Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Let's Play PBEM EFS, Escape from Earth Mod. Hey, we're starting again?  (Read 25466 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play PBEM EFS, Escape from Earth Mod. Full, starting.
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2010, 03:34:03 pm »

Sorry, I've already been claimed.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2010, 03:42:00 pm »

Ok, I'll take your worlds instead, in the name of Liberalism!

Note: The government of Santuary Aeon desires not to fight anyone, but rather offers to nurture those worlds that other parties fail neglect.  As Elite Liberals, we do not condone violence.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2010, 04:00:17 am »

Seventh non-Vau-infested planet surveyed, and it's uninhabitable again. I'm slowly losing hope.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2010, 08:56:57 am »

A habitable, fully land world has been discovered. Pandemonium. After several years of travel in their colony ships, the settlers will soon touch down on this frozen world and begin life anew. We are willing to share this world with the Avestites in exchange for critical resources, and our critical resources. Ie. diamonds for electronics, etc., as there will be surely only one of a certain resource on this frozen planet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »

Turn sent, thanks for the heads up x2yzh9.

By the way, if anyone was curious where 3 of those Symbiote Pod Ships went after leaving Holy Terra's orbit, I found them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also note that this is turn 5.  By my calculations, this is the last turn a player can move a Priest from Holy Terra, in order to vote in the turn 20 elections.  But I really am not sure.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2010, 05:15:26 pm »

I really dislike that house rule - the one asking players to keep nobles on Byzantium for 10 turns before elections happen. It's a huge hassle, hard to keep track of and generally silly.
If everyone else would agree, I'd say ditch it.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2010, 06:19:15 pm »

I agree keeping all your nobles on Byzantium should go. However, I think keeping one on there should be substituted. Getting assassins to your home planet is a pain in the ass, but Byzantium not so much. It would keep assassinations a threat, but not the kind that wipes you out in one turn.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »

I'm in favor of modifying the "10 turns of Byzantium residency", but some version of it would be beneficial.

I also mentioned the upcoming need to inhabit Byzantium more as a warning that this rule would probably need to be modified, since transport and distance is such an issue in this game.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2010, 03:41:05 am »

Keep in mind what scenario we're playing. There's going to be only a few inhabited planets, as compared to the vanilla game, sending spies and assassins to find some nobles might not be such an insurmountable task as before. Besides, it gives us incentive to even build those spy units in the first place.

Also, all the sceptors are already on Byzantium, so they provide another target for covert ops.

Still, I can see where the creators of that rule were coming from, and I understand that keeping your nobles(priests) in a transport over Byzantium only to land him for the elections is hard to accept.
Perhaps instead of 10 turns straight of residency in the capital, we could go with no less than two.
This will give the necessary time to react with assassination attempts, and will be easy to follow.

If needed, we could include the rule requiring priests to occupy the same hex as one of the sceptors on the planet. Depending on the number of sceptors owned, this should make finding them easier for any prospective assassin.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2010, 04:02:25 pm »

Very good points Il Palazzo.

I would suggest priests must occupy the hex of one of the sceptors and three turns of residency (so players have two turns to hunt down opposing forces and discourage jumping, two just seems too short).

However, since we must abstain from the first elections, I suggest moving up the first allowed election residency to turn 15 instead of turn 17, so as to motivate players to inhabit Byzantium earlier.

OR: Perhaps it might be more hectic and fun to totally absolve the residency rule for the first allowed election.  If you can get a noble to Byzantium by turn 20, and also take a scepter, you are free to join in elections.  Besides, SEALS are lousy assassins anyways.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »

You know, I figured the whole thing was going to be themed around people escaping from Earth, and later coming back into contact and then having elections. Also, a word to the wise, with the setup I have right now it took me about 500 turns to do research and building independantly to rebuild an empire that actually stood a chance against the symbiots[Ie. going back and destroying the symbiots] But I was pretty shit back then.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2010, 02:57:29 am »

Looming competition can speed up things significantly, x2yzh9.

As for rule 29, or whichever one was that, let's summarize:

A priest must be on Byzantium three turns before voting takes place, i.e. if first voting session is going to be on 20th turn, then the priests must reside on the surface of Byzantium, in one of the locations containing the sceptor, since turn 17. Players can ship them in on that turn, but no further movement outside of the sceptor's hex is allowed. If a player is forced to flee such a hex in any fashion, he can vote only if he owns another priest on Byzantium, as long as all the above rules apply to him as well.

We should probably wait for mainiac's return until we'll cast that in stone, though.

@EuchreJack: let's not complicate it any more and make it turn 17, not 15. Getting there at all, sometimes across the whole galaxy, and with all the symbiot crap flying about is enough of an incentive to plan ahead - at least for some players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2010, 06:58:59 am »

Actually, I suggested removing the residency restriction for the first voting session on turn 20.

Hypothetical from the proposed rule:
If my Noble is ousted from the sceptor on turn 22, then reclaims another sceptor on turn 27, can I still vote on turn 30?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21