yes, montage me
- 5 (83.3%)
Ok, montage them
- 1 (16.7%)
i really would rather not montage one week
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: Fortress Mode: the RPG (is it dead or what lol?)  (Read 34588 times)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode: the RPG (come play!)
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »

Doc lights up a candle, and approaches the strange scratching sound and chipsthe underground wall with a resounding strike or two. The scratching sound stops for a moment or two, during which he strokes his grand goatee, before starting up again. Some pesky varmit lies just on the other side perhaps! Doc Swings hard this time at the rock wall, just to drive it away. And the sound settles down. Good. These are his sleeping quarters after all, just aas he leaves for the morning hike up over 100z levels to the surface. The scratching sound start up again but much harder this time. OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Doc hurls his pick across the room in frustration, he will deal with this later tonight. Just as he starts up the stairs he hears the crumbling sound of loose gravel hitting the floor. He turns around slowly, raising his candle up for a better view. Should he run for it! or see what it is?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:20:30 pm by Hastur »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2010, 06:20:16 pm »

I'll play if that's all right.
Do I start with the 800 money? Do I start with skills?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:50 pm »

yes you may take control of a dwarf that is unclaimed or ...

Skills I will do like this: You get 10 points you can spend on the following skills http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Skills. One point buys one rank up, but if you take at least 5 skills you get +5 more points for being versatile. **EDIT: but they must all be rank 2 or 3 to qualify**

Attributes will be based of of this http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Attributes but I have reduced the number of attributes to 10 because many are bast represented in game by the player, like creativity. As you can see the attributes go from a neutral level to +4 ranks if you are unbelievably strong to -4 ranks if you are unfathomably weak.           You get 10 rankups for your attributes.  Also the stats are reduced to

Strength
fine coordination
gross agility
toughness
endurance
health
Intellect
willpower
perception
charisma

Lastly you can trade 1 attribute rankup for 3 skillpoints or 3 skillpoints for 1 attribute rankup. and noone can start with a skill better than talanted.

lastly you get starting equipment 800 bucks worth, the equipment list is found on the first page, and if you would like anything else you can ask me for its stats and cost. Or i can amke a character for you out of a description or something

Ps there are sample characters all over the first page to get an overall idea of what the end result should look like

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »

Should he run for it! or see what it is?
He should investigate. It's the dwarven way.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »

Migrats have arrived!

Adwarf the marksdwarf slogs through branmbles and muck, hardly able to even see the nose in front of him through this fog. Nearly walking into the swamp he instead heads uphill a bit up a a rockier steeper and more importantly more firm and rocky slope, he continues on untill his elevation takes him up and above the shrouding mists covering the area. He looks up, and takes in the sight of the Mighty Volcano named Ashenscar, the Woe of Creation. In another direction he sees the scattered gnarled treetops barely peaking over the morning fog, but he notices some movement among the trees, and sudden jerking of the treelimbs of some far off trees. Maybe its nothing but he continues on. his goal is in sight. A tower sticks up out of the metaphorical sea of mist before him. With a guarddwarf sitting on top waving him on in the distance. A fellow crossbowdwarf from the looks of it! With his new bearing he approaches camp

edit spelling mistake
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:53:21 pm by Hastur »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2010, 06:51:51 pm »

Meanwhile

Doc takes a cautious step forward. then another and another untill he finds himself within sight range of the newly formed hole in his precious bedroom/the hostpital. Frowning, his nose detects the damp smell emanating from the hole and he imagines the underground river or lake that must be lying beyond and the prosperity it should bring. Instead he notices the spiders crawling every which way out of the hole. Peering into the darkness of the hole with his candle, the candle sputters and flickers from the moisture and breeze splurging out of the hole. Despite the moisture he hears no rushing water, must be a lake then, even better! Finally they can stop relying on the surface rescources out there in this hellhole, or at least stay away from the vermin and blood gnats from above.

just then, his daydreaming is interrupted by a sudden movement and he startles and recoils from the hole just in time. A sharp beak from a large creature snaps at his candle with blinding speed, all feathers and sinew, the beak slashes at docs hand and hurls the candle from his grasp. He looks down at his hand with the last moments of light from the rapidly snuffing out candle, the end of his pinkie is missing and another finger bends at an unnatural angle. Doc curls his hand and looks up at the creature that flails and flutters on the other side of the oppening. Their eyes meet and the horrible thing stops and cocks its beaked and horned head sideways before brayying like a diseased hag at Doc. Should Doc Panic? or pick up the pick and strike back?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »

Nirur Torir's character has disappeared, right? I'm planning to make a mason, but if Nirur Tirur is still alive, it'd be more useful to make someone else.
Do I get to choose a Perk?
Is the Unwanted Kitten still available?
What season is it?

