Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset  (Read 67126 times)

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2010, 07:15:01 pm »

Yeah, that's about the same experience I had.  It's a Turing tarpit.

As far as this project is concerned, I think the modeling app you use doesn't matter, as long as the files end up in the OSG format (or OBJ, or whatever else can be converted into OSG) at some point.  If Blender can't export straight to OSG, it can probably export to something else that can be converted.

OSG Composer Lite seems to be the successor to OSGEdit.  Hasn't been updated in about a year... but it seems to work, and it has a lot more polish than OSGEdit.
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2010, 08:36:43 pm »

Err what are you trolling about. For a start you got the totally wrong end of the stick with the original comment, though I don't know how. It didn't imply help wasn't welcome at all, It clearly implied that he should contact those currently responsible for anything art/model related to find out what he can do. That's not saying help isn't wanted in the slightest, it's just passing him along to the folks that know/care about the art. As a programmer he probably doesn't give *that* much of a damn about the art side as long as it gets done.
So its not him missing the point, it's you failing at the English language. Please can you tone down the hate before I have to report you to a mod. Even if you were correct, at most all that should have warranted was a polite explanation, not profanity.
Sorry if you were upset by my interpretation of Skeggox's posts. It seemed like his words were deliberately chosen to be vague and unproductive whilst sounding specific. The rest of my original post was merely a light-hearted comment on the sorry fate of OSGEdit, though it's a pity that so many projects go that way. As for the 'profanity', it matched the arrogance of the post to which it was responding. Still, it must be tough, being so easily disturbed by such words :-X
This project sounds awesome. I hope you guys and the community can pull it off.
I don't think I have something to contribute. Theoretically, if I made some newby models in Blender could someone make use of them for the project? (Probably once the project is further along and we have an idea of dimensions/properties 3D objects should have). I could probably make some amazing ROCKS (no one else could do this) or simple untextured objects (assuming there will be support for items laying around).
To that end I've chosen to use OpenSceneGraph to render the geometry and models. That means there is a decent composer called OSGEdit(http://osgedit.sourceforge.net/) that you can use to import models and play around with. If you can make it in OSGEdit, Obsidian will render it.

Currently, opsneakie and Djohaal are our modellers/render experts, and GFXiNXS our artist. Contact them (cc me) and lets organize what models and textures we'll need for starting out.
By the sound of the above, LucusUP, it seems that modelling contributions are not welcome,
You misunderstood.models are not yet useful, because the project is not yet to a point where it uses them.
No shit. Are you going out of your way to miss the point or does that just come naturally to you?
There's another OSG manager out there that isn't so outdated, we intend on using it. (I forgot the name and am too lazy to look up its name in our google wave brainstorm)
Again, disingenuity.
Disingenuity? (and why "again") Well excuse me but this is a voluntary collaborative project between fans of the game, thus you can only expect as much quality as the members of the community can do. If you know of a better scene management system that might work with skegg's needs, feel free to share all your knowledge about it. Otherwise if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, then please refrain from posting your disarticulated trolling. [snip]
Well I hope I've saved some people a few hours trying to get OSGEdit to work! =)
And if you want an argument, at least try to address the point rather than making a troll out of a straw man.
Yeah props to you if you can use Blender man. Trying to figure out the Blender interface is like trying to take a physics exam after smoking an 8th.
Since I'm posting anyway, I found that this made it clear ^_^

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »

I'm not disturbed by it, I swear like a trooper on a regular basis, I just found your post to be needlessly offensive. Sorry if I've offended you. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look through it when I get some free time not spent on Runesmith
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:33:55 pm by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »

Can everyone involved here please calm down and act with a little maturity? This thread is interesting and useful, let's please not derail it.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2010, 09:34:26 pm »

Lets all have cake?
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2010, 01:25:27 pm »

Yeah props to you if you can use Blender man. Trying to figure out the Blender interface is like trying to take a physics exam after smoking an 8th.
Would you believe me if I told you that I'll be helping to teach groups of 11-14 year olds how to make simple animated shorts with blender? In a single week?
Its very unconventional, so its hard to figure out on your own. But you might be surprised at how simple it really is once you cut through the UI.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »

Replying to track the thread.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »

So, ETA? I need a visualiser :P
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »

So, is this going to be backwards compatible at all? You know, work with the newer and older versions?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2010, 08:36:04 pm »

So, is this going to be backwards compatible at all? You know, work with the newer and older versions?

He's said multiple times it will work with DFHack which means it'll work with any version DFHack supports.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2010, 02:56:39 am »

Just posting to track the thread, but has anyone set up a concept art thread for the eventual models?

BTW Draco, how did you do that text thingy in your sig?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2010, 07:12:51 am »

> Replying to track
> posting to track

You guys haven't seen the 'notify' button I take it? :P

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2010, 07:33:48 am »

Notify doesn't give the same actions. Posting allows you to use "Show new replies to your posts." whereas notify sends an email. I don't want an email.

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2010, 08:02:07 am »

...has anyone set up a concept art thread for the eventual models?

Now this is a way that everybody can contribute to this project.  It will probably be a few weeks before the modeling gets cranked into high gear, but maybe you have an idea for how something should look.  So just whip out your google-fu, find images of things (appropriate for the time period), and post links to the pictures on the wiki page for Art

If a category doesn't already exist, just make a new one.  Multiple images of the same object are welcome, too... especially if they are from a different angle, or show a different variation of the same object.
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2010, 08:21:37 am »

BTW Draco, how did you do that text thingy in your sig?

Extended characters from UTF-8.  And then using more than intended.  http://eeemo.net/

I'll try and dig up the picture of one sig I constructed.  It was so bad that it had characters inside the post above mine (didn't work here).

Edit:
Found it http://i42.tinypic.com/2iqn6tj.jpg
The line of vertical text reads "dracocodeerror" several times.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:35:41 am by Draco18s »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15