Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110546 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #900 on: July 16, 2010, 04:49:35 am »

I give it a month.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »

The question arises as to how long it will work for, and what the side-effects will be, but I don't have any objection to it on aesthetic grounds...

How long? Long enough for the relief well. What's the side effect to sealing off a leaking pipe? Well. Uh. BP stock might go up. That sufficiently bad in your opinion?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 16, 2010, 03:59:23 pm »

Your faith in the corporate machine is heartwarming.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 16, 2010, 05:19:17 pm »

My faith in the corporate machine? No. That's not a corporate machine. That's a precision engineered chunk of steel bolted to the end of a pipe, designed to last as long as it takes to get the relief well dug. That's trust in hard science PhD's breaking slide rules and burning out water lathes for the last three months trying to solve a practical problem. I don't see anything emotional about that at all.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 16, 2010, 05:28:49 pm »

Who said BP consulted anyone qualified to make this cap? They could have just bolted a random chunk of steel to the end of the breach. Do you have any evidence that this attempt should work in theory?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 16, 2010, 05:30:01 pm »

You are taking for granted that it will last. Questions about the thing's durability are quite legitimate, specially considering the circumstances
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 16, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »

Also there are concerns as to the effects that the foreign object may have on ocean life, not that there is any of that left... Some concerns have also been raised about geological stability... Stock prices are not the only possible consequences...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 16, 2010, 06:25:15 pm »

Also there are concerns as to the effects that the foreign object may have on ocean life... Stock prices are not the only possible consequences...

You are not happy because they capped the gushing oil pipe with a foreign object which may have negative affects on ocean life. Reason has been defenstrated from this thread. I wash my hands in the face of this crucifying mob.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 16, 2010, 06:30:45 pm »

Actually, the cap is a great deal more technical that what is implied here. It's a series of valves (designed by an anonymous plumber according to one news story I read) designed to be closed one at a time so the leak isn't sealed violently. This means if bad things start to happen the valves can be opened again. Theoretically.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 16, 2010, 06:36:00 pm »

My faith in the corporate machine? No. That's not a corporate machine. That's a precision engineered chunk of steel bolted to the end of a pipe, designed to last as long as it takes to get the relief well dug. That's trust in hard science PhD's breaking slide rules and burning out water lathes for the last three months trying to solve a practical problem. I don't see anything emotional about that at all.

You'd think if BP's engineering was that good deepwater horizon wouldn't have exploded in the first place.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 16, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »

Also there are concerns as to the effects that the foreign object may have on ocean life... Stock prices are not the only possible consequences...

You are not happy because they capped the gushing oil pipe with a foreign object which may have negative affects on ocean life. Reason has been defenstrated from this thread. I wash my hands in the face of this crucifying mob.
I am not satisfied, because I am not yet certain that the problems are over. you, on the other hand, seemed to object on the grounds that it looked like a coffee container, I don't really see the reason in that...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:25 pm »

I am not satisfied, because I am not yet certain that the problems are over. you, on the other hand, seemed to object on the grounds that it looked like a coffee container, I don't really see the reason in that...
I should just make a sockpuppet account for all my random one-off quips so people don't get confused, ever.

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 16, 2010, 09:57:48 pm »

A Sockpuppet account?!?! How dare you, you vile treacher!

Note: This is my only registered account on these forums.
This space unintentionally left blank.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 17, 2010, 07:23:44 pm »

A Sockpuppet account?!?! How dare you, you vile treacher!

Note: This is my only registered account on these forums.

edit: whoops, shit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:29:34 pm by Jackrabbit »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 17, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »

I'm confident that cap will hold as long as needed.  Or at least significantly reduce the amount of oil escaping.   If anything it does look pretty solid.

I do figure there probably are going to be some adverse effects if it stays capped like that for too long, (more oil escaping from the ocean floor, possibility of damage to the relief rig when they reach the hole, or if that methane blowout bull actually has any credibility whatsoever maybe hastening that) but hopefully the relief wells should be complete before any of that becomes an issue, and if something catastrophic does look like it's going to happen they can open up a few valves to release some pressure.

I mean really, BP has screwed up so much I bet they have all kinds of agencies looking over their shoulder at their every move.  And even if they don't, screwing THAT up with shoddy work or bad design would probably put the last nail in BP's coffin.  If I was somebody in charge of BP, I would be doing everything I could do to NOT screw this up if I didn't want to get lynched in the street.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 79