Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset  (Read 67124 times)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2010, 04:06:36 am »

Wow. Awesome progress.

The ingenuity of this modding community is really amazing.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2010, 09:00:17 am »

Ahahaha that's truly awesome! Seriously looking forward to the raytracer, any chance of some OpenCL implementation for it so those of use with powerful GFX cards? This puts my project to shame  :o
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:07 am »

I just wanna import it into 3dsmax.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2010, 12:24:42 pm »

Can't wait to get the source so that I can package it...

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:11 am »

First plan for after the LUA stuff is available: walk/fly around your fortress. Second plan: build fortress as you go (I assume it's possible to change the cells and force a redraw) with a simple interface.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2010, 01:44:34 am »

This project sounds awesome. I hope you guys and the community can pull it off.
I don't think I have something to contribute. Theoretically, if I made some newby models in Blender could someone make use of them for the project? (Probably once the project is further along and we have an idea of dimensions/properties 3D objects should have). I could probably make some amazing ROCKS (no one else could do this) or simple untextured objects (assuming there will be support for items laying around).
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2010, 01:37:06 pm »

I don't think I have something to contribute. Theoretically, if I made some newby models in Blender could someone make use of them for the project? (Probably once the project is further along and we have an idea of dimensions/properties 3D objects should have). I could probably make some amazing ROCKS (no one else could do this) or simple untextured objects (assuming there will be support for items laying around).
To that end I've chosen to use OpenSceneGraph to render the geometry and models. That means there is a decent composer called OSGEdit(http://osgedit.sourceforge.net/) that you can use to import models and play around with. If you can make it in OSGEdit, Obsidian will render it.

Currently, opsneakie and Djohaal are our modellers/render experts, and GFXiNXS our artist. Contact them (cc me) and lets organize what models and textures we'll need for starting out.
By the sound of the above, LucusUP, it seems that modelling contributions are not welcome, assuming the project gets off the ground in this respect at all. Also, OSGEdit has been dead for years and relies on an ancient version of the OSG library which would be easy to compile from sores were it not for the fact that the build system has been broken by revisions to cmake...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:05 pm »

To that end I've chosen to use OpenSceneGraph to render the geometry and models. That means there is a decent composer called OSGEdit(http://osgedit.sourceforge.net/) that you can use to import models and play around with. If you can make it in OSGEdit, Obsidian will render it.

Currently, opsneakie and Djohaal are our modellers/render experts, and GFXiNXS our artist. Contact them (cc me) and lets organize what models and textures we'll need for starting out.
By the sound of the above, LucusUP, it seems that modelling contributions are not welcome,
You misunderstood. models are not yet useful, because the project is not yet to a point where it uses them. This will eventually cease to be the case
assuming the project gets off the ground in this respect at all. Also, OSGEdit has been dead for years and relies on an ancient version of the OSG library which would be easy to compile from sores were it not for the fact that the build system has been broken by revisions to cmake...
Haters gonna hate

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2010, 02:11:51 pm »

You misunderstood. models are not yet useful, because the project is not yet to a point where it uses them. This will eventually cease to be the case
Yeah. This is what I figured. If there's a way to export models from other 3D programs to an acceptable form, I might end up contributing something later on in the project. Else I'd probably not.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:43:22 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »

assuming the project gets off the ground in this respect at all. Also, OSGEdit has been dead for years and relies on an ancient version of the OSG library which would be easy to compile from sores were it not for the fact that the build system has been broken by revisions to cmake...
Haters gonna hate
Hatin' or not, he has a point.  I tried to set up OSGEdit for my own entertainment, but had to give it up.  Way too painful (and this is from a guy who has installed Gentoo stage1 multiple times for fun).
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2010, 03:33:35 pm »

There's another OSG manager out there that isn't so outdated, we intend on using it. (I forgot the name and am too lazy to look up its name in our google wave brainstorm)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »

By the sound of the above, LucusUP, it seems that modelling contributions are not welcome,
You misunderstood.models are not yet useful, because the project is not yet to a point where it uses them.
No shit. Are you going out of your way to miss the point or does that just come naturally to you?
There's another OSG manager out there that isn't so outdated, we intend on using it. (I forgot the name and am too lazy to look up its name in our google wave brainstorm)
Again, disingenuity.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2010, 05:53:06 pm »

Err what are you trolling about. For a start you got the totally wrong end of the stick with the original comment, though I don't know how. It didn't imply help wasn't welcome at all, It clearly implied that he should contact those currently responsible for anything art/model related to find out what he can do. That's not saying help isn't wanted in the slightest, it's just passing him along to the folks that know/care about the art. As a programmer he probably doesn't give *that* much of a damn about the art side as long as it gets done.

So its not him missing the point, it's you failing at the English language. Please can you tone down the hate before I have to report you to a mod. Even if you were correct, at most all that should have warranted was a polite explanation, not profanity.
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2010, 06:00:29 pm »

You misunderstood.models are not yet useful, because the project is not yet to a point where it uses them.
No shit. Are you going out of your way to miss the point or does that just come naturally to you?
Again, disingenuity.

Disingenuity? (and why "again") Well excuse me but this is a voluntary collaborative project between fans of the game, thus you can only expect as much quality as the members of the community can do. If you know of a better scene management system that might work with skegg's needs, feel free to share all your knowledge about it. Otherwise if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, then please refrain from posting your disarticulated trolling.

LucusUP, send me a PM and I'll add you to our google wave so you can see what we are tinkering on the art department. If you can find your way around blender it already is a good step.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »

Yeah props to you if you can use Blender man. Trying to figure out the Blender interface is like trying to take a physics exam after smoking an 8th.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15