold once I get some. Must leave to work now.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2010, 05:47:24 pm »

Tax rate at 5%

Wood +50
Clay +50
Iron +47
Stone +45
Food +1 (all farms al level 4)
Gold + 10
Mana + 9
Science +17

I'll try to send you gold Akura... if I don't forget again before sending my caravans for resources  :-[

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2010, 06:05:30 pm »

I'm wondering what's everyone else' production per hour. Mine is (tax rate at 7%):
Wood +61
Clay +28 (lots of caches on World Map and I rarely run out of it, so I keep it low)
Iron +34 (often in shortage, because we dwarves only have three mines to start with)
Stone +74
Food -30
Gold +7 (was +20 until eaten by upkeep)
Mana +9
Science +12 (upgrade in progress)
Tax rate 5%
Wood +50, having trouble finding them on the map.
Clay +36, having even more trouble finding it on the map.
Iron +42, had trouble finding it yesterday, no trouble today. Go figure.
Stone +41, same as above, but the only thing I needed a lot of stone for was to upgrade the mines.
Food -22, trying to upgrade farms.
Gold +16, plus the vast wealth from mining the map.
Mana +0, no tower.
Research +12, not too much need for research at the moment.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:02 pm »

Wood +40
Clay +48
Iron +35
Stone +38
Food -25
Gold +4
Mana +0
Science +12

I've got 9 yeomen and plan to raid nearest settlements when my newbie protection expires.

Also I don't plan to get axemen through blacksmith, I would rather get them through quests/trade. I mean, what, a month? I already have 8 swords and chainmails, and it's my 2nd day.

Did anybody try to attack animals on the map? What are your casualties? Do you lose your equipment used to train units? Is it worth it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2010, 06:48:18 pm »

1% tax rate
+22 wood
+20 clay
+20 iron
+20 stone
-18 food
+1 gold
+9 mana
+6 research points

Gee, I guess I'm building up slowly :(

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »

+25 wood
+25 clay
+26 iron
+25 stone
+3 food
+0 gold(taxations 0% right now)
+11 mana
+5 research

Well, at least my food isn't negative.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »

+28 wood
+28 clay
+24 iron (on a bloody stone map, oh well)
+35 stone
+0 food (yay balance)
+50 gold (no upkeep, a 7%, trying to get some to buy stuff.)
+0 mana (screw magic dwarves)
+6 reasearch.

kinda basic, but oh well, I didn't focus on reasources enough, so I got high level buildings but shit income, luckily the area I'm in is extremely populated with inactives so lots of free reasource spots pop up.
Nom nom nom

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2010, 07:25:35 pm »

I just noticed I'm going to completely run out of food in a few hours, because all the resource spots in range have been used up/replaced by clay  :o
Oh well, it's no permanent negative effect, right?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »

I just noticed I'm going to completely run out of food in a few hours, because all the resource spots in range have been used up/replaced by clay  :o
Oh well, it's no permanent negative effect, right?
Nah, just all your buildings shut down until food comes. I'm not sure if building construction/upgrading works, but I'd think it would for farms.

And you've got lots of clay? I've been looking all day for some. And wood. And of course, the resource pile next to my town(which used to be the gold I've been hoarding) turned into stone, which I'm not particularly short on, and I don't need to upgrade my iron mines - plenty of that, too. Just needing some wood and clay.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »

kinda basic, but oh well, I didn't focus on reasources enough, so I got high level buildings but shit income, luckily the area I'm in is extremely populated with inactives so lots of free reasource spots pop up.
Which kind of high level? I've got lvl 5 library, lvl 6 market and lvl 3 barracks. My maximum mine is lvl 5.

And you've got lots of clay? I've been looking all day for some. And wood. And of course, the resource pile next to my town(which used to be the gold I've been hoarding) turned into stone, which I'm not particularly short on, and I don't need to upgrade my iron mines - plenty of that, too. Just needing some wood and clay.
Yeah I've noticed that resources shift in a random way so I plan to build my food production now to avoid shutting off of production.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33:06 pm »

Don't forget that what resource you get comes from what tile your city is built on...
For example, I am built on a Rocky Outcrop, meaning I have 7 Quarrys 3 Mines 5 Wood/Clay/Farm
If build in a Dense Forest, it would be 7 Wood, 3 Clay 5 and 5Mine/Wood/Farm

Different Spots mean different things...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50