Guys, do you need any specific supplies that you would like me to purchase before heading over?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2010, 06:59:45 pm »

you dont get a perk yet, its ok to be a mason, theres plenty of masonry to do and it is genre appropriate to have redundant immagrant skills and you take an unwanted kitty if you so desire. Nirur torir is still around and it is day 23 and it is winter but about to be spring in like one week. So in one week it will be spring.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »

I thought Nirur Torir dropped out?
Do I need an anvil for weapon/armorsmithing? How much does it cost?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2010, 07:25:22 pm »

nirrur torrirs player dropped out but his character is still alive (..for the moment...MUAHAHAH) you dont need to bring an anvil because ther is one already at the fortress (one of the original migrants brought it)  and to do smithing you need some smithing toolset which can be bought for 500. or a cheap set of tools for 250 but will give a small penalty. well and the whole set up a workshop, get some ingots, have some coal, and whatnot.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2010, 07:27:10 pm »

Okay, here's my character.

Cheddarius

5: Skilled Mason
2: Novice Weaponsmith
2: Novice Armorsmith
2: Novice Bone carver
2: Novice Stone crafter
2: Novice Carpenter

-1: Weak
+3: Incredibly Dextrous
+3: Astonishingly Nimble
+1: Thick-Skinned
+3: Astoundingly Energetic
+1: Healthy
+2: Quite Intelligent
+2: Fairly Resolute
-2: Oblivious
-2: Repellent

Unwanted kitten - Free!
30 bandages - 50
Commoner clothes - 120
Weaponsmithing Toolset - 500
Personal Basics - 5
4 12 hour candles - 20
3 torches - 9
Bottle of beer - 6
Large Shield - 90

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2010, 07:34:26 pm »

I request that my character join the ranks of the NPC military, under the command of the player-elected Captain of the Guard.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2010, 08:01:42 pm »

Meanwhile, on the surface

Adwarf and Cheddarius are the newest migrants, to mosey on into this small dwarven outpost. The area outside is littered with a haphazard collection of workshops everywhere. with farmed plants nearing maturity growing all between the cracks and any available space.

Nanothnir erects a fence around the perimiter in an attempt to protect his farms, when the two figures coalesce from the fog bank all around him. With a quick reaction his bow drops from his shoulder and straight into his hands while he knocks an arrow with the other hand...

"Behind him a pudgy dwarf with a large shield strapped to his back calls out. Whoah Woah Woah, those are dwarfs out there  or my name isnt Hrodegr Grumbug! "

The dwarf munches on a plump helmet, and welcomes the two to Magmasparkles! The Shiny Falcon of Weaponry!

"Dont look at me, Ochita's the one in charge, by popular vote. you'll find him inside you cant miss him. oh and watch your step heh heh. not that i have to tell you two to be carefull traversing a dwarfs entrance aye?"

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

What are the dwarves' inventories? Is everyone armed?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:42 pm »

Simultaneously, at the swamps edge a few minutes walk away...

Cog the Fisherdwarf struggles to bring the fish in from the murky waters. If he could just see it in this fog he could at least know it is being dragged in. The fogbanks part for just a second and Cogs eyes behold a monsttrous feeding frenzy of fish. Whatever he caught, it has attracted opportinistic predators during the struggle. Cog plants his feet in some roots and sits down for maximum leverage and tries to yank his line free. Suceeding in yanking back a fish head right into his lap. On the downside however, the fish head is covered in zombie crabs that cling to it like their lives depend on it. The sizable crabs crawl grab and pinch anything nearby! There is even a zombie baby snapping turtle in there near the back!

Springing to Action, Cog slaps the fishhead away in a frenzy of flailing slaps, but it is too late and the zombie crabs grapple his legs and pinch his arms with their many many limbs. From the waters edge a plethora of creatures consume the fishes other half and search for more remains. They follow the trail of fishcrumbs towards the shore and swarm toward Cog. Should Cog scream for help and run? Or fight it out?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46