Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered  (Read 12978 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 05:16:46 pm »

Clock Tower: The First Fear
Scariest SNES game I ever known.  Please if it is dark and lonely where you are right now DO NOT do research about this game.

Oh that's where that GIF came from.

...not that I'd know anything about that.

The worst part is I know what .gif you are talking about.  Too bad I don't know where to find it anymore.
Nevermind I found what I was talking about.  This is it right?

I... may have been referring to the pedobear gif.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 05:17:22 pm »

Oh, never seen that one.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 05:36:42 pm »

I watched a video on Ted.com and then (against my better judgement and my own personal Internet usage rules) I read the comments thread below it.

The scary part was the slowly dawning realization that these people were not staging an Internet performance art. They actually believed these things they were saying.

Made me realize the willful ignorance present in random people you see on the street. Any of them might be crazy enough to push the big red button if given the chance. Knowing that, plus the fact that our Congressmen and President don't have to take psychiatric evaluations before taking office, left me shivering.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »

Franken Fran is hilarious.

How can that scare you?
I'm not 100% sure myself. It has it's good points and it's well made, but something about it just disturbs me. Plus I'm terrified of doctor's equipment. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Pathos

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »

You guys have never read House of Leaves.

Go read it, it's highly praised.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:54 pm »

I read it, but it didn't scare me.  And yes, I read it alone in the dark.

Dunno about the most creepy piece of fiction.  I'll have to think on that one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2010, 06:56:04 pm »

Jeff VanderMeer, City of Saints and Madmen. Creepy as hell in some stories.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 06:58:02 pm »

I read it, but it didn't scare me.  And yes, I read it alone in the dark.

Dunno about the most creepy piece of fiction.  I'll have to think on that one.

She's not afraid of a Minotaur in a house!

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Pathos

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 07:02:29 pm »

Damn it, that's not what it's about at all! She didn't read it properly or has BALLS OF STEEL.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:06 pm »

Damn it, that's not what it's about at all! She didn't read it properly or has BALLS OF STEEL.

I almost majored in English Literature--specifically literary analysis and symbolism studies.  None of that "So what does this say about the culture?" stuff.  Not to say that I couldn't have missed something, but figuring out alternate interpretations of a work is one of my specialties.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pathos

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 07:18:58 pm »

I almost majored in English Literature--specifically literary analysis and symbolism studies.  None of that "So what does this say about the culture?" stuff.  Not to say that I couldn't have missed something, but figuring out alternate interpretations of a work is one of my specialties.

I'm going with BALLS OF STEEL.

I was trying to work out a way to make BALLS OF STEEL blacker than the forum's normal colour, but then I realised that that's not possible so I bolded it instead.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 07:21:19 pm »

BALLS OF STEEL

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »

...figuring out alternate interpretations of a work is one of my specialties.

I wish you could hear me growling right now.  I haaate finding alternative interpretations of literature, mainly as a holdover from gradeschool, where whatever interpretation I came up with was always "wrong".  College literature I've done better with, but mostly because the professors were cooler.

Anyway, the scariest fiction I've ever read.  While not scary per se, Neuromancer is deeply unsettling to me for some reason.  Some combination of having people riding in a computer in your head, a family full of people who spend decades asleep, and the general sense that absolutely nothing in the world is important to anyone.  Mostly it's just weird and cool though.

No, the scariest thing I ever read was a relatively good "amateur" story that I can't remember the name of.  It had a long and meandering intrigue plot, but what terrified me was that the whole thing kicked off with someone's personality being rewritten whole but all their memories intact.  Maybe that's just a personal terror of mine, but waking up one day a different person but completely aware of it scares the crap out of me.  I might be the only person in the world who actually had a nightmare because of Flowers for Algernon.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »

Yeah I love how you can only interpret a piece of literature one way or it's wrong on the test.

Pathos

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:15 pm »

Yeah I love how you can only interpret a piece of literature one way or it's wrong on the test.

When I was eleven, (secondary school) we had a writing test in English. It was to read a short story and give your opinion on whether the ending was good or not.

I wrote that I believed the ending wasn't good due to the fact it contradicted the mood of the rest of it, with an injection of far too much melodrama. I don't think I knew what any of the words truly meant at the time, but I look back and know I was right.

Apparently you couldn't get full marks if you said it wasn't good. I actually got 0 because I apparently didn't give an appropriate answer. I WAS BLOODY ELEVEN.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8