Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset  (Read 67106 times)

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »

Notify doesn't give the same actions. Posting allows you to use "Show new replies to your posts." whereas notify sends an email. I don't want an email.

Oh, okay. Don't mind me then.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2010, 05:21:28 am »

I'm very interested in this, and I have significant Blender experience. I'd love to help. You said you had a Wave set up, I'll PM you my info for that if you'd like.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2010, 01:51:32 am »

Some feedback from questions in the Visual Fortress thread:

As to the exporters, I'm only going to start with something like povray. The modular nature will hopefully allow anyone to write any exporter for any format they want to, without needing to touch the core visualizer.

As for the geometry, I'll be implementing the constructions etc. as procedural geometry, like in Visual Fortress, meaning they are generated by applying certain rules to the tilesets. These rules will be done in Lua, so anyone with a text editor will be able to change how statues are oriented, how the crenelations of open topped fortifications look like, etc.

You want murder holes in the roof of your barbicon? Add a procedural Lua script that inserts them, triggered by a marker tied to a burrow, so on and so forth.

Another idea I've got is to do periodic recordings of the whole map's tileset info into a compressed stream, which can be exported as a series of scene files, which you then run overnight through a raytracer and encoder, and voila - you have a time-lapse movie showing the construction of you mega-dam/tower/castle :)

I'll make the tools - its up to you guys to make the awesome with it.

Sounds amazing! Lil request: Could you make stairs spirals so that large central staircases look alright? Thanks.
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:46 am »

Lil request: Could you make stairs spirals so that large central staircases look alright? Thanks.

Nifty!  I hadn't thought specifically about stairs yet, but that would certainly solve the problem of having an up/down starwell that extends for 50 z-levels...

If you're interested, here's a sneak preview of a model I finished last night.  It's a first-draft (so expect changes in the final project)... but it is rendered using OSG.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2010, 06:52:43 am »

Ahahaha love the comment underneath. Nice barrel! Can I haz bump mapping?
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2010, 06:55:09 am »

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2010, 07:10:38 am »

Can I haz bump mapping?

OSG Composer (a generic program used to render that image) doesn't do bump-mapping.  But the official Obsidian renderer will (if I remember correctly). 

tl;dr:  Yes, but you'll have to wait for it.  ;D
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2010, 07:15:07 am »

isn't that too many polygons for an object that will appear by the thousands on every fort?

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2010, 08:01:14 am »

Models for games etc are generally made with LOTS of polys and then the count is slowly reduced till they have an acceptable number
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2010, 08:26:08 am »

i used to mod for warcraft 3, i'm used to thinking low poly :\.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2010, 12:05:04 pm »

when people started talking about models for VF I think they were working on a number around 100-200(maybe 500? cant remember) triangles tops. so 6k polygons = 12k tris thats huge no matter how you look at it. and seeing how I tend to have a stockpile of over a hundred barels in it full of booze and food that makes it over a million triangles for the barrels alone. Im already cringing and telling my computer to not worry and that it will be ok :P.

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2010, 01:29:23 pm »

Lol, it will be okay.  :D

On the modeling side, the way the barrel was made, it is literally as simple as dragging a slider, to control how many polys are in each sub-object.  It's like... this example.  (Except, instead of a sphere, it's a bunch of bent cube-shapes that make up the boards; and two ring-shapes that make up the metal bands.)  The number of polys is almost meaningless right now; the settings I used were just picked out of the air and can be tweaked later.  But it looked pretty, so I thought I'd post it.

In the end, we'll have models with the "right" number of polys for this engine (whatever that number turns out to be).
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2010, 03:29:39 pm »

I'm currently sunken to the head in surgery, stiches, hearts and lungs, so it'll take a while for me to sync-back in activity (and let's not mention I still have a human brain to slice milimeter by milimeter in the lab!)
For the barrel try to simplify it into a tapered curved cylinder with some smart bump mapping instead of bent boxes, that is way too much detail for a simple barrel, even with progressive LOD.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2010, 03:58:27 pm »

For the barrel try to simplify it into a tapered curved cylinder with some smart bump mapping instead of bent boxes, that is way too much detail for a simple barrel, even with progressive LOD.

So... I take it you're not gonna like my higher-detail version, complete with modeled knotholes and small polygonal splinters?   :P
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2010, 04:05:22 pm »

So... I take it you're not gonna like my higher-detail version, complete with modeled knotholes and small polygonal splinters?   :P
Actually, if you make such a detailed model and then use the details for creating bump/normal maps for the simplified model... :P
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15