Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered  (Read 12996 times)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 09:11:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lol seriously?

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 09:59:12 am »

That was really chilling though.
I figure you just jumped to the end to see the "second to last page" image or something.
I read that last night, and I was really moved by it.
Also the one about the painting.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 10:34:57 am »

Clock Tower: The First Fear
Scariest SNES game I ever known.  Please if it is dark and lonely where you are right now DO NOT do research about this game.

Is this a vague T2Darlantan reference?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 11:29:29 am »

Scariest SNES game I ever known.  Please if it is dark and lonely where you are right now DO NOT do research about this game.

Is this a vague T2Darlantan reference?

I don't know who or what a T2Darlantan is so I must have achieved legendary reference skills.

Oh that's where that GIF came from.

...not that I'd know anything about that.

The worst part is I know what .gif you are talking about.  Too bad I don't know where to find it anymore.
Nevermind I found what I was talking about.  This is it right?

Oh, and lastly...the newest game with the "clock tower" feel to it is this game called Haunting Ground.  It's not as scary, but it's the most modern one and it's pretty old now (2005 or something).  I watched the whole game from ChronoGear's Let's Play of it, which is a must watch in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:36:43 am by ToonyMan »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 11:39:53 am »

The Day Of The Jackal just because it is so close to fact.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 11:53:20 am »

Lol seriously?

I only saw the very very top fraction of that image and I hate you.
My sister described it to me before, but all the silly memes in the world don't help.
I read it online, but later I had trouble reading Gyo just because I knew the story was physically in the same book and it made me nervous to have it lying around. :P

Now, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, I liked the illustrations so much I bought the rest of the series. But yeah, that's after being slightly traumatized by them when I was younger first.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 12:14:06 pm »

Don't tell me you're afraid of a Minotaur in a house?

Have you read it? Honestly, the synopsis said what it's about, but it really doesn't do it justice.
Yeah, I just wanted to do the colored text malarkey
Lol seriously?

I only saw the very very top fraction of that image and I hate you.
My sister described it to me before, but all the silly memes in the world don't help.
I read it online, but later I had trouble reading Gyo just because I knew the story was physically in the same book and it made me nervous to have it lying around. :P

Now, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, I liked the illustrations so much I bought the rest of the series. But yeah, that's after being slightly traumatized by them when I was younger first.

I recommend Uzamaki

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 12:27:36 pm »

I finished reading Uzumaki like 15 minutes before starting to read Amigara.
It was excellent. One of my favourite horror books ever. It's really annoying that more of Junji Ito's stuff hasn't been brought over.

I think what made both it and Amigara so effective is that they're both so different from anything else out there. I've read a lot of horror so it's really nice to get a breath of fresh air. Well, nice when it's not ruining your life anyway.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:43 pm »

Instead, I put forward A Modest Purposal.

Basically, in very reasoned terms, it concludes that eating most of the one year olds in Ireland would be a good idea. Scary as hell how much sense it makes.
In case you weren't aware, that's actually a satire piece whose purpose was to protest the English treatment of the Irish. It wasn't actually a serious suggestions. My favorite part is the description of the children squeeling like pigs as they were dumped live into boiling pots. Absolutely hillarious! :D

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 02:50:04 pm »

I thought Slender Man got just a BIT over done when he became a giant bony alien reptile badslashervillian with billions tentacles and shit, though. That's what made it bearable to go to sleep at night, I guess.

It became over done for me when Marble Hornets started up. I enjoyed it more when it was just a bunch of interesting images and vague anecdotal stories that didn't agree with each other.

For content, in no particular order:

The Colour Out of Space by H.P Lovecraft - The part that unnerved me the most was when the wife of Nahum Gardner goes insane and he has to lock her in the attic for her own safety. She's basically described as walking around on all fours in the dark until she eventually dies. The image of opening that attic door and knowing there's a completely gone human, slowly walking around on all fours like an animal, in the dark creeped me right the fuck out.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker - Sort of an airy fable-like story that seems like it's written for young adults or children but would probably give me nightmares if I read it when I was really young. Has some creepy artwork thrown in it by Barker, as well.

The Shining by Stephen King - I have never liked walking through seemingly empty hotels, so the fact that this book basically takes place in a sprawling hotel during winter when everyone is gone kept me on edge the entire time. Plus, ghosts.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:11:12 pm by Davion »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 03:48:23 pm »

Codex: Blood Angels. That had to have been the worse fluff I've ever... oh, you mean seriously?

Franken Fran. I can handle scary things, but it's the scariness mixed with the odd innocence of it all that throws me off.

With Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, it's not so much the stories as it is the illustrations that freaks me out.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:08 pm »

Franken Fran is hilarious.

How can that scare you?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »

There was this one section of Metroid Prime, just after getting the Thermal Visor, where the lights go out and you're basically attacked by space pirate ninjas, followed shortly by metroids.. Then you have to go back through the entire pirate research lab (still no lights) and kill a Forgotten Beast made out of some generic rock and phlebotinum. That part still creeps me the hell out. And for those of you who haven't played a 3D Metroid game, metroids have the most OHSHIT mind-raping screech I've ever heard, on par with most Kirby final bosses.
This.
Also, most of Metroid Prime 2's Dark Aether deeply unnerved me, but Sky Temple Grounds was the worst. An open field has never placed so much apprehension in me. It was the only one out of the trilogy that I didn't get 100% in.
Anywhere in Prime 3 with Metroids (Skytown's second half, the Valhalla especially) was especially unnerving - the first because you knew exactly what was coming, the second... you just want to get in there and go get those code things and get right out.
Let's say that the back halves of all the Prime games are not ones that are easily played at night.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 04:36:15 pm »

Uzamaki was a bit silly to me for some reason. I never finished it.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 05:12:37 pm »

I figure you just jumped to the end to see the "second to last page" image or something.

No, i used to be really into /x/ shit back in the day. Ive always found it a great story but never actually scary.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